Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that Turkey is a middle Eastern country?
Yes, it's a fully middle Eastern country 26 36.62%
It's a mostly middle Eastern country 34 47.89%
No, Turkey isn't a middle Eastern country 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 02:30 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
You’d probably be correct in the historical sense. But then again as far as I know back in the day people also considered Malaysia, Indonesia, Burma, etc all to be “India” or “East India”. There’s probably not super strict borders for what’s considered the Middle East today, but the old Near East overlaps with a lot of it.
Right, that's what I was thinking. To some extent, these designations are relative to each other, and the borders of each region can get wobbly, depending on the context they're used in.

But I'd never consider Israel to be "Middle Eastern". nor Turkey or Lebanon. "Middle Eastern" may have become a catch-all label, for "those Muslim countries over there somewhere, we're not sure where, so we'll just call them 'Middle Eastern' ".

Geography and non-Western cultures have never been Americans' strength in the education realm.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-11-2022 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 08:43 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right, that's what I was thinking. To some extent, these designations are relative to each other, and the borders of each region can get wobbly, depending on the context they're used in.

But I'd never consider Israel to be "Middle Eastern". nor Turkey or Lebanon. "Middle Eastern" may have become a catch-all label, for "those Muslim countries over there somewhere, we're not sure where, so we'll just call them 'Middle Eastern' ".

Geography and non-Western cultures have never been Americans' strength in the education realm.
Why would Israel and Lebanon be excluded from the Middle East? Going by that logic, Jordan and Syria wouldn’t be in the ME either.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Why would Israel and Lebanon be excluded from the Middle East? Going by that logic, Jordan and Syria wouldn’t be in the ME either.
Exactly. I didn't list all the countries that are Near East rather than "Middle". I gave a working definition, that the two you mentioned fit into. You could add Saudi Arabia to that, and other countries on the peninsula.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:48 AM

419 posts, read 342,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Whatever happened to the term "Near East"?
Nothing happened, it's still around, but not that useful anymore (Europe-asia borders are more clear today, and i dont mean geographical borders, i mean istanbul is in Europe, but geographically only), but it's not mutually exclusive of middle East

A country can be 100% middle Eastern, and sometimes being mentioned as 100% near Eastern as well

Old 05-12-2022, 06:26 AM

817 posts, read 626,327 times
Turkey is in that confusing spot geographically, influenced by both European and Middle Eastern cultures. I think culturally and genetically, it is more Middle Eastern than anything though

Old 05-13-2022, 09:39 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Feels solidly so after the in visit experience. Even from Istanbul to Edirne, other than the other side of country: Anatolia, Kurdistan, Izmir to Ankara/Van/Trabzon. Strongly enters exact vibes on another exotic foreign Continent when going from Romania EU Eastern Europe to Turkey for one example. Mosques, "Spirituality", Nargile Smoke Lounges, Turkic Language, Entire Continental approach.

Turkey is most familiar with Azerbaijan, Jordan, Lebanon, Kazakhstan rather than France/Italy/Spain.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:13 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Yes. The Middle East is a region and most would say that Turkey is firmly a part of the region.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:36 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Also heard endless Arabian music when in Istanbul Middle to Late September 2021. After 4 to 5 days later, finally encountered Westernized music in an isolated Luxury Hotel in the outskirts. There isn't even one Europe country that would play Arabic tunes that often. Sounds like Egypt, UAE form.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:25 AM

419 posts, read 342,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Also heard endless Arabian music when in Istanbul Middle to Late September 2021. After 4 to 5 days later, finally encountered Westernized music in an isolated Luxury Hotel in the outskirts. There isn't even one Europe country that would play Arabic tunes that often. Sounds like Egypt, UAE form.
That exactly is how I felt when i visited Turkey, not one, but 5 times. Bazaars, hookahs, and carpets/rugs were everywhere, something that felt very alien to me. Belly dance felt very native there, and it was not unusual to see people eating on the floor. A LOT of buildings had Arabic pointed archs, like the clock of Izmir.

Forget about Islam, which is Even more frequent in Turkey than among some Arabs themselves (at least compared to Lebanon and Syria). Even without muslim things taken into account, Everything feels so oriental

But in a very weird way, when i see Turkish People talking about this issue online, they reject the idea of any resemblence to Arabs, and they mainly identify with nearby Europeans

Old 05-16-2022, 09:03 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
It’s interesting to me that many things considered “Middle Eastern” or “Arab” culture nowadays have the Ottoman Empire and Turks as their culture of origin, which is another reason why there’s some overlap with Southeastern Europe and North Africa as well on things like culinary and religious traditions. I wonder if some of these date back even further to the Turkic groups of Central Asia or the Mongols
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia