Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 11:51 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Good grief, had enough of “renters” when my adult kids were boomeranging around.

I wonder what the uptake will be? Obviously a good idea if one is short of money or lonely, neither of which applies to us.
I don't see very many taking up the offer in Perth at least. Far more money to be made doing 'less intrusive' things to which the retired have adapted to rather readily.

In the past taking in international students was widely popular. Don't know a single person doing that these days.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:13 AM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I don't see very many taking up the offer in Perth at least. Far more money to be made doing 'less intrusive' things to which the retired have adapted to rather readily.

In the past taking in international students was widely popular. Don't know a single person doing that these days.
Very common in the Darwin market recently... my newly married son and wife bought a house a few months ago and have rented out 2 rooms at $200 a week each to international students.
So thats $1600 a month cashie off the mortgage.... it aint rocket science....
International Asian students usually have a wealthy background, they dont bring home stray one nighters, don't sit out the back punchin' cones, playin' on the 'see thru didgerdoo' ( ice pipe ) or getting on the grog.... Fully focused on study and gettin' ahead in life.... perfect tenants actually.
Now the older demographic like me could do the same thing.... tempted, but don't 'need to' financially, but the thought has crossed my mind....

Old 07-29-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Very common in the Darwin market recently... my newly married son and wife bought a house a few months ago and have rented out 2 rooms at $200 a week each to international students.
So thats $1600 a month cashie off the mortgage.... it aint rocket science....
International Asian students usually have a wealthy background, they dont bring home stray one nighters, don't sit out the back punchin' cones, playin' on the 'see thru didgerdoo' ( ice pipe ) or getting on the grog.... Fully focused on study and gettin' ahead in life.... perfect tenants actually.
Now the older demographic like me could do the same thing.... tempted, but don't 'need to' financially, but the thought has crossed my mind....
We used to do it along with numerous in the area , in our case stopped ten years ago. Being an Inner City location, it was considered a desirable area for overseas students.

We had a few less than desirable experiences with a few. For example when away for a few days , the Japanese students manage to put a large burn mark in the carpet and attempt to cover it up. Only discovered it days later but didn't say anything as knew the loss of face would prove to much.

These days 'other means' of income stream far more in vogue. This has undoubtably made rentals, share houses and the like far more difficult to obtain.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:51 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
With the Labor government's response to the housing crisis by building 1.2 million homes over the next 5 years and in which they will soon operate a government guarantor scheme for first time buyers it is clear they are not only completely clueless on the extreme labor shortages affecting Australia but also in no way want to hurt the ever upward trajectory of the Australian property market.

Who wants to build today in Australia with a record numbers of builders collapsing due to not being able to sustain the long build times due to the labor shortage? Of course they aim to entice such workers through immigration but how? They haven't mentioned how they are going to do this. Just open up the doors and hope i suppose, it worked in the past so it will work now lol.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:27 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjEorSHRqVM

Old 08-26-2023, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
With the Labor government's response to the housing crisis by building 1.2 million homes over the next 5 years and in which they will soon operate a government guarantor scheme for first time buyers it is clear they are not only completely clueless on the extreme labor shortages affecting Australia but also in no way want to hurt the ever upward trajectory of the Australian property market.

Who wants to build today in Australia with a record numbers of builders collapsing due to not being able to sustain the long build times due to the labor shortage? Of course they aim to entice such workers through immigration but how? They haven't mentioned how they are going to do this. Just open up the doors and hope i suppose, it worked in the past so it will work now lol.
Any more First Home Buyer Schemes will do as those preceding this one. Simply lift prices. A look into the real estate industry and 'their practices' may shed some light, in certain areas at any rate, just why many are missing out.

Old 08-27-2023, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Any more First Home Buyer Schemes will do as those preceding this one. Simply lift prices. A look into the real estate industry and 'their practices' may shed some light, in certain areas at any rate, just why many are missing out.
To be honest mate I feel this is the greatest crisis to affect Australia in many years. Worse than covid because it has the potential to cause catastrophic damage to the economy in a way no Australian has ever seen. Frustrating would be an understatement to how I feel because it means going over the cliff is inevitable. Why isn't there more uproar about this from Australians, especially young Australians?

The entire social security system of Australia was created under the assumption that most families will be mortgage free by the time they retire. Labor are just as corrupt as the liberals regarding housing

Old 08-27-2023, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=Can find accord with regards to this being the greatest crisis, probably not on all the reasons though which far extends beyond housing.
We have the potential, if allowed to continue unchecked, to follow the course of a nation like Argentina. (excluding obvious cultural difference) Not a pretty sight and who knows Ireland in a few years may appear of beacon of stability in comparison.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:37 AM

[quote=the troubadour;65753041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can find accord with regards to this being the greatest crisis, probably not on all the reasons though which far extends beyond housing.
We have the potential, if allowed to continue unchecked, to follow the course of a nation like Argentina. (excluding obvious cultural difference) [B
Not a pretty sight and who knows Ireland in a few years may appear of beacon of stability in comparison[/b].
Lol Ireland has had a more stable housing market than Australia for a few years now. They aren't even comparable. The median house price in Australia is currently over $730,000. Two of the top 10 most unaffordable cities in the world are in Australia so it's not a case of this being a future event. Even the UK has a more stable market than Australia. Australia used to at least have a few cities with that was fairly stable and well priced for a few years such as Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide however prices in most of those cities have skyrocketed. Especially Brisbane. Perth is the only really affordable market left but that Is also starting to change quite quickly. Where will young people be able to buy?

I'd love to know how Labor plan on building such an enormous number of housing. How well planned is it? Who are these silly cowboy builders whispering in the ear of the government that it's even possible with the labor shortage? One only has to go on the building in Perth Facebook groups to read about the hundreds of people who are still waiting for their houses to be built 2-3 years later. We no doubt need a HUGE number of construction workers to be brought in but the government hasn't laid out how it aims to do this

Old 08-29-2023, 01:27 AM

[quote=Paddy234;65754379]
Quote:

Lol Ireland has had a more stable housing market than Australia for a few years now. They aren't even comparable. The median house price in Australia is currently over $730,000. Two of the top 10 most unaffordable cities in the world are in Australia so it's not a case of this being a future event. Even the UK has a more stable market than Australia. Australia used to at least have a few cities with that was fairly stable and well priced for a few years such as Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide however prices in most of those cities have skyrocketed. Especially Brisbane. Perth is the only really affordable market left but that Is also starting to change quite quickly. Where will young people be able to buy?

I'd love to know how Labor plan on building such an enormous number of housing. How well planned is it? Who are these silly cowboy builders whispering in the ear of the government that it's even possible with the labor shortage? One only has to go on the building in Perth Facebook groups to read about the hundreds of people who are still waiting for their houses to be built 2-3 years later. We no doubt need a HUGE number of construction workers to be brought in but the government hasn't laid out how it aims to do this
Well it is a future event, as interest rate rises are only beginning to bite. More foreign money than ever, especially Chinese, is pouring in as NZ and Canada have stopped the rot in those countries.

I believe Irish housing has not learned a lot from previous down turn , with rising prices there. I have not researched in over recent months , more UK market , but that remains my understanding.

I do witness Chinese snapping up a lot of the properties here in Central Perth. Also they procure rentals ahead of others. I have witnessed this around me. I'll say no more.

Yes. I doubt Labor have a plan. Just a number drawn from a hat. I do hope one day, that this WA Labor Government is called to account for the destruction they have bought to this state. The real estate should be called to account as well. Labor's refusal to tackle the crisis impacting Perth (although hardly only WA) is something I never thought I'd witness in my lifetime, unless of course decided to live in Colombia .

We do not need a huge number of construction workers bought into this state. We need to get the ones already here back to work . There will be a need for some, but as mentioned it must be assured they actually work and not get involved in 'easier' endeavors to make money. A pretty hard ask as things stand ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand