Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 03:51 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Prior to me finding a pic of Jack with some Ford folks last year.. I was really going to put out there when was the last time someone saw Jack?

I was really heading down the road of thinking that he might be having some issues that was keeping him away.. Health issues. Which.. Is still possible. But the fact those pics are out there.. At least that means it's not a cognitive issue. Don't think they'd let him drive a car if that was the case.
I believe they showed him in the audience at Kenseth's HOF induction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 05:03 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Rule changes for 2023.

Ross Chastain's "Hail Melon" is now banned. No new rule, it would be covered under safety. That ought to tick off Denny Hamlin.

No more 4 race suspensions for a lost tire. 2 races if it happens off of pit road, and it's 2 crew members, not necessarily the crew chief. Apparently, on pit road, no penalty.. Other than.. Well, you lost a tire.

7 minute damage clock.

No cautions at road courses for stage breaks. Still will do the points awarding, but no caution.

Larger restart zones. To be re-evaluated after the first 5 races.

Anyone, regardless of points standings, qualifies for the playoffs with a win. However, they still have to attempt all races or get a waiver.

Updated Black Box in the cars along with select drivers wearing mouth pieces to record data

Rain tires used, if needed, at the Coliseum, Indy, Martinsville, Milwaukee, Wilksboro and Richmond, in addition to road courses.

Fire retardant underwear from neck to wrists to ankles mandated.

I think I concur or don't care with all of these. The tire rule could be interesting. What if they lose the tire on pit road and it rolls onto the track?

Old 02-01-2023, 07:27 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
To show the influence Jr has on NASCAR, he’s been harping on the no caution at road course stage breaks. I like that idea. Stage breaks at road courses could last over 20 minutes.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:57 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,896,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
To show the influence Jr has on NASCAR, he’s been harping on the no caution at road course stage breaks. I like that idea. Stage breaks at road courses could last over 20 minutes.
While its a good idea it has been discussed since after the first stage break at Watkins Glen. I think it was Chad Knaus who brought it. I remember the comments being made then.

Old 02-02-2023, 06:00 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Why would they? Just because he was the cash cow doesnt mean he is now. If anything, he pizzes them off, IMO.
Quote:
While its a good idea it has been discussed since after the first stage break at Watkins Glen. I think it was Chad Knaus who brought it. I remember the comments being made then.
So now you agree with Dale Jr?

Just twisting your b**ls. It's OK not to like him. As I said earlier, the sport needs people like him to be an advocate. He needs to be credited for bringing back North Wilksboro as well. I'm sure you will enjoy the All Star Race there.

Making NASCAR fun for the average fan is really his intention.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Just twisting your b**ls. It's OK not to like him. As I said earlier, the sport needs people like him to be an advocate. He needs to be credited for bringing back North Wilksboro as well. I'm sure you will enjoy the All Star Race there.

Never said I agreed with him, just dont think hes this super human "Save Nascar" spokesman people make him out to be. Hes not! Hes just another washed up driver who thinks Nascar should be his way or no way, and can be vocal about it because he has the funds to do so because of his last name. As for Wilkesboro, its a dump! Always has been, always will be until its ripped up and rebuilt completely. New grandstands, new booths, new bathrooms that arent a trough in the floor because the drunks cant pee standing up straight and pee all over someone else. Granted, the racing was pretty good, but eveything else was old and outdated. Even heard some drivers and pit crews complaining about the garage area.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:17 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Add Nashville Fairgrounds to that list. Jr and Marcus Smith are effecting changes to the NASCAR landscape every year.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Never said I agreed with him, just dont think hes this super human "Save Nascar" spokesman people make him out to be. Hes not! Hes just another washed up driver who thinks Nascar should be his way or no way, and can be vocal about it because he has the funds to do so because of his last name. As for Wilkesboro, its a dump! Always has been, always will be until its ripped up and rebuilt completely. New grandstands, new booths, new bathrooms that arent a trough in the floor because the drunks cant pee standing up straight and pee all over someone else. Granted, the racing was pretty good, but eveything else was old and outdated. Even heard some drivers and pit crews complaining about the garage area.

well, to be fair.. Wilkesboro was about 50 years old when it closed that had next to zero investment during those 50 years. It was actually a nice track with nice facilities by 1949 standards.

From images of the work being done I"ve seen.. It looks like for the All Star Race, there will only be grandstands in turn 1 and turn 2.

The only reason this place is getting reopened tho, is the free government money being thrown around. Ecoomically.. It just doesn't make sense.

I still worry.. There's just not enough infrastructure in the Wilkesboro area to support the track. Still have just the 4 lane road to get to it.. Not enough hotels.

Ouch.. Di a quick search for hotels the weekend of May 20-22.. See how close you can get to Wilkesboro with a room.

I just worry they're rushing this.. Might have been a better idea to do this NEXT year.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
well, to be fair.. Wilkesboro was about 50 years old when it closed that had next to zero investment during those 50 years. It was actually a nice track with nice facilities by 1949 standards.

From images of the work being done I"ve seen.. It looks like for the All Star Race, there will only be grandstands in turn 1 and turn 2.

The only reason this place is getting reopened tho, is the free government money being thrown around. Ecoomically.. It just doesn't make sense.

I still worry.. There's just not enough infrastructure in the Wilkesboro area to support the track. Still have just the 4 lane road to get to it.. Not enough hotels.

Ouch.. Di a quick search for hotels the weekend of May 20-22.. See how close you can get to Wilkesboro with a room.

I just worry they're rushing this.. Might have been a better idea to do this NEXT year.
Bingo. All Jr really did was hire a crew to run the weedeaters so they could scan the track for the E Racing during Covid. The local town/county council voted to pay for all of this.

I forgot just how horid the traffic was. Sure, traffic afer any race Ive ever been to was;' in a word, bad, but From NW, it was just oppressive. the second time we went I was glad we had our camper. Race was voer at like 4, we didnt pull out of the place until 930 that night, and were still in traffic.

Old 02-02-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Bingo. All Jr really did was hire a crew to run the weedeaters so they could scan the track for the E Racing during Covid. The local town/county council voted to pay for all of this.

I forgot just how horid the traffic was. Sure, traffic afer any race Ive ever been to was;' in a word, bad, but From NW, it was just oppressive. the second time we went I was glad we had our camper. Race was voer at like 4, we didnt pull out of the place until 930 that night, and were still in traffic.

They had smaller crowds back in the day (Which.. Technically might work out because they have smaller crowds NOW).. But, remember that they also had Holly Farms and Lowe's HQed there.

Both of those are now gone. And the taxes and infrastructure improvements they funded are gone as well.

Plus.. It's kinda in the middle of nowhere.. Though, that's not necessarily a killer for locals. I mean, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh.. They'll pull from those areas.. Even up to Richmond and down here in Greenville.. That's.. About 3-4 hours. That's a day trip.

But, they're going to have a tough time pulling the traveling fans. The ones from Florida or Texas that want to come see a race because.. It's an hour and a half to everything. Unless people just come up to camp.. Which.. There's likely to be no infield camping.. Proximity to Martinsville is a mild concern as well.

Again.. In a way here.. I'm stuck in late 90's/early 2000's thinking. Where tracks were pulling 100k+ fans to a race.. That certainly isn't happening anymore. So.. Some of what i'm saying here.. Understand that I may not be thinking it all the way through with modern eyes.

Anyway.. here's my biggest question.. What's the pit road deal?

Will this be like Martinsville where they put a pit wall basically around the entire track? Or will they go more the Bristol route where you have an 'open' pit road and under green, you only do down the front/back stretch and under caution you go all the way around?

I hope it's the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing