Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2023, 08:53 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times

Advertisements

So, a short while back I posted a thread asking if anybody knew somebody in Manila or on the main island. I needed help, badly. I needed boots-on-the-ground. My brother was sick and stranded over there, without the means to get back on his own. For that matter, without the means to even get to Manila on his own.

Nobody in the family could get over there. The embassy consular services was of very limited help. We needed boots-on-the-ground. And, after I posted here, I figured out a way to do it. One of the suggestions I got was good, so I'll include it in my roundup following.

*The good suggestion was to go through a church. Presumably one you can find some sort of connection to, but I suppose that might not be necessary.
*What I found that worked was to find a concierge service in the country. That turned out to be a simple online search for me: "concierge service Philippines". That got a few hits. I started trying to contact them, and found one.

Our family attends a few churches. Nobody had a mission or congregation anywhere near where we needed them. We have to pay the concierge, but it is way cheaper than one of us flying over, housing, transportation, etc. And they know the country.

In retrospect, I should have thought of this approach earlier. I've got expat experience. I've used similar people before, in other parts of the world. When I finally did think of looking for a concierge service, I hit gold. The concierge isn't bothered, locally, by the time difference. They are devoted to communicating to me, and they are focused on getting done what I want done. Tasks that had eluded my sisters and I for months got done.

In other countries you might not be looking for someone who advertises as a "concierge service" - but the concept is the same. Need boots-on-the-ground in another country? Somebody is probably offering that service!

Our story is not over yet. Brother is still in the Philippine boonies. But, he should be starting his journey back within hours - not some undefined, unknown future date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 09:16 PM

13,255 posts, read 364,885 times
Some Philippine live cams.
Some With chats.
No idea if this will help or not.
Just passing them along.
Agdao, Davao city?sp

https://youtube.com/@JazBazPhilippin...VodoNTdTJjAdcL

https://www.youtube.com/@mariadeseo3191/streams

Enjoy watching sometimes when I can’t sleep.

Last edited by Summerz88; 12-12-2023 at 09:25 PM..

Old 12-28-2023, 10:40 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
So, a short while back I posted a thread asking if anybody knew somebody in Manila or on the main island. . .
I got a message noting that the original post couldn't be found. That's because it was deleted. A mod thought it was off-topic. I can't see that, myself, but having been a mod elsewhere, I know sometimes decisions must be made.

BTW, latest update: the concierge service was able to get bro from his boonie outpost, where he was essentially starving to death, back to a hospital in Manila. Docs in Manila are getting him healthy enough to be able to fly back to the States, where we can get him into assisted living. Because bro is in Manila, and in medical care, the embassy (consular services) has been able to step up and assist. It will be thanks to the consulate that bro will get home from this point. And thanks to the concierge service for getting him to Manila, where the consulate could take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia