Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that Turkey is a middle Eastern country?
Yes, it's a fully middle Eastern country 26 36.62%
It's a mostly middle Eastern country 34 47.89%
No, Turkey isn't a middle Eastern country 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 08:04 AM

1,719 posts, read 730,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
you can keep the first part of the definition: Middle east and near east are the same thing. If turkey is near eastern, that means it's a middle eastern country at the same time
How about an older term -- "The Levant"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 06:41 PM

1,346 posts, read 473,083 times
Turkey is mostly Asiatic with stripes of Europeanism in its tapestry. Much of that European element is derived from their 20th century push towards a more Western like democratic system, usage of the Latin Alphabet (other Asiatic countries like Vietnam do this too though), and their genetic connections to the indigenous Anatolians after many centuries of the Oghuz Turks intermingling with them. Mehmed II fancied himself as 'emperor' of the continued Roman Empire but I'm not sure I would consider that the Roman Empire anymore than the Crimean Khanate could be considered some imitation of the Kievan Rus.

Now is Turkey Middle Eastern? It shares a mutual belief in the Sunni school of Islam, had an empire that once stretched across a good amount of Mesopotamia along with the coastlines of the Arabian Peninsula, has significant cultural influence from them, and even uses a religious symbol commonly associated with Islamic nations. Byzantium/Constantinople used the moon insignia as well but the likeness in which Turkey portrays it today seems to be geared more towards a general Islamic affinity than ancient Anatolian. Having said that, they're a syncretised combination of Turkic, Anatolian, Balkan, Caucasian, and Middle Eastern influences. I'd say they're overall more Asiatic but it's definitely in a transitional zone between continents.

Last edited by Pryvete; 06-24-2022 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-26-2022, 10:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2010s. From one end to the other. Fabulous country. Some scary episodes in eastern Turkey in the 1970s, because I was a girl who wasn't accompanied by a male guardian.
That stuff still goes on, from what I hear.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:06 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
… middle Eastern. …
“Middle Eastern†is British imperial terminology, inherited into US imperial terminology.

Except for copy-cats using or transliterating English, no one in the rest of the world in their own original language thinks in those terms.

I perceive the Turks as a sovereign people seeking to maintain and expand their sovereign influence in the three seas region, Black Sea, Caspian Sea, eastern Mediterranean, as well as their southeastern flank.

The Turks seem to be doing or more or less skillful job at playing the Europeans and Russians off against each other, unlike the Ukrainians who are getting squashed between hammer and anvil, and will come out of this with only small token sovereignty at best.

Good Luck!

Old 06-27-2022, 07:22 AM

419 posts, read 342,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
“Middle Eastern†is British imperial terminology, inherited into US imperial terminology.
half of terms we use today are British or American, and it makes sense, as half of all of the world's Literature and science comes from these two countries.

This doesn't mean that this as a term does not work (quite the opposite, I trust it more as a British or an American term than I would trust it as a Ghanian or a Russian or a Mongolian or a Greenlander or whatever term)

Middle east exists, and that is not even debatable, Like gravity (also a British term/discovery) exists, the question is if Turkey is part of it

Old 06-27-2022, 07:35 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
half of terms we use today are British or American, and it makes sense, as half of all of the world's Literature and science comes from these two countries.

This doesn't mean that this as a term does not work (quite the opposite, I trust it more as a British or an American term than I would trust it as a Ghanian or a Russian or a Mongolian or a Greenlander or whatever term)

Middle east exists, and that is not even debatable, Like gravity (also a British term/discovery) exists, the question is if Turkey is part of it
I think we agree. I see it primarily as classifying an area of the world by location.

Old 10-16-2022, 04:54 PM

419 posts, read 342,131 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lot3r9HK_gU

IStanbul Bazaar during Ramadan. Not something alien to what you would ever see in the Arabic world

Old 10-18-2022, 08:03 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I would have added more options like a hybrid/half Middle Eastern and/or just partially Middle Eastern. It really depends on what part. Of course the southeastern part along the Syrian and Iraqi borders are Middle Eastern, but the western parts like Istanbul or Cappadocia are more Mediterranean. Then again Isreal and Lebanon also are Mediterranean yet at the same time are considered Middle East due to their geographic location. Also the northeast part of Turkey as you get closer to the Georgian and Armenian borders look more Central Asian.

Old 10-18-2022, 04:03 PM

536 posts, read 323,097 times
Turkey is mostly near eastern country except for its european part. In polish and german language near and middle east are separate terms but it seems that in english the term middle east covers also what is near east in german and polish.

Old 10-18-2022, 07:29 PM

383 posts, read 180,869 times
They straddle several regions, not just geographically but culturally, politically. I think that's why some have serious identify crises, ie "MY ANCESTORS"

The area ha long been contested by different powers. For a while, they were under the Greeks, Romans, but now they're ruled by a more easterly people. Who knows what happens in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia