Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 03:41 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times

Advertisements

If you can spare a couple of days in between your busy travel schedule, Kobe is a lovely retreat, far from the madding crowd.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3558.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 04:27 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Need suggestion. I am planning to go to Tokyo in May for a vacation and really want to watch a boxing match, but don't know how to get a ticket for it online. The exact date in May hasn't been announced, but i need to know how to buy a ticket to the event. It's not like they have a ticketmaster place to buy one right? Do i need to go to Tokyo Dome to buy it a few days before the fight? Also if there is a place online, does it have it English? Thanks.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:23 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Osaka is very dull. I would skip it.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:07 PM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Osaka is very dull. I would skip it.
It's a good base for traveling the region (Kyoto, Kobe, Nara, etc.) but that's pretty much it. Good cheap food if you know where to look, and you have all the big city stuff (mainly shopping...). Osaka also has the advantage of being somewhat more compact compare to Tokyo (i.e. Umeda to Namba is only 15 minutes. For Tokyo getting between places can take longer than one think).

Old 01-28-2024, 11:19 PM

32 posts, read 19,531 times
Personally, I'd just spend your limited time soaking up as much of Tokyo and Kyoto as possible - you really can't go wrong in those cities. Maybe skip Osaka unless you're really interested in specific things like USJ. Enjoy your trip and have an amazing time exploring all the culture and beauty Japan has to offer!

Old 02-05-2024, 06:28 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
It's a good base for traveling the region (Kyoto, Kobe, Nara, etc.) but that's pretty much it. Good cheap food if you know where to look, and you have all the big city stuff (mainly shopping...). Osaka also has the advantage of being somewhat more compact compare to Tokyo (i.e. Umeda to Namba is only 15 minutes. For Tokyo getting between places can take longer than one think).
I would still recommend spending a few hours if not the entire day in Osaka. There's a few sites to see like Tsutenkaku, Umeda Sky Building, Osaka Castle, and Dotonbori where the famous Glico Man sign. For food I recommend okonomiyaki which is a pancake with seafood.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:44 AM

283 posts, read 288,791 times
I would actually skip crowded Kyoto, and hit other shrines and castles out of the beaten path. But if you are going to Osaka anyway, I understand that you’ll be tempted to check it out anyway

Old 02-12-2024, 04:57 PM

7,703 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
I would actually skip crowded Kyoto, and hit other shrines and castles out of the beaten path. But if you are going to Osaka anyway, I understand that you’ll be tempted to check it out anyway
Skip Kyoto? This has to be a joke.

You might as well skip Japan, then.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:37 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Skip Kyoto? This has to be a joke.

You might as well skip Japan, then.
I think what that poster meant is that there are temples in shrines similar to what you'd find in Kyoto, just not as well known. I still recommend going to Kyoto at least once, and maybe during the off season. In Kyoto at a minimum go to Kiyomizu Temple, Fushimi Inari Shrine, and Kinkakuji Temple.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:21 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I personally find Japan to be overrated, but still a place worth visiting.

One place I'd have no problem not seeing again is Yokohama's Chinatown. Yokohama is beautiful, as are many places in Japan. But Chinatown there gets way too crowded and can be difficult to enjoy as a result I've found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia