Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 09:05 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,899,124 times

Advertisements

If the electric cars removed AM radios because of noise, then the $20 radio will suffer the same, right?

Meantime, for the purists here - note that plenty other places in the world have done away with AM altogether years ago. This is another one of those North American quirky things that other places don't grasp, mainly related to huge spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 09:08 AM

4,358 posts, read 7,271,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For those with a smart phone and streaming capabilities in their car, they can always get any AM (or FM) station anywhere in the world with the APP "Radio Garden." I will sometimes listen to stations in other countries like Britain, Ireland and Australia just for fun. One would have to know to tune in and listen for an alert, though.
Radio Garden only offers "selected" radio stations that broadcast in a given market. But yes, stations from around the world are included.

Old 05-03-2024, 09:19 AM

4,926 posts, read 3,358,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Who is still listening to AM?

Several manufacturers, including Tesla, Volkswagen, and BMW, do not include broadcast AM capability in their full range of vehicles.
Mazda, Volvo, Polestar, Rivian, and Volkswagen also dumped AM radio.
If the Act is passed, which seems likely, automakers would be forced to make changes.
Ford/Lincoln already reversed their decision.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/am-radio-new-cars/

If I don't have Pandora on, I listen to AM talk radio.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:25 AM

6,367 posts, read 7,808,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Who is still listening to AM?
Interesting article. I used to listen to AM radio when I lived in the LA Basin during commutes, but gave that up several decades ago. I've given up pretty much listening to all news broadcasts, and have found my life a lot more peaceful and less stressful now. If something is really important, it will filter down to me. Now in retirement, I live in an area with minimal natural disasters, so no need for emergency broadcasts. If the Yellowstone Caldera blows, I would rather be gone in the initial blast instead of having to survive in the post-apocalyptic world post eruption. The only pro sports I follow these days is southern hemisphere rugby, and that has never been broadcast in the U.S., so no loss there.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-04-2024, 02:01 AM

38 posts, read 28,369 times
That should have been enforced years ago.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:01 AM

4,168 posts, read 3,095,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
As mentioned this is a duplicate of a thread awhile back.

As I commented in that post we travel a lot throughout the US and we still see in both state and national parks signs that tell you to tune into an AM channel for updates. We have also seen them for info for both traffic conditions and weather.

I am not a techie so my question is what other means could they use for putting out information other than AM? Lots of these areas we do not get cell phone service.
Basically, none. Longwave (LW) radio was never a thing in North America, and it is dying out in Europe. AM radio is medium wave (MW). Although it has good coverage, there is an increasing amount of electrical interference. FM CB radio is now available, and is a way of getting around this electrical interference on the CB band.. Shortwave (SW) has skip zones, so it does not have continuous coverage. Shortwave radio is also dying out. As has been said before, FM radio is basically line-of-sight, so it is not suitable for reaching remote areas. We have a lot of remote areas in the US.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:32 PM

3,363 posts, read 1,751,353 times
I wished IP streaming radio can be cheaper because back then you never had to pay for radio wave usage such as AM/FM and satellite. Today, you have to pay for the usage of internet streaming ending to end. You pay for the hardware, internet service, and it was all paid for by advertisement and operators. Today it is much more expensive to listen to the same advertised content.

Old 05-05-2024, 01:11 PM
KCZ

4,690 posts, read 3,702,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We only listen to AM radio for sports, while in the car. Mariners baseball and Seahawks football are both on AM only. I agree, though, that as long as emergency broadcasts are only on AM that the manufacturers should continue to have AM available in all vehicles. It seems more sensible to broadcast those on all of the mobile phones, with only 3% not having one. Meanwhile 8.3% of U.S. people don't have a car.

And what percentage of people have a phone but no cell service, particularly if they're driving around? I'm lucky to get one bar where I live, which isn't enough to connect a call. OTOH, I can get a bunch of AM stations.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:09 AM

10,602 posts, read 7,118,525 times
Why is this even a conversation. The numbers speak for themselves, in the New York market 4 of top 10 radio stations are AM.

I listen to AM radio all day at work. Plus it's a necessity when driving through many rural parts of the country.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:17 AM

50,509 posts, read 47,285,378 times
Mexico. In my old stereo and we live near the border all stations are in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive