Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 11:20 PM

11,026 posts, read 5,978,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Is that a thing in NZ? I would get REAL excited about Easter if that were a thing in the US.
No, not in New Zealand. Here we get a flat rate. The trick is to decline the overtime and take the long break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:12 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have mentioned many times here my disdain for Easter. Usually, I work Easter weekend and make extra $$ but since I am now semi-retired, I decided not to offer my services this past weekend. (As in, I did not want to)
SO instead, I signed up online for the American Atheists Convention and spent the weekend on the computer in chat rooms, panel groups, and meeting other fine atheists from the world over. I will plan to attend the convention in person next year. (Because I want to)
I admire the work the people were doing, more for a community than I can or have done so far, but the inspiration to be more involved in community outreach programs which are Humanist based was what I needed. It is not about sending a check in or dropping off food at the food drive. Throwing money at a problem is often not the solution. Going out and helping box up the food, deliver it to families, handing out clothing items, THOSE are the things I need to get to doing more.

THAT was a good use of the Easter Weekend.
Do you realize agnostic Christians go to church for the same reasons you go to atheism services and conventions?

Old 04-14-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Is that a thing in NZ? I would get REAL excited about Easter if that were a thing in the US.
For us is a lovely family dinner, beverage, and watching the kids do the Easter Egg hunt. Whether God is real or not is a moot point.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:41 AM

747 posts, read 579,391 times
So he died over 2000 years ago. Get over it already.

However, it's a huge family occasion and that is just fine, apart from his untimely "death".

Old 04-15-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
So he died over 2000 years ago. Get over it already.

However, it's a huge family occasion and that is just fine, apart from his untimely "death".
Humans love rituals and celebrations. An excuse to drink and have a good time.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:31 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Well another Easter, another year passes. No Jesus.

Maybe next year.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:40 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Maybe next year.
But I did see Easter eggs today!

Old 04-18-2022, 08:22 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Maybe next year.
Want to place any bets on whether he shows up next eater or not? My pizza money says NO he does not.

According to the Bible, if you are into that and if, like most of us atheists, you have read the whole thing, Jesus said that he would return after death, which he did (supposedly) 3 days later.
Done.

Any talk later of his impending return was to happen DURING the lifetime of the original apostles.

I guess you can say, well, that bird has flown.

I would point out too that in the New Testament, which again, I see as myth and belief, not fact or history, the greatest influencer, Paul, held a belief in a spiritually alive Jesus (not a corporeal Jesus)

All accounts of Jesus, appearing after death to multitudes, were written by Greek (Hellenistic) Jews long after all the eye witnesses would have likely been dead, and reflect an influence of Paul's Hallucinations as opposed to actual fact.

Never mind what I have pointed out about the Invalidity of the Barabbas myth, or the fact that the council would have been forbidden by Jewish law to meet during Passover in order to hold a trial, or carry out death sentences, or even be present at a crucifixion. And the story about the dead zombies getting out of their graves and walking around ......no one else seemed to make note of that horror story and certainly the Romans would have. Sounds like an episode of Fist of Jesus if you ask me.

So yeah, he is not coming back, probably because he never was to begin with. But I hope everyone had a good day anyway

I got a lot of work on the garden completed. More to do, but at least a start. And the Fresh mint made for a decent enough Mint Julip.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:34 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Want to place any bets on whether he shows up next eater or not? My pizza money says NO he does not.
Next eater? Fits with your whole statement though, lol.

I don't think Eddie's making the point that Jesus is supposed to return at Easter, so much as that it's marking another anniversary of his alleged resurrection and the promise of his return remains unfulfilled, at least in any remotely literal sense.

Jesus is said to have prophesied (falsely) that "some of you present with me here today will not taste death before you see [me] return in power and glory" or words to that effect.

By OT standards, if a self-styled prophet predicts something that then does not come to pass, they should be stoned as a false prophet.

But this just gets a free pass.

Talk about inconvenient truths.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:01 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Next eater? Fits with your whole statement though, lol.

I don't think Eddie's making the point that Jesus is supposed to return at Easter, so much as that it's marking another anniversary of his alleged resurrection and the promise of his return remains unfulfilled, at least in any remotely literal sense.

Jesus is said to have prophesied (falsely) that "some of you present with me here today will not taste death before you see [me] return in power and glory" or words to that effect.

By OT standards, if a self-styled prophet predicts something that then does not come to pass, they should be stoned as a false prophet.

But this just gets a free pass.

Talk about inconvenient truths.
Deut 18:22 was the key to my freedom from the indoctrination from the cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism