Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,248,156 times

Advertisements

My husband got a moving violation ticket the other night that was fairly bogus (especially since the car in front of us got the same ticket and while we were getting ours... someone came up behind us and ALSO got pulled over!! Thanks, Austin, for closing off streets for no apparent reason and having no signage of where one should go instead).

ANYway, we're moving out of state in 2 1/2 weeks. I doubt we'll ever be in Texas again. Can the ticket follow us to Massachusetts if we don't pay it? We won't be here on the court date (to contest it) that's listed AND (is this normal for Austin?) there's no price listed ANYwhere on the ticket or the paperwork the officer gave us. We have no idea of what we should pay ANYway, and we don't really feel like dealing with calling to find out what it is, being really busy with the move 'n all.

8 years ago, I got a speeding ticket in Texas, while driving through on my way to California. I never paid it and nothing ever happened. I don't know if things are different between Mass & Texas.

Also, as a side note, the only times my husband and/or I have EVER gotten a ticket have been in Texas. Mine 8 years ago and his Saturday night. What's up with that? Is Texas "ticket happy?"

Last edited by readymade; 10-11-2009 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,100,977 times
I'd pay it, or take a ticket dismissal course. Not paying it could result in a warrant and your hubby will forever have to wonder if when he gets pulled over he might get arrested. Plus, it can negatively affect your insurance rates.

Steve

Old 10-11-2009, 06:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,534,896 times
Well, I don't know if Texas is "ticket happy" - I do know that the exceedingly few times that I've gotten a ticket in Texas, it's been because I earned it. Most often, if I've been stopped (and that hasn't been often), I've received a warning, but I tend to be very friendly and cooperative with police officers (except when I was a teenager and would promptly burst into tears), so maybe that has something to do with it.

Likely nothing will happen if you ignore the ticket - as you pointed out, you ignored one years ago and nothing did. But I don't know if Massachusetts would go so far as to check these days. It will be on your record pretty much forever, though.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, I don't know if Texas is "ticket happy" - I do know that the exceedingly few times that I've gotten a ticket in Texas, it's been because I earned it. Most often, if I've been stopped (and that hasn't been often), I've received a warning, but I tend to be very friendly and cooperative with police officers (except when I was a teenager and would promptly burst into tears), so maybe that has something to do with it.

Likely nothing will happen if you ignore the ticket - as you pointed out, you ignored one years ago and nothing did. But I don't know if Massachusetts would go so far as to check these days. It will be on your record pretty much forever, though.
But... it'll be on his TEXAS record, correct? Does each state have their own record? And can he be arrested in Mass for a ticket that was unpaid in Texas?

I have an email in to my cousin, who's an officer in Mass... so maybe he'll know. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with Texas-to-Mass unpaid tickets. I've read a lot of conflicting things online.

Quite honestly, I think it was a "trap" of some kind. The whole thing was very very weird. We were obviously confused by the weird closing of a major street (Manor, east of 35) with no warning signs and, really, no where to go once you got to this blocked-off area. The car in front of us took a left, so we did too. We didn't see a "one way" sign (they obviously didn't either. And neither did the 3rd car that later came up behind us), but it was very dark. And, again, we weren't the only ones confused. And we were very very polite. The officer (who was sitting there in the dark on a motorcycle) gave everyone tickets.

Mine, 8 years ago, was as soon as I got into Texas, the speed limit changed, and I was going about 8 miles over the new posted limit (according to the officer) as I was slowing down to adjust to the new speed limit. The SECOND that happened, I got pulled over by a cop who did a U-Turn in the middle of the highway in order to pull me over. Not to sound paranoid, but it seemed like a speed trap to me.

That's why I wondered if if Texas officers were "ticket happy." Both seemed very curious and "tricky" ways to give someone a ticket.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:40 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,754,413 times
Well, my husband got a parking ticket in Denver and so far nothings come of it. It's been over 5 yrs. now but yesterday he got a call from a "collection agency" about it, but he said he didn't know what they were talking about. If we avoid Colorado in the car in question we'd probably be fine visiting, but if we took said car and happened to get pulled over, it could be a problem. I doubt anything will show up for Mass. from Texas, but I'm just going off of our experience from Colorado to Texas.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 PM

22 posts, read 147,529 times
With "Big Brother" government agencies continually prying, spying and video taping every aspect of your daily life I WOULD anticipate that your ticket will rear it's ugly head at some point in distant future unless you contact the authorities and take care of it now. Computers can keep records of anyone for anything for an infinite amount of time.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM

15,300 posts, read 35,773,447 times
Well, with the gradual expansion of interconnected data systems, I would worry a bit. Some time in the future he may need to go through a background check and a warrant for arrest may or may not be an issue to whoever is requesting the check.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,357,813 times
I would spray cheap perfume all over the check and pay the damn thing. Better not to have to worry about it. Consider it a parting gift.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 PM

We're not paying it unless we absolutely have to. It wasn't a "fair" ticket to give, and I think we would win in court. But, of course, we won't BE here to fight it.

If I honestly felt like we'd done something wrong... or that we weren't somehow being scammed... I would have no problem paying it. I feel really uneasy about how the whole thing happened.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,629,630 times
No pay, get a warrant our for his arrest.

Don't get pulled over w/ a warrant, it sure is pricey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: