Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 12:36 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Bpvwo7wUE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 02:50 AM

20 posts, read 34,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That is shocking violence and the bystanders do nothing. I can't think of any country outside Asia where that is possible. To repeatedly and brutally beat a woman and not have bystanders lunge towards her to protect her and get her out. It is impossible for this to happen anywhere in the Western world and the difference matters for humanity. We don't do the people of other societies justice by ignoring or excusing negative traits in the culture. Cultural relativism is a lie.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:59 PM

127 posts, read 54,334 times
I used to have a fake friend who was Korean
She was a mess. Horrifying. Ultra-superficial and she was constantly dating American boyfriends, but just to post their pics together on instagram to show her friends in Korea, that she suceeded in dating Western boys

It is often said that men treat women like trophies but female Koreans treat men as postcard objects

One day we were in a restaurant, me and this Korean, she complained to me that the waiter didn't serve her the beer she wished for because he thought she was underage
So I got her a beer

She drank 5% of it... Took a picture of it, posted it on insta, called the beer great.
Then she left the remaining 95% of the beer standing on the table and told me she doesn't like it.

I don't know why but the world is totally wrong in Korea

so I agree with OP that Korea is the worst culture & officially support his Korea bashing

Old 12-22-2020, 04:44 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
I am married to a Korean, and have been to the country many times. Korean Culture certainly has its faults, and there are several issues with Korean culture my wife has, which is one of the reasons she migrated to Australia to start with.

When my wife said she was bringing me to Korea the first time (basically an introduction to a future husband in Korea), her mum slammed the phone down and refused to speak to her. When I actually showed up however i was allowed to stay in the mother in laws house, and all the men in the family did their best to get me as drunk as possible as often as possible, despite the language barrier.

I will not say Korea is the worst culture I have ever experienced, all cultures have there good and bad points, and I usually just accept and adapt as best possible, as does my wife. Which may be part of the reason we are still going strong after been married for 11 years.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Paragraphs are your friend.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:28 PM

387 posts, read 357,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrices View Post
No, you just can't accept the truth because you identify with the country or culture. Your "pyschological assessment" is as asinine as you are dumb.
Whoa. It sounds like you're getting pretty worked up over my assessment, which has as much validity as yours, being that we are not dealing with hard science, as you pointed out, but in an area where personal experiences form the framework for analysis, and the conclusions drawn from them are highly credible. Looks as though you are as defensive as you are hypocritical about what you stated was solid proof for making bold claims.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Opposite of my experience while on duty there. Or my daughter's experiences while she was teaching English there.
There you have it!! The OP is wrong, and anyone having a bad experience there is either at fault, or lying!!

Thanks for setting the record straight!! By that measure, COVID is fake- I dont have it, don't personally know anyone that did, so therefore, COVID doesnt exist!!

Old 12-22-2020, 05:41 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrices View Post
That is shocking violence and the bystanders do nothing. I can't think of any country outside Asia where that is possible. To repeatedly and brutally beat a woman and not have bystanders lunge towards her to protect her and get her out. It is impossible for this to happen anywhere in the Western world and the difference matters for humanity. We don't do the people of other societies justice by ignoring or excusing negative traits in the culture. Cultural relativism is a lie.
A Russian owned bar in the Choryang- Dong district of Busan, would be far more likely to have links to criminal gangs (think Mafia, Triads, Yakuza etc) or illegal prostitution, drugs and sex trafficking than just about any other place in Korea.

Texas street in particular is renowned for this, and most English travel guides will tell you its not safe after night. Though funny enough my wife and her friends also like to stay clear of Iteawon as well, I have been a couple of times, but my wife refuses to go.

There certainly is an underworld element in Korea, that may not get much attention.

Of course I am not about to condone such behavior, and you can never say with certainty that drugs or other underworld activity may be involved in the case of the video, however this occured in a place that is very well known for this, to think this behavior is normal or in any way accepted by most Koreans, would be a gross exaggeration of the truth.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
Many people are used to more docile and submissive Asians who kiss the butts of every foreigner, so when they don't get that same treatment from Koreans, it enrages them and wounds their fragile egos and sense of superiority. "These lowly Koreans aren't bowing down to me; therefore, they have the worst culture I've ever experienced."
Kinda defensive there. so anyone with a different opinion from yours is wrong- got it!!

Old 12-22-2020, 06:47 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
There you have it!! The OP is wrong, and anyone having a bad experience there is either at fault, or lying!!

No, it just means than an anecdote here and another anecdote there don't equal a conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia