Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 10:14 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
There is a reason why those countries are poor and dysfunctional. If South Korea let in a lot of poorly educated Indians, then they would be loyal to India, the immigrants would be discriminated, end up on welfare and there would probably be a rise in crime.
Not true at all. Indians in the UK, the US, and Canada are among the minority groups with the highest income, and they are also among the largest minority group in these countries. Indians and East Asians share a lot of the same values.

There are also already large numbers of SE Asians in East Asian countries and they are never an issue the same way migrants in NW Europe are. These countries aren't in any political conflict with East Asian countries. The only nationality that could be a problem in terms of loyalty the same way some Turks, Arabs and Russians are in Europe is Chinese.

Quote:
Denmark's immigration policy is not that different from Sweden. Denmark has the same Schengen laws and have to follow EUs asylum rules. That means Denmark has gotten bad immigrants just like Sweden and South Korea would not get significantly different results if it followed Denmark or Sweden's example. Also, Denmark has a fertility rate of 1.5 - 2.0, not 1. Denmark doesn't need much immigration and would prefer to get less than today.
The number of ME migrants in Denmark is like 1/10 of that in Sweden. Denmark is clearly more selective.

Last edited by Greysholic; 01-29-2024 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 01:29 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Not true at all. Indians in the UK, the US, and Canada are among the minority groups with the highest income, and they are also among the largest minority group in these countries. Indians and East Asians share a lot of the same values.
Only because they take in the top elite from Indian society.

If they took in ordinary Indians, which South Korea would have to do if it wanted to replace the population, then it would not end up well.

Quote:
The number of ME migrants in Denmark is like 1/10 of that in Sweden. Denmark is clearly more selective.
The number of ME migrants in Denmark is around 50% if you adjust for population.

And of course Denmark is more selective, but their laws are not that different due to both of them being forced to follow EU migration laws. So South Korea won't get very different results if it emulates Denmark or Sweden.

Old 01-29-2024, 02:38 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
While I agree with greysholic about Indians, sadly here in Canada we are having a bit of issues with the south asian community. Most are hard working and do very well, we are currently having an issues with immigration and international student scams. Some Canadians cities have become a hot bed of religious extremism from India and also organized crime. Canadians shy away (or simply don't know) from talking about this but Indian organized crime has become major players recently in human trafficking, immigration fraud and even drug trafficking. In a certain Canadian city Indian groups are engaged in a war over drug turf African gangs. Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch about this I can provide MANY articles about this. I persnally live in a city where alot of this stuff is going on.

I also agree with greysholic about Chinese people. While my experience with Chinese people has personally been good, i have seen them flip their lid at any criticism of the CCP. Awhile back there were several protest throughout the country in support of Hon Kong, recently arrived Chinese anti-protestors shut everything down and even resorted to violence in some cases. They can't and will no tolerate any criticism of the CHinese government. That could be a serious problem ging forward.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:02 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Only because they take in the top elite from Indian society.

If they took in ordinary Indians, which South Korea would have to do if it wanted to replace the population, then it would not end up well.
Again, there are many Vietnamese/Indonesians/Filipinos in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Korea now, but they are doing fine. They aren't elites either.

And no, the South Asians in the UK and Canada are not all elites. The ones in America maybe are, but not in the UK and Canada.

Quote:
The number of ME migrants in Denmark is around 50% if you adjust for population.

And of course Denmark is more selective, but their laws are not that different due to both of them being forced to follow EU migration laws. So South Korea won't get very different results if it emulates Denmark or Sweden.
The source of migrants would yield very different results. Extremism is common in ME but rare in SE Asia. If Sweden had taken in 1 million SE Asian immigrants instead of 1 million ME immigrants I doubt there would be any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
While I agree with greysholic about Indians, sadly here in Canada we are having a bit of issues with the south asian community. Most are hard working and do very well, we are currently having an issues with immigration and international student scams. Some Canadians cities have become a hot bed of religious extremism from India and also organized crime. Canadians shy away (or simply don't know) from talking about this but Indian organized crime has become major players recently in human trafficking, immigration fraud and even drug trafficking. In a certain Canadian city Indian groups are engaged in a war over drug turf African gangs. Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch about this I can provide MANY articles about this. I persnally live in a city where alot of this stuff is going on.
Yeah Canada has gone too far with international students. 1 million in a year is bound to be a problem.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Again, there are many Vietnamese/Indonesians/Filipinos in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Korea now, but they are doing fine. They aren't elites either.

And no, the South Asians in the UK and Canada are not all elites. The ones in America maybe are, but not in the UK and Canada.
Low-educated Vietnamese/Indonesians/Filipinos stay on short term labor contracts and need a different visa if they want to stay long term. The rest are spouses or highly educated.

South Korea is selective on who it let's in, which is why it works. You are not going to get the same result from letting in a few hundred thousand South Asian spouses/workers with letting in 10 million migrant workers to stop the population from falling.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:58 AM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and HK are not selective when giving out visas to female immigrants married to local men. HK and Taiwan have most immigrants being wives and children of local men. Most of these are working class before and after emigration. South Korea and Taiwan have some high income expatriates or immigrants, but most of them are teachers. Singapore and HK have more different types of high income foreigners and Mainland Chinese, some will leave and some will stay after some years.

HK and Macau men with British, Portuguese and other foreign passports are attractive to some women because they can move overseas in addition to moving to hk or macau.

In the working class areas of cities and agriculture areas in China, there are kids everywhere. But more educated women generally have less or no kids. The less educated women are less picky and marry working class men. Women from working class married with high income men are considered lucky and not high in numbers.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 01-31-2024 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-31-2024, 08:14 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
In Singapore one reason why they encourage Mainland Chinese immigration is to preserve a Chinese majority. Behind the charade of a multi culture society they fear a growing Malay population who have a higher birth rate.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:26 AM

Singaporean men marry other Southeast Asian countries' and Indian women is common.
The increase in Mainland Chinese immigrants led to increase of Sichuan, Hunan and other Chinese cuisines in HK. In the past HK Chinese food was mostly Cantonese and not spicy. And more kids and young people speaking mandarin at home in singapore and hk.

When Mainland China still has lower salaries than some places, the emigration will continue .

Old 01-31-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and HK are not selective when giving out visas to female immigrants married to local men.
Sure, but local men and women are selective when choosing their partner, so it filters out a lot of people that would cause trouble.

Quote:
Most of these are working class before and after emigration. South Korea and Taiwan have some high income expatriates or immigrants, but most of them are teachers.
You can't just show up and become a teacher in South Korea. There are lots of requirements and a random person in South Asia would not qualify.

Quote:
In the working class areas of cities and agriculture areas in China, there are kids everywhere.
Incorrect. You will find mostly old people in those areas.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:34 AM

The local men in HK and Taiwan are not so selective, working class men marrying same class mainland or foreign women is common, many such families have financial and housing troubles after kids are born due to only the father working and low in income. But the local women are very selective not interested in male working class and smokers.

The foreign teachers in South Korea, Taiwan and HK are mostly from the US, Canada and UK while Russians teaching english in Mainland China not uncommon.

In the urban villages of Chinese cities are where the working class live, there are many kids. Kids with grandparents in non urban areas is also common.

A practice that is uncommon among Chinese outside of mainland china is match making or going to an activity to meet potential spouses. At the meetings, asking others' income, property values and others' parents' wealth is not considered rude.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 01-31-2024 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia