Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times

Advertisements

Visit both and decide. I used to hate Houston (lived there for 2 years, and my husband is from there), but it has come a long way in 20 years.

Austin is generally prettier, but it is also a lot smaller. That could be good or bad depending on your preferences. Even though I've lived here for decades, I still feel like Austin doesn't have a lot to do. Houston being a much bigger city has a lot more to offer as far as the arts, museums, even parks. And it's near the beach (which I love). But if you are going to a smaller town feel, you may prefer Austin.

It's really a matter of personal preference. You could get more for your money, generally speaking, in Houston. I have family in the Woodlands (suburb of Houston) and it's actually really pretty - big trees, lots of amenities, and a good "town" feel. You don't really need to leave for anything, but the city is close by for those times when you want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM

668 posts, read 783,666 times
I am a Lake Travis ISD graduate and I went to college in Houston. I think both Austin and Houston have good points. Houston has more overall diversity (fantastic shopping and delicious food from cultures all over the world) and as others have noted, the housing market isn't as crazy there. Your budget will probably buy you a nicer house in Houston than it will in Austin. The humidity in Houston isn't really any worse than it is in Austin, and the allergens are probably less there than in Austin. (Cedar. Enough said.)

I was first in my class at Lake Travis, valedictorian, and was in what passed for their "gifted" program for the entirety of my education there. (One caveat--the district is MUCH bigger now than when I went to school there. However, I think there are a number of things that haven't changed.) I went to Rice with kids from the good "big" high schools in Austin (Austin, Westwood, Anderson High) and the good private schools here (St Stephen's, St Michael's) and I honestly do not think my education compared to theirs--they were better prepared. I really struggled, and I had a 4.0 GPA at Lake Travis from the day I entered ninth grade to my last day there. The salutatorian in my class at LT wanted to be a doctor--she went to A&M on full scholarship and failed out of pre-med because she wasn't adequately prepared for the math and science classes.

What was far worse for me personally at Lake Travis (and I know this hasn't changed substantively, as I have friends who remained out there whose children go there, and the area has only gotten wealthier than when I attended school) was the enormous amount of money, privilege, as well as racism and homophobia among my classmates. LT was an enclave of wealthy, largely very conservative people and their children reflected these values. If you share these values, it may be a great place for your kids--it wasn't for me. Even though our football team were perennial losers at the time (I know they've won state championships now) the emphasis on sports and the glorification of football was very Friday Night Lights-esque. This probably appeals to a lot of people in Central Texas.

Lake Travis was extremely racially polarized socially (when I went there, I could literally count on one hand the number of Asians and African-Americans in the high school--Hispanic kids tended to blend a little better with the herd), and the super rich kids from Lakeway and elsewhere were not, shall we say, the nicest young people to go to school with. Your parents' financial status became very important beginning in middle school (as it does everywhere) but I remember an unnaturally keen awareness of whose parents had money. One of my classmates had a new Porsche as a first car in high school; others were given brand-new pickup trucks. Many of them displayed a real sense of disrespect and entitlement towards our teachers.

I had such an unpleasant experience there in this regard that I personally would never send my children there. I realize my own personal experience is simply that--personal--but LTISD is an even larger district now with even more high end subdivisions--make of this what you will.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:55 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Funny - we looked at Houston about a year ago when a job possibility came up there. With the price range you are looking at you can live like royalty in or around Houston. This month we have just taken a position in Austin and are moving from the upper midwest to Austin next month. I think I prefer Austin based on personal preferences.

The bottom line really does come down to personal preferences. School districts can make themselves look good on paper and get scores on Great Schools to show they are wonderful, but what is the atmosphere of the community? If you have a gifted child and you take them to a school district with emphasis on athletics and test preparation, your gifted child may falter out of pure boredom. On the other hand, an average student may go to an average rated school and flourish because the atmosphere is more relaxed and the pressures not so high to achieve specific test scores.

It is probably most beneficial to take time to travel to both cities and look at areas that you would consider living. Contact a real estate agent in each location and request them to show you areas that match a set of criteria you give them. Their expertise in the local area will be invaluable compared to the opinions of individuals on a public forum, and seeing the homes, neighborhoods, etc will make a difference. Walking malls and watching teens/parents attitudes as well as driving through high school parking lots and up and down subdivision streets has helped me learn a lot about areas when looking.

Having done extensive home searches in Austin and made an accepted offer within the last week I can tell you there are plenty of great neighborhoods available around Austin and the burbs within your price range.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,574 times
I prefer Austin for very personal reasons so I haven't got much to add to the discussion. But in case it didn't come up for you yet, look at the cost of property tax and consider that when you make your purchase

As for Houston, I am a fan of the museum district. Free admission once a week to an art museum with a really lovely collection is a huge plus. I'm not familiar with school districts in either city from a personal standpoint. But I get the impression that Houston would have much better schools. A friend of mine who lives there (near Belaire I think?) says a lot of her neighbors moved into that part of town just so their kids can attend a certain high school because it prepares the kids for university. Hope that helps in some way

Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
If you live in and generally stay in the outer suburbs in either place, they are extremely similar. As in little difference. Only major difference being that Houston will have more to choose from.

It's mainly the central areas that are different -- Houston has the amenities you'd expect from a major city such as large and major performing arts, lots of museums, pro sports, luxury shopping, international vibe, lots of Fortune 500 companies. While central Austin is smaller and more focused on condos, parks/outdoors, smaller venues, and more homogeneous.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:12 PM

88 posts, read 106,320 times
I've lived in both and both have pros and cons-but I prefer Austin. We are in Dripping springs ISD but I think lake Travis is good too. Good schools, good kids for the most part.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
450 you could live very well in either city if youre in the suburbs. Close in areas of houston all start with a one - than six other figures. Good luck getting a none condo inside the loop not in a construction site for less. Home buying is crazy in both cities. Check out houston city data. New comers having a hard time finding available homes to buy. Check both pages if still considering. Har.com is the houston real estate listing page

Old 08-06-2014, 09:43 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpruitt2005 View Post
Hi All,

My husband is up for a promotion which would bring us to Texas. Right now it is up to us to decide if we would like to live in Austin or Houston (he'll be working from home). My head is spinning!!! There is so much we have to decide and I want to make the best decision for our family.

My biggest concern is the school they will be attending, like everyone I only want the best for my kids. They are in 2nd and 3rd grade, so we will need to look at both elementary and middle schools. I have done a few searches on great schools but get such mixed feelings after reading parent reviews. I'm leaning toward lake travis ids. My son has tested for AG (academically gifted) and will be taking AG classes in North Carolina this year.

My next concern which ties directly to school choice is our home purchase. Are there any nice neighborhoods with amenities like pool, playground, and maybe some basketball courts? our max budget is 450.

Thanks so much!!!!!
read the sticky about what kinds of info you need to give to help us out.

What things you like to do, where you would be working in austin etc.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpruitt2005 View Post
I was leaning toward lake travis after reviewing the test scores on Great Schools. But I'm totally open to suggestions especially since I will have to do much of my research from my laptop. I hope to plan a visit with my husband in a few weeks. I just feel so rushed since the kids are school age and will need to be enrolled soon. I thought about renting for a year but I don't want them to switch schools too many times.

I would like to be close to doctors (peds, dentist, eye doctor), grocery stores. I would love a neighborhood with elementary aged kids, right now our neighborhood is mostly made up of retirees and young families with infants.... I guess i better get a "want" list put together. We just found out about this move, as of last friday we were staying in NC.

I would consider spending a little more but i like to be conservative. Especially since the property taxes are so much more than NC....
Every neighborhood is going to be close to shopping, fitness centers, drs etc. It is more important to know where your husband will be working and your acceptable commute.

How many square feet do you want? How old of a house is ok?

eanes is probably out, but the portion of round rock that feeds into canyon vista/westwood would be ok as would be steiner/lake travis that feed into vandegrift or lake travis high.

northwest hills that feeds into doss or hill/ murchison /anderson might be just out of your price range.

Those would be the main areas you could be looking at. Highly influenced by where your husband would be working.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:55 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,230 times
Both cities are fantastic places but each has their own strengths. Houston is far more diverse, better food, cheaper housing, way greener, but also is not very attractive and sprawls to the end of the earth. Austin is whiter (some may prefer this unfortunately), has pretty hills, is more outdoorsy, and is just a great place to live in general, but the tradeoff is that it's easily the most expensive city in the state and is not diverse at ALL.

Also Lake Travis is just depressing to see. All that destruction of the beautiful hills for mcmansions and a lake that's at its lowest point in decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin