Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 10:38 PM

20,306 posts, read 37,269,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm also confused about your comment here... goofy? How so?? Plus you're kinda contradicting yourself, by calling it quirky/weird/goofy, then "no design, mystique, NOTHING." So which one is it?

I have a 2021 Crosstrek Limited, and for the most part I really love it. It's not as much fun to drive as my old BMW or VW, but definitely more reliable and hardy. I live in the mountains with two large dogs, so it's just the most practical choice for my lifestyle right now. But it does have some fun features, and was the most enjoyable ride of the similar vehicles (e.g. Hyundai Kona & Honda CRV) I tested. The only major issue I've had is something with the front axles, which has caused me to wear through 3 expensive sets of tires in 3 years. And Subaru didn't notice/inform me of this, whether that was intentional or just an oversight; it wasn't until I took it for brakes at an outside shop, when they noticed the issue and explained why my tires wore down so quickly. Oy!

But yeah, I still wouldn't call it goofy OR emotion/design-less. I think it's just perfectly in the middle. This is the one I have (same color and everything), plus I added a few things like tinting the front windows. I think she's pretty.
Yes, the most common thing to do when purchasing a new vehicle is to look at the exterior, interior, and the engine. The easiest to forget is to look underneath of the vehicle. Nowadays some "yutubers" are starting to show the undercarriage of some trucks and cars, and pointing out the things truck and car manufacturers aren't providing with their vehicles. For example flex/rubberized transmission lines, instead of metal, plastic transmission pans instead of aluminum and other metals, and even the lack of metallic shields under the engine, transfer case, etc. There is one of the new mid-size trucks (not the Tacoma) that has the alternator near the bottom of the engine. If the driver is not aware of it and drives through deep water, it is possible for the alternator to malfunction. The alternator should always be located on the engine about level with either the top of the block or at least close to the engine heads.

Even some of the midsize trucks designed with off-road packages only have soft plastic shields under the engine, and fuel tanks. Metallic shields are optional

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-08-2024 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 04:09 AM

5,881 posts, read 2,992,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm also confused about your comment here... goofy? How so?? Plus you're kinda contradicting yourself, by calling it quirky/weird/goofy, then "no design, mystique, NOTHING." So which one is it?

I have a 2021 Crosstrek Limited, and for the most part I really love it. It's not as much fun to drive as my old BMW or VW, but definitely more reliable and hardy. I live in the mountains with two large dogs, so it's just the most practical choice for my lifestyle right now. But it does have some fun features, and was the most enjoyable ride of the similar vehicles (e.g. Hyundai Kona & Honda CRV) I tested. The only major issue I've had is something with the front axles, which has caused me to wear through 3 expensive sets of tires in 3 years. And Subaru didn't notice/inform me of this, whether that was intentional or just an oversight; it wasn't until I took it for brakes at an outside shop, when they noticed the issue and explained why my tires wore down so quickly. Oy!

But yeah, I still wouldn't call it goofy OR emotion/design-less. I think it's just perfectly in the middle. This is the one I have (same color and everything), plus I added a few things like tinting the front windows. I think she's pretty.
I should have probably mentioned Forester model more than anything. It’s goofy. Legacy has a let’s go find adventure type look to it. Crosstek is ok looking and good for what it is supposed to do.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:31 AM

10,610 posts, read 7,829,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I liked the original RAV4; the new ones are as big, if not bigger, than the Subaru. I have a 92 Toyota Corolla that's cost me less money to maintain since I bought it new in 1993 than the 2016 Forester has. I can't complain about still getting 30 mpg or more out of the Forester, but the maintenance is the reason I would never get another one.
Agreed. Although the new RAV4 is the only good looking (IMO) iteration since the original it is too damn big. Otherwise it would have been a consideration for me.

My daughter on the other side of the U.S. selected a 2016 Forester as a used vehicle. It's low miles at under 70K. When visiting I was surprised to hear that one of the rear wheel bearings was worn out. That shouldn't be happening so soon.

What have been some notable costs for your Subaru?

Old 05-09-2024, 10:27 AM

45,558 posts, read 60,822,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Agreed. Although the new RAV4 is the only good looking (IMO) iteration since the original it is too damn big. Otherwise it would have been a consideration for me.

My daughter on the other side of the U.S. selected a 2016 Forester as a used vehicle. It's low miles at under 70K. When visiting I was surprised to hear that one of the rear wheel bearings was worn out. That shouldn't be happening so soon.

Forester rear wheel bearings can be problematic. And replacements have to be OEM, aftermarkets won't fit. Ask me how I know.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:40 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,562,269 times
Default Love our Outback!

We have a 2013 Subaru Outback with over 200K miles on it. 4 cylinder, no bells or whistles.
It's taken us everywhere! Love this baby and will drive her into the ground!

Old 05-09-2024, 12:18 PM

23,434 posts, read 19,057,110 times
Quote:

For my '99 Forester (ancient, I know!) the only notable costs were right rear wheel bearing (more inconvenience and annoyance, not so much the $) and the head gasket. The same bearing was replaced twice over a short period but part of that could have been due to the mechanic. A mom-pop rustic shop in a tiny bush town. Second replacement solved the problem. The head gasket was a known issue for that generation, so I was aware and keeping an eye out for it. The problem didn't rear its ugly head for nearly 120K miles. Caught it early so it wasn't an emergency, and no engine damage was done. Once the car was scheduled to be torn apart, I had them perform some other upcoming/preventive work including the clutch, timing belt, water pump/cooling system, idlers/tensioners/pulleys too. It always ran fine and still does. Considering how well the Forester met my needs, the overall good condition the car was in at age 21, and how many future miles it probably still had I considered the expense an investment. The overall upkeep on that car had been pretty minimal.

Other than the relatively major 60K scheduled maintenance last year, haven't had any notable costs for the 5th gen Outback. Despite serious winters, it doesn't get driven too hard and gets to live in a dry, heated garage, so its life is pretty cushy compared to the Forester's! Might be bored out of its little mechanical skull for all I know .

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-09-2024 at 01:27 PM..

Old 05-09-2024, 04:55 PM

146 posts, read 48,325 times
Yeah.

Owners are pretty obnoxious about them and think they are luxury cars, or have that status.

I don't have I love my Mercedes and Lexus stickers on my cars or fridge.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:06 PM

45,558 posts, read 60,822,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
Yeah.

Owners are pretty obnoxious about them and think they are luxury cars, or have that status.

I don't have I love my Mercedes and Lexus stickers on my cars or fridge.
Those come from the dealer with the owner package when you buy one. Also T-shirts, hats, key rings, drink coozies and insulated mugs.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:31 PM

10,610 posts, read 7,829,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
…The only thing interesting about Subaru automobiles is the AWD system, MINUS the engine and CVT.
In this 30 minute video by the “Car care nut”, he repeatedly says that the Subaru all wheel drive system is vastly superior to any found in other cars. This guy is a life long Toyota technician btw. From previous exposures it seems that he usually just reviews Toyota trucks.
He also calls Subaru the Japanese equivalent of Volvo because they “do things their own way”, but unlike Volvo, Subaru gets it right. He says the CVT is a “good” one, but also allows that if anything goes wrong it’s big bucks to fix. He says that unlike older Subarus the seats are “super comfortable”.
Also repeated two or three times is that it’s “a lot of car for the money”.
His chief complaint is that they’re slow. Well, compared to our old, extremely dependable ‘97 Legacy it’s an absolute rocket ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDBqq2L4Gc

Old 05-10-2024, 09:05 PM

20,306 posts, read 37,269,510 times
Quote:
In this 30 minute video by the “Car care nut”, he repeatedly says that the Subaru all wheel drive system is vastly superior to any found in other cars. This guy is a life long Toyota technician btw. From previous exposures it seems that he usually just reviews Toyota trucks.
He also calls Subaru the Japanese equivalent of Volvo because they “do things their own way”, but unlike Volvo, Subaru gets it right. He says the CVT is a “good” one, but also allows that if anything goes wrong it’s big bucks to fix. He says that unlike older Subarus the seats are “super comfortable”.
Also repeated two or three times is that it’s “a lot of car for the money”.
His chief complaint is that they’re slow. Well, compared to our old, extremely dependable ‘97 Legacy it’s an absolute rocket ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDBqq2L4Gc
Subaru has a great AWD system that is not very expensive. The same can be said about the much more expensive Audi Cuatro, while the Mitsubishi EVO is also great and similar to the Subaru. But I prefer AWD & 4WD systems that can be engaged on demand (when needed), not one that is always active like the Subaru one. There are a lot of places and times where 2WD being rear or front 2WD is all that is needed. When so engaged, the vehicle does not consume as much fuel as when engaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive