Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 04:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times

Advertisements

Look at the dollars behind each to compare apples with apples. 8 million for a ride with some teams that gets you third tier ride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 04:32 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Vettel must be feeling relieved, points and podiums again a possibility, if probably not that top step. Great job by the youngsters, Nasr and Sainz, and Verstappen did well.
I think Vettel realizes that despite owning 4 championships, after getting soundly spanked by Ricciardo in equal equipment last year, he's going to have to prove he can give superior performances in inferior equipment if he expects to be considered one of the all time greats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
To paraphrase Hobbs: "Yes, all these young lions at the peak of courage, condition and reflex. Not yet peak mental powers, which is why the military is so fond of them."
Gotta love Hobbs

Old 03-15-2015, 05:14 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,853,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think Vettel realizes that despite owning 4 championships, after getting soundly spanked by Ricciardo in equal equipment last year, he's going to have to prove he can give superior performances in inferior equipment if he expects to be considered one of the all time greats.

My thoughts exactly.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:36 PM

I don't any more than any other great driver. He won 4 regardless.I think one has to realize a team is behind every champion. I think perhaps its Alonzo who has to think perhaps he has a history of not being a team builder in these days when you have to compete against your own team mates. All complained that the car was built to suit his driving in past. Vettel is living the dream of most champions ;driving for Ferrari. If he can be part of renewed Ferrari; its like a crown on his helmet. Vettel; Schmucher; all Germans seem to be hated on it in Europe; but perhaps Ferrari fans can learn to love great success again over even that.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:48 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,197,160 times
I do not understand why Vettel is so hated. He seems to be rather humble and is actually quite funny. I think the British media is especially hard on him.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't any more than any other great driver. He won 4 regardless.I think one has to realize a team is behind every champion. I think perhaps its Alonzo who has to think perhaps he has a history of not being a team builder in these days when you have to compete against your own team mates. All complained that the car was built to suit his driving in past. Vettel is living the dream of most champions ;driving for Ferrari. If he can be part of renewed Ferrari; its like a crown on his helmet. Vettel; Schmucher; all Germans seem to be hated on it in Europe; but perhaps Ferrari fans can learn to love great success again over even that.

Of course a team is behind every car/driver on the grid but the true greats, from Nuvolari to the present, have been great even in lesser cars. Schumacher gave some great performances in less than top-shelf cars, something Vettel has yet to do. Being the 'best of the rest' this year would be a big boost to his resume.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,197,160 times
Red Bull threaten to quit F1 unless regulations are changed

I do think F1 can afford to lose two more teams.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM

I think they had little choice since Proto GP was attracting many manufacturers with their more aimed class for development. Renault has been talking about leveling because of expense to gains for their vehicles development needs. Vettel has 4 championships. If you look at the now no entry driver can afford to stay at bottom or even have much hope of achieving greatness at that level, its a whole other ball game as is said compared to say even 15 year ago,. Richardo may never get the chance he wanted; for example. Lewis saw the future. think about all the millions paid for a seat to never get a top tier seat chance.I think perhaps the glory doesn't mean much if you will every race by 35 seconds other than your team mate ;really.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Red Bull threaten to quit F1 unless regulations are changed

I do think F1 can afford to lose two more teams.
What a whiny little child Christian Horner's become. Funny we didn't hear him crying for equalisation by rule when Red Bull was dominating the series for 4 years running yet now sings the blues about Mercedes domination after only I season and 1 race, eh?

Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 PM

5,467 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What a whiny little child Christian Horner's become. Funny we didn't hear him crying for equalisation by rule when Red Bull was dominating the series for 4 years running yet now sings the blues about Mercedes domination after only I season and 1 race, eh?
The rules didn't prevent Red Bull's competitors from copying what they were doing. Of course, in the end, they didn't have to - they just complained a lot and the FIA outlawed many of Red Bull's innovative aerodynamic tricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing