Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 12:46 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,944,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
For people who want the small city lifestyle that Perth was known for are increasingly moving to other cities in WA such as Bunbury where the population will soon exceed 100,000. By the time it hits 200,000 it will be a full viable tiny alternative to Perth.

Perth will soon hit 3 million. One day 4 million and beyond. Expecting cities to stand still doesn't happen anywhere. They simply grow at different rates. Cities like Christchurch in New Zealand are growing in a much slower fashion compared to the main cities of Australia however that has always been the case. Perth was always expanding rapidly. The reason why it expands faster and faster is because 1% growth of 2 million is alot more than 1% growth of million. Perth's population growth has been pretty consistent over the decades so I don't understand why this is a shock
https://worldpopulationreview.com/wo...rth-population

Perth has always been described as a major Australian city. Major cities grow by their very nature faster and larger than less notable cities. I feel because Australia is so young, where so few cities have been described as large for so long, people thought it would just be Sydney and Melbourne and all the other cities would level off population wise. I don't understand why they thought this. The state capitals are essentially the main projects of every state Premier to grow into a serious economic powerhouse. The smaller cities will remain just that. Look at Newcastle in New South Wales for example. WA will continue to grow newer and smaller cities that will remain just that and for people who will soon hate the rat race of a big city they will move to such cities.

All countries have their major and minor cities that grow at different rates
Well Perth is among the most urbanised , sprawling cities that can be found anywhere. Hard to find a big city vibe or flair, which will remain likely even with substantial growth.

You mention Bunbury. That city will likely become p[art of the urban spread as the metropolitan area expands. I fail to see what is attractive in such a sprawl.

Perth has always had a growth . No one expects it to stand still. Just as no one, well hopefully not the majority want to see living standards decline , crime become ever worse, society become more tribal, international crime becoming ever more established, a hospital system that fails to cope with such population growth, same for schools and so on.

Outside of mining, Perth has long had difficulty in a lack of employment options. Many have had to go interstate to seek better employment opportunities. The large increase in Interstate arrivals is something not of long standing .

Newcastle NSW is expensive these days and less an option as an alternative to Sydney. There are less desirable country areas offering a life style, affordable, not blighted by crime and drugs to move to.

The South of WA , sadly indicates some of the issues expressed.

No western countries are growing at the insane rate of Australia outside of North America (Canada has recently been trying to get a grip on their massive intake)

Countries in Europe like Germany which took in a lot of people over a short time span, has seen their Far Right party AfD become the second main supported political party in that country. Sweden the same and so on.

It is clear an intake of too many people from non traditional sources, can indeed stretch tolerance at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 01:26 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Well Perth is among the most urbanised , sprawling cities that can be found anywhere. Hard to find a big city vibe or flair, which will remain likely even with substantial growth.

You mention Bunbury. That city will likely become p[art of the urban spread as the metropolitan area expands. I fail to see what is attractive in such a sprawl.

Perth has always had a growth . No one expects it to stand still. Just as no one, well hopefully not the majority want to see living standards decline , crime become ever worse, society become more tribal, international crime becoming ever more established, a hospital system that fails to cope with such population growth, same for schools and so on.

Outside of mining, Perth has long had difficulty in a lack of employment options. Many have had to go interstate to seek better employment opportunities. The large increase in Interstate arrivals is something not of long standing .

Newcastle NSW is expensive these days and less an option as an alternative to Sydney. There are less desirable country areas offering a life style, affordable, not blighted by crime and drugs to move to.

The South of WA , sadly indicates some of the issues expressed.

No western countries are growing at the insane rate of Australia outside of North America (Canada has recently been trying to get a grip on their massive intake)

Countries in Europe like Germany which took in a lot of people over a short time span, has seen their Far Right party AfD become the second main supported political party in that country. Sweden the same and so on.

It is clear an intake of too many people from non traditional sources, can indeed stretch tolerance at the very least.
While I agree with you about the urban sprawl of Perth this isn't unusual at all for Australian cities and something many American cities also share. Australia is in my ways a smaller version of the US that mirrors it's growth and cultural diversity in a similar way. Both countries are one of the few that jumped on the high rise boom in the 20th century.

Also I don't associate population growth with a decline of living standards especially when it has benefitted Australia for almost it's entire history. Locking our borders and sparodic busniess lock-downs for two years helped create an inflationary crisis we now face and a lack of housing. Of course there were issues before that but through our actions in the last few years we are faced with clawing our way back which will take many more years. The reason for the decline of living standards is much more complex. Policies that were introduced many years ago that have created a housing market that Is seen as an investment to attain wealth rather than somewhere to provide stability and shelter for one's family.

As for Bunbury. I live in south Perth and Bunbury is still a good 1 hour 30 mins drive from me. I don't see Bunbury being swallowed up by Perth especially as local governments are now going to focus on inner city density in order to stop the urban sprawl. I can see Perth filling out inland before it stretches any longer. I personally know of people who have moved to the South West, to the likes of Bunbury to avoid the business of what is now Perth. Yea there might be issues in small cities like Bunbury and NewCastle but what area doesn't. You only notice these issues as you get older because your values and goals in life change. Sydney had a horrible drug problem in the 80's however this in no way stopped it's population growth and those who made it their own Paradise on earth. It didn't stop the young people who moved there making the best memories of their lives despite the problems.

Crime rates fluctuates with the times as do cities themselves. My point is that people will move to areas that can meet their wants and needs. The big cities will always prove to be the choice for the vast majority of the people evident by the great move to urban environments in the last century from rural areas.

You just pointed out the US and Canada is growing at a faster rate than Australia. While Canada will reduce it's intake it will still grow faster than Australia. Also there is no comparison to the Millions of refugees from third world countries and economic migrants in Europe to migration in Australia. Also don't forget that Australia is going to reduce its migration intake starting from this year

Old 02-04-2024, 03:11 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
It's not wrong. Australia's population has been growing between 1-2% for decades.
https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/50-y...ent-population

Where on earth was there a claim that 27 million wouldn't hit until 2054? That must have been written last century.

As for Australia's immigration being so high last year. Have you forgotten about the Two prior years where Australia's population growth was very little due to a shut border? Immigration numbers this and next year will go back to normal and Australia's population will grow along the 1-1.3% mark.
I belivie it was a 2002 report done by the howard government been referred to,. It predicted Australia would hit 25.3 in 2042.

Old 02-04-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
While I agree with you about the urban sprawl of Perth this isn't unusual at all for Australian cities and something many American cities also share. Australia is in my ways a smaller version of the US that mirrors it's growth and cultural diversity in a similar way. Both countries are one of the few that jumped on the high rise boom in the 20th century.

Also I don't associate population growth with a decline of living standards especially when it has benefitted Australia for almost it's entire history. Locking our borders and sparodic busniess lock-downs for two years helped create an inflationary crisis we now face and a lack of housing. Of course there were issues before that but through our actions in the last few years we are faced with clawing our way back which will take many more years. The reason for the decline of living standards is much more complex. Policies that were introduced many years ago that have created a housing market that Is seen as an investment to attain wealth rather than somewhere to provide stability and shelter for one's family.

As for Bunbury. I live in south Perth and Bunbury is still a good 1 hour 30 mins drive from me. I don't see Bunbury being swallowed up by Perth especially as local governments are now going to focus on inner city density in order to stop the urban sprawl. I can see Perth filling out inland before it stretches any longer. I personally know of people who have moved to the South West, to the likes of Bunbury to avoid the business of what is now Perth. Yea there might be issues in small cities like Bunbury and NewCastle but what area doesn't. You only notice these issues as you get older because your values and goals in life change. Sydney had a horrible drug problem in the 80's however this in no way stopped it's population growth and those who made it their own Paradise on earth. It didn't stop the young people who moved there making the best memories of their lives despite the problems.

Crime rates fluctuates with the times as do cities themselves. My point is that people will move to areas that can meet their wants and needs. The big cities will always prove to be the choice for the vast majority of the people evident by the great move to urban environments in the last century from rural areas.

You just pointed out the US and Canada is growing at a faster rate than Australia. While Canada will reduce it's intake it will still grow faster than Australia. Also there is no comparison to the Millions of refugees from third world countries and economic migrants in Europe to migration in Australia. Also don't forget that Australia is going to reduce its migration intake starting from this year
Not unusual, but Perth leads the way thus making it among the most auto centric in the world. Infill may in part address some of those issues, but doubt if the fundamentals will change.
too much.

Immigration benefited Australia when labour was required. It was after the War, political as well, aimed at maintaining a preferable British heritage, but European was acceptable when not enough Brit's could be enticed. Did the population growth rate ever exceed 1% in any given year ? Those days are long passed and targeted immigration is what is required. But even then it hardly makes since having so many PHD's working at menial tasks. We need to get our people back to working in legit employment.

Australia lacks the cultural diversity of The States, most migrants come from a few favoured countries, which has diversified from being overly UK focused , especially WA , which until recent times was hardly diverse.

For example Sub Continent migrants were all but invisible in Perth until about 2007. While Chinese ethnicity has grown massively in past six months after the Premier (former) McGowan returned from a visit to China.

Not sure just how Perth became the centre for Bhutan migrants in recent times. That's an odd one.

I wonder just what you do associate falling living standards with then? Turbo immigration reduces supply , but obviously it is far more complicated than that.

Deliberate changes to government policy in the late nineties made housing more attractive. Prices rose accordingly early this century and with it the economic burden of getting on the housing ladder, as well as the concept of housing changing to become a commodity, like on a Monopoly board.

Not forgetting foreign buyers, where no checks are done on how money was obtained, making it an ideal investment for foreigners to laundry ill gotten wealth. I believe Australia is favoured country for Chinese money.

But besides housing, (not to mention the poorly builds (apartments) what about the decline in the medical system, aged care, social care, and so on until it becomes much the norm and expectations are lowered in society?

Obviously one would have had to live in Australia a certain duration, in order to witness the decline , which is still not to the level od UK or Ireland by most accounts but not to dissimilar to falling Canadian standards.

Europe is a diverse place. While Germany and Sweden have been impacted by insane growth in refugees, others like Hungary and Poland, to name a few have barely any.

Those countries that have been impacted with too many incomers and falling living standards, have witnessed the political growth of extremist politics. Note France, Italy Germany, Netherlands etc.

AS for Bunbury, no one is saying it will become part of the metropolitan area over night. What is referred to is longer term. Mandurah could be described as pretty much part of the metro, in all but name, especially with the rail network expanding to there.

I recall as a child when Rockingham was regarded much as Mandurah is today. If anything perhaps more dethatched?

I know people that have moved to both Albany and Bunbury. Both places share similar social issues, and neither are cheap, with cheaper suburbs cheap for a reason. Crime, drugs and anti social behaviour.

Not sure why you mention Sydney drug problem. It was big in the eighties. But with Australians being the biggest recreational drug users in the world , with way over 10 Billion $ spent on drugs a year, probably more of a concern in Perth and WA. where one may perhaps less expect the reality that is, but where meth reigns supreme. (

Never seizes to amaze me just how the meth epidemic in WA has grabbed a hold of places like Albany. But a subject over discussed and does nothing to discuss it more. Only additional thing being the price of meth has declined with over supply, no doubt, I'm told, which I can't decide if a good or bad thing. Will it turn the hand of those involved to make or import things like fentanyl for example? Or just crank up neighbourhood production/import to produce greater volume to make up for shortfall or indeed accept a loss in return?

As for crime it varies. A lot depends on how it is collated. But people will increasing make decisions based on what they feel economically comfortable with. Thing being feasible country locations are no longer cheap. Even suburbs like Gosnells' in Perth now is experiencing the highest, or close to growth rates in the metropolitan area. That area was always considered dodgy at best and not very desirable.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:33 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times
Quote:
Not unusual, but Perth leads the way thus making it among the most auto centric in the world. Infill may in part address some of those issues, but doubt if the fundamentals will change.
too much.

Immigration benefited Australia when labour was required. It was after the War, political as well, aimed at maintaining a preferable British heritage, but European was acceptable when not enough Brit's could be enticed. Did the population growth rate ever exceed 1% in any given year ? Those days are long passed and targeted immigration is what is required. But even then it hardly makes since having so many PHD's working at menial tasks. We need to get our people back to working in legit employment.

Australia lacks the cultural diversity of The States, most migrants come from a few favoured countries, which has diversified from being overly UK focused , especially WA , which until recent times was hardly diverse.

For example Sub Continent migrants were all but invisible in Perth until about 2007. While Chinese ethnicity has grown massively in past six months after the Premier (former) McGowan returned from a visit to China.

Not sure just how Perth became the centre for Bhutan migrants in recent times. That's an odd one.

I wonder just what you do associate falling living standards with then? Turbo immigration reduces supply , but obviously it is far more complicated than that.

Deliberate changes to government policy in the late nineties made housing more attractive. Prices rose accordingly early this century and with it the economic burden of getting on the housing ladder, as well as the concept of housing changing to become a commodity, like on a Monopoly board.

Not forgetting foreign buyers, where no checks are done on how money was obtained, making it an ideal investment for foreigners to laundry ill gotten wealth. I believe Australia is favoured country for Chinese money.

But besides housing, (not to mention the poorly builds (apartments) what about the decline in the medical system, aged care, social care, and so on until it becomes much the norm and expectations are lowered in society?

Obviously one would have had to live in Australia a certain duration, in order to witness the decline , which is still not to the level od UK or Ireland by most accounts but not to dissimilar to falling Canadian standards.

Europe is a diverse place. While Germany and Sweden have been impacted by insane growth in refugees, others like Hungary and Poland, to name a few have barely any.

Those countries that have been impacted with too many incomers and falling living standards, have witnessed the political growth of extremist politics. Note France, Italy Germany, Netherlands etc.

AS for Bunbury, no one is saying it will become part of the metropolitan area over night. What is referred to is longer term. Mandurah could be described as pretty much part of the metro, in all but name, especially with the rail network expanding to there.

I recall as a child when Rockingham was regarded much as Mandurah is today. If anything perhaps more dethatched?

I know people that have moved to both Albany and Bunbury. Both places share similar social issues, and neither are cheap, with cheaper suburbs cheap for a reason. Crime, drugs and anti social behaviour.

Not sure why you mention Sydney drug problem. It was big in the eighties. But with Australians being the biggest recreational drug users in the world , with way over 10 Billion $ spent on drugs a year, probably more of a concern in Perth and WA. where one may perhaps less expect the reality that is, but where meth reigns supreme. (

Never seizes to amaze me just how the meth epidemic in WA has grabbed a hold of places like Albany. But a subject over discussed and does nothing to discuss it more. Only additional thing being the price of meth has declined with over supply, no doubt, I'm told, which I can't decide if a good or bad thing. Will it turn the hand of those involved to make or import things like fentanyl for example? Or just crank up neighbourhood production/import to produce greater volume to make up for shortfall or indeed accept a loss in return?

As for crime it varies. A lot depends on how it is collated. But people will increasing make decisions based on what they feel economically comfortable with. Thing being feasible country locations are no longer cheap. Even suburbs like Gosnells' in Perth now is experiencing the highest, or close to growth rates in the metropolitan area. That area was always considered dodgy at best and not very desirable.
I put up a link showing population has been growing on average 1-2% since 1970. Have a look

What you must understand is that 1% growth of what Australia's populations was 50 years ago is very different than 1% growth of what Australia's population is today at 27 million. As for Australia lacks the cultural diversity of the states. While I may have agreed with you a few years ago the vast majority of New migrants to Australia are from India and Asia.

​The top 10 countries providing the most permanent migrants to Australia in order of rank for 2021–22 are:

India​
People’s Republic of China​
​United Kingdom
Philippines
Nepal
Vietnam
New Zealand
Hong Kong (SAR of the PRC)
Pakistan
South Africa

The demographics is quickly reflecting this and Australia is changing rapidly. UK migrants make up over 3% of the population. Indians and Asian migrants today make up over 20% of Australia's population. This is some serious diversity in the last ten years alone. Have a look at this link
https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/pe...latest-release

As for what I associate falling living standards with. Prior to Covid Australia had a number of issues bubbling up. If left resolved would have made living conditions worse however the main culprit behind Australia's falling living standards in the last three years alone is border closures along with Sparodic national and Global lock-downs that completely disrupted the global market creating the crisis we have today. Our over reaction to Covid. It's that simple. The fear mongers thought we were all going to die and the lazy were happy to sit at home getting paid. Well we are now paying for all of this. Australia is completely reliant on migrants never made more evident by the border closures a few years ago. Remember the boom in essentially EVERY industry especially building yet a lack of access to an international labor pool completely pulled down the economy and the building industry at a time when it should be working hardest to provide supply. If Australia actually give exemptions to tradies, builders, nurses etc on a significant scale it could have imported the labor it needed of course there were still material shortages but this was nothing compared to the labor shortage.

Australia thought that just by opening the gates after Covid and bringing in more migrants it would somehow bring back a balance to the labor market yet it created more imbalance because we still have a labor shortage in the industries we need it most and over supply in students and less skilled areas. This has meant construction is now at such a rate that Australia has to become more Clinical who it let's into the country yet. I thought this would mean more tradies, builders, engineers etc would get first priority. No in fact only those earning over $120,000 per year regardless of their industry get first priority. What a joke. The government doesn't care mate. Australia had a good thing going for so long and it's standard of living had increased significantly since 1988 with it peaking in 2013. Young people today don't even know what a recession is. Will Australia get back on track. Who knows. I'm curious to see if the backlog of housing that is coming through will help with the housing crisis. If it doesn't then Australia will suffer much worse this year and beyond.

I'm still suspicious as to why governments are not reacting to the housing crisis in a similar fashion they reacted to covid. When almost 50% of people's income is going on a mortgage or rent then living standards are going to be smashed

Old 02-04-2024, 07:21 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
too much.

For the issue discussed, Mandurah has been included in the Perth Metro Area population by the ABS for statistical purposes since 2011, it goes as far south as the the Yalgorup National Park.

This is the current area.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...boundaries.png

The ABS altered all the Metro Areas signifiantly for 2011 cenusus, the Land area of Brisbane was doubled, however that really just bought a a whole heap of small towns and farm land to the cities west as part of the Metro Area, rather than any population growth areas on the coast.

https://blog.id.com.au/2011/populati...-they-greater/

Though it looks like Mandurah is not in the WA;s Metropolotian Regional Scheme as yet, which is far more relevant at a local level.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-04-2024 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-05-2024, 12:20 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,343,410 times
Quote:
I put up a link showing population has been growing on average 1-2% since 1970. Have a look

What you must understand is that 1% growth of what Australia's populations was 50 years ago is very different than 1% growth of what Australia's population is today at 27 million. As for Australia lacks the cultural diversity of the states. While I may have agreed with you a few years ago the vast majority of New migrants to Australia are from India and Asia.

​The top 10 countries providing the most permanent migrants to Australia in order of rank for 2021–22 are:

India​
​United Kingdom
Philippines
Nepal
Vietnam
New Zealand
Pakistan
South Africa

The demographics is quickly reflecting this and Australia is changing rapidly. UK migrants make up over 3% of the population. Indians and Asian migrants today make up over 20% of Australia's population. This is some serious diversity in the last ten years alone. Have a look at this link
"Permanent" is a bit of a misnomer though. In essence, it just represents arrivals who are not here on a designated "temporary" visa (visitors, students, working holiday, short term temporary skill shortage visas) regardless of whether they intend to remain in Aus long term or not.

There would be a lot of folk here on "temporary" student and subsequent graduate visas who stay longer than a lot of (perhaps most) "permanent" arrivals.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:57 AM

Quote:

India​
​United Kingdom
Philippines
Nepal
Vietnam
New Zealand
Pakistan
South Africa

As for what I associate falling living standards with. Prior to Covid Australia had a number of issues bubbling up. If left resolved would have made living conditions worse however the main culprit behind Australia's falling living standards in the last three years alone is border closures along with Sparodic national and Global lock-downs that completely disrupted the global market creating the crisis we have today. Our over reaction to Covid. It's that simple. The fear mongers thought we were all going to die and the lazy were happy to sit at home getting paid. Well we are now paying for all of this. Australia is completely reliant on migrants never made more evident by the border closures a few years ago. Remember the boom in essentially EVERY industry especially building yet a lack of access to an international labor pool completely pulled down the economy and the building industry at a time when it should be working hardest to provide supply. If Australia actually give exemptions to tradies, builders, nurses etc on a significant scale it could have imported the labor it needed of course there were still material shortages but this was nothing compared to the labor shortage.

Australia thought that just by opening the gates after Covid and bringing in more migrants it would somehow bring back a balance to the labor market yet it created more imbalance because we still have a labor shortage in the industries we need it most and over supply in students and less skilled areas. This has meant construction is now at such a rate that Australia has to become more Clinical who it let's into the country yet. I thought this would mean more tradies, builders, engineers etc would get first priority. No in fact only those earning over $120,000 per year regardless of their industry get first priority. What a joke. The government doesn't care mate. Australia had a good thing going for so long and it's standard of living had increased significantly since 1988 with it peaking in 2013. Young people today don't even know what a recession is. Will Australia get back on track. Who knows. I'm curious to see if the backlog of housing that is coming through will help with the housing crisis. If it doesn't then Australia will suffer much worse this year and beyond.

I'm still suspicious as to why governments are not reacting to the housing crisis in a similar fashion they reacted to covid. When almost 50% of people's income is going on a mortgage or rent then living standards are going to be smashed
I am aware of country of birth statistics as have followed it for many years. Australian falling living standards have been in place long before Covid. Growing inequality has become a feature since at least early this century.

I agree 'easy' money has indeed impacted on the economy but not so much through those sitting home on Centre Link payments, as might have been the case a generation ago.

Yes the lock down made it easy to 'reset' the politics and the economy. Purely by bringing in migrants will of course maintain a high GDP. Thus the economy looks to be better than may otherwise be the case.

The 'black' economy is enormous. This obviously removes many billions from taxation while enriching those numerous people doing rather well.

The government appears to be floundering at best. Young people today are in a far worse situation than a generation ago with housing many more times more than annual pay rates. But still many, have found ways around that and are earning rather well.

I don't see housing coming anywhere close to meeting demand, at least until turbo immigration is brought to heel.

I'd be somewhat suspicious of the entire housing industry set up and not least the real estate shenanigans, but obviously will not state concerns on an open forum. But a whole list can be added that could be questioned if conducting themselves ethically, with transparency, or simply guided by self interest, greed and a few other things?.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
"Permanent" is a bit of a misnomer though. In essence, it just represents arrivals who are not here on a designated "temporary" visa (visitors, students, working holiday, short term temporary skill shortage visas) regardless of whether they intend to remain in Aus long term or not.

There would be a lot of folk here on "temporary" student and subsequent graduate visas who stay longer than a lot of (perhaps most) "permanent" arrivals.
Indeed. If including the entire yearly intake including those supposedly on short term stays (I think many have arrived at the conclusion that universities are simply visa factories, anyway) the numbers would be frightening. Already it is far too many, with from my observation rather apt to enter 'certain activities' not necessarily conducive to the well being of the population, even if rewarding on a personal level.

Back packers can be interesting to talk to. Being here only a short time, I've found them rather 'open' on a range of 'things' they have 'experienced' to which no doubt they will confer with others when they get home.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
For the issue discussed, Mandurah has been included in the Perth Metro Area population by the ABS for statistical purposes since 2011, it goes as far south as the the Yalgorup National Park.

This is the current area.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...boundaries.png

The ABS altered all the Metro Areas signifiantly for 2011 cenusus, the Land area of Brisbane was doubled, however that really just bought a a whole heap of small towns and farm land to the cities west as part of the Metro Area, rather than any population growth areas on the coast.

https://blog.id.com.au/2011/populati...-they-greater/

Though it looks like Mandurah is not in the WA;s Metropolotian Regional Scheme as yet, which is far more relevant at a local level.
Yes. One could form a fair probability from that that Mandurah, longer term will be fully part of the metro area , if not quite already. Perth tends to expand along its coast. I suspect fear of fire among other aspects may inhibit the same growth eastwards into the bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand