Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 09:10 AM

5,677 posts, read 5,898,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
When Jr talks, NASCAR listens.
Why would they? Just because he was the cash cow doesnt mean he is now. If anything, he pizzes them off, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 07:18 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,954,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Denny Hamlin suggests a change to the playoff format. Instead of a final single race, have a final round with 4 races.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2023/01...e-johnson/amp/
I'd much rather see that than the current format. The way it is now, theoretically a driver could win every single race throughout the season and playoffs right up the last race and then lose the championship. I like Denny's idea and have been saying the same thing, only difference being I've been saying three races instead of four.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:57 AM

6,475 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I'd much rather see that than the current format. The way it is now, theoretically a driver could win every single race throughout the season and playoffs right up the last race and then lose the championship.
I agree, and for that reason alone, the way to determine the champion, in the past, worked just fine and really didn't need to be changed.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:52 AM

5,677 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I'd much rather see that than the current format. The way it is now, theoretically a driver could win every single race throughout the season and playoffs right up the last race and then lose the championship. I like Denny's idea and have been saying the same thing, only difference being I've been saying three races instead of four.
So one driver could win 3 of the 4 races, or 2 of 3 and the other win the last one and get the Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree, and for that reason alone, the way to determine the champion, in the past, worked just fine and really didn't need to be changed.

It still works. Just because it doesnt work out for 1 or 2 drivers doesnt mean its a bad thing. Like I said, Denny is just whining because he didnt make the Chase because Ross did what he had to do to get in, and beat Denny. Id Denny had made it in, and won the Cup, he wouldnt be crying. I say do away with the Chase!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2023, 07:13 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
I'm glad Jr speaks up like he does, he is the voice of most fans.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:20 PM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Amazon is interested in joining the media rights negotiations that are to run through March.

I'm not sure what chance they have, but I like the idea of having better access to races that are not on the main networks.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:57 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Toyota says it has irons in the fire as far as expanding with other teams in cup...
Who might that be?
You can eliminate the obvious Hendrick , Childress, Roush, Probably Penske. Stewart Haas? hard to imagine. Petty not now with the addition of JJ. My guess would be Trackhouse would be the most likely.

Old 01-31-2023, 12:15 PM

17,612 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Toyota says it has irons in the fire as far as expanding with other teams in cup...
Who might that be?
You can eliminate the obvious Hendrick , Childress, Roush, Probably Penske. Stewart Haas? hard to imagine. Petty not now with the addition of JJ. My guess would be Trackhouse would be the most likely.

Roush.. I wouldn't ENTIRELY put out just yet. They're bottom of the Ford pecking order.. While both Jack and Brad are very much Ford guys.. There's a limit to the lack of support they might get.

Plus.. I really question where Jack Roush is right now.

I found some pics of him out and about last year.. But.. When's the last time you've seen him at a race? Obviously, TV might just not show him and he could be there.. But.. Man is 80 years old now. Soon to be 81.. I'm really not sure how much day to day involvement he still has. And.. I also am not sure how much control over RFK racing he has. I wonder who the majority owner there is.

Don't get me wrong. I'd still be shocked. Just.. Probably not quite as shocked as others would be.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:07 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Roush.. I wouldn't ENTIRELY put out just yet. They're bottom of the Ford pecking order.. While both Jack and Brad are very much Ford guys.. There's a limit to the lack of support they might get.

Plus.. I really question where Jack Roush is right now.

I found some pics of him out and about last year.. But.. When's the last time you've seen him at a race? Obviously, TV might just not show him and he could be there.. But.. Man is 80 years old now. Soon to be 81.. I'm really not sure how much day to day involvement he still has. And.. I also am not sure how much control over RFK racing he has. I wonder who the majority owner there is.

Don't get me wrong. I'd still be shocked. Just.. Probably not quite as shocked as others would be.
Good point, I should have prefaced with Roush (as long as Jack is still alive).... It is just hard to imagine since the Roush name is so synonymous with Ford. But anything is possible.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:46 PM

17,612 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Good point, I should have prefaced with Roush (as long as Jack is still alive).... It is just hard to imagine since the Roush name is so synonymous with Ford. But anything is possible.

Prior to me finding a pic of Jack with some Ford folks last year.. I was really going to put out there when was the last time someone saw Jack?

I was really heading down the road of thinking that he might be having some issues that was keeping him away.. Health issues. Which.. Is still possible. But the fact those pics are out there.. At least that means it's not a cognitive issue. Don't think they'd let him drive a car if that was the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing