Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that Turkey is a middle Eastern country?
Yes, it's a fully middle Eastern country 26 36.62%
It's a mostly middle Eastern country 34 47.89%
No, Turkey isn't a middle Eastern country 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 12:47 PM

817 posts, read 626,327 times

Advertisements

We must remember that the genetic transition between Europe and the Middle East is clinal, and culture/religion is really the only thing separating both regions. Is Turkey European, Middle Eastern, or something else? If you want to get technical, it is a Eurasian country. Europe and Asia do form a single continent after all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 05:39 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
We must remember that the genetic transition between Europe and the Middle East is clinal, and culture/religion is really the only thing separating both regions. Is Turkey European, Middle Eastern, or something else? If you want to get technical, it is a Eurasian country. Europe and Asia do form a single continent after all
That’s true. Culture plays a big role in defining those borders. Cyprus is fully in Asia geographically, yet most would label it a European country (and it’s also part of the EU).

Old 05-17-2022, 01:20 AM

419 posts, read 342,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
exactly. Turkey is the only country where you can find some "genetically European" people (a few of them even as light as Scandinavians), with oriental culture

my impression has always been that Turkey is: genetically mixed (Eurasian), Geographically almost exclusively Asian, culturally/socially/mentallly Asian, and politically European, even though the latter has changed

Old 05-17-2022, 09:31 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
That exactly is how I felt when i visited Turkey, not one, but 5 times. Bazaars, hookahs, and carpets/rugs were everywhere, something that felt very alien to me. Belly dance felt very native there, and it was not unusual to see people eating on the floor. A LOT of buildings had Arabic pointed archs, like the clock of Izmir.

Forget about Islam, which is Even more frequent in Turkey than among some Arabs themselves (at least compared to Lebanon and Syria). Even without muslim things taken into account, Everything feels so oriental

But in a very weird way, when i see Turkish People talking about this issue online, they reject the idea of any resemblence to Arabs, and they mainly identify with nearby Europeans
Have visited Turkey twice. In September 2021(Istanbul only), then again in November to December 2021(Anatolia, Izmir, Ankara, Gazientep almost Arabia Kurdistan) with some new countries in between. Almost have Turkish ethnicity actually because my Parents, Cousins, Aunts, Uncles are from the Turkish influenced region of Dobrogea Romanian Black Sea. Going between Romania to Turkey, there is almost always another Continent vibe.

Turkey better hold onto the Liras currency. What a nightmare if ever converting to the Euros.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:18 AM

419 posts, read 342,131 times
The clock of Izmir:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0...lock_tower.jpg

I think nobody can ignore the Arabic pointed archs in its architecture. No country in Europe normally has Arabic pointed archs in its architecture, a thing that you easily notice everywhere in Turkish architecture, with the exception of Black sea coast, which in my opinion socio-culturally resembles caucasus more than Middle east

https://stamboulbazaar.com/wp-conten...azaar.jpg.webp

the grand bazaar of Istanbul

Not only these Arabic pointed Arches again, if you remove the Turkish flag, you would easily get confused that you are in an Arabic country, everything resembles Arabic countries in the bazaar, and as soon as you get into a european country, this image is alien

Old 06-22-2022, 09:22 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
This is interesting to me. I used to get into debates with my adopted son about whether or not his home country -- Pakistan -- was part of Asia or the Middle East. He insisted it was an Asian country (based more on geography), while I insisted it was Middle Easter (based more on Muslim culture).

Old 06-22-2022, 09:50 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is interesting to me. I used to get into debates with my adopted son about whether or not his home country -- Pakistan -- was part of Asia or the Middle East. He insisted it was an Asian country (based more on geography), while I insisted it was Middle Easter (based more on Muslim culture).
That makes no sense. The Middle East IS part of Asia.

Anyway Turkey is part European and part Middle Eastern.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:56 AM

828 posts, read 691,106 times
Turkey is 100% not a European country. It may have conquered some European territory that it is still hanging onto, but the USA has territory in the Caribbean. Is the USA a Caribbean country? Of course not. England controls Gibraltar in Africa, but England is certainly not an African country. The same logic should apply to Turkey. It is mostly in Asia, and culturally, it is middle-eastern, which makes it Asian. Turkey is part of the near east and not Europe.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:16 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
The clock of Izmir:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0...lock_tower.jpg

I think nobody can ignore the Arabic pointed archs in its architecture. No country in Europe normally has Arabic pointed archs in its architecture, a thing that you easily notice everywhere in Turkish architecture, with the exception of Black sea coast, which in my opinion socio-culturally resembles caucasus more than Middle east

https://stamboulbazaar.com/wp-conten...azaar.jpg.webp

the grand bazaar of Istanbul

Not only these Arabic pointed Arches again, if you remove the Turkish flag, you would easily get confused that you are in an Arabic country, everything resembles Arabic countries in the bazaar, and as soon as you get into a european country, this image is alien
Why would any of that indicate it's a Middle Eastern country? It's on the doorstep of Europe. That certainly disqualifies it from being "middle" anything. The question is about geography, not culture, is it not? Is Israel Middle Eastern? It's Near Eastern, not "middle".

Old 06-22-2022, 11:21 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Turkey is 100% not a European country. It may have conquered some European territory that it is still hanging onto, but the USA has territory in the Caribbean. Is the USA a Caribbean country? Of course not. England controls Gibraltar in Africa, but England is certainly not an African country. The same logic should apply to Turkey. It is mostly in Asia, and culturally, it is middle-eastern, which makes it Asian. Turkey is part of the near east and not Europe.
Right. The OP is asking if Turkey is middle Eastern, though. Your answer is in the negative, which is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia