Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jakarta VS Bangkok VS Manila
Jakarta 14 15.38%
Bangkok 53 58.24%
Manila 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 12:53 AM

18 posts, read 8,350 times

Advertisements

Of the three cities, I would choose Manila due to some key advantages. The warmth and welcoming nature of the Filipino people make it easy to settle in. Having beautiful beach resorts nearby provides convenient getaway options. Additionally, the cultural influence of the United States ensures that English is widely spoken throughout Manila.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 09:53 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.miller View Post
Of the three cities, I would choose Manila due to some key advantages. The warmth and welcoming nature of the Filipino people make it easy to settle in. Having beautiful beach resorts nearby provides convenient getaway options. Additionally, the cultural influence of the United States ensures that English is widely spoken throughout Manila.
Yea, I do think Filipinos from my experience have been very warm people. I feel that way about Thai people as well.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:42 AM

546 posts, read 569,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagpag-Bone View Post
From the populis they pick as their leader

No wonder to see how pinoy mentality with toxicity, social custom with typical western manners / attitide, and the result as worst peace & safety index in region

What a shame society, they even cheering & happy to hear their leader saying bad mouth many times in public

Achmed please stop f0cking your sister.

Last edited by Selurong; 09-28-2023 at 02:55 AM..

Old 12-06-2023, 07:42 PM

1,002 posts, read 905,851 times
Jakarta already has HSR and is already operational. Many predicted that they would lose money because the tickets were expensive, but unexpectedly, it turned out that there were many fans even though the tickets were expensive
It's not wrong that Jakarta has the 3rd best transportation rank in Southeast Asia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lolcyfyiwbk

Old 12-07-2023, 04:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 488,905 times
I didn't want to open a new thread so I will ask in here. I have read different things online about English language in both the Philippines and in Indonesia. I have read the between 80-90% of Filipinos can speak English. I have also read that its probably closer to 40-50%. So I guess my question is how wide spread is English language in the Philippines?

I have also read that Indonesia also as a relatively good number of English speakers, around 30%? Is this accurate? I have also read that learning formal Indonesian is not very useful as most people don't speak formal indonesian, they mostly speak a dialect or speak another language in Indonesia. How true is this?

Old 12-07-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Jakarta already has HSR and is already operational. Many predicted that they would lose money because the tickets were expensive, but unexpectedly, it turned out that there were many fans even though the tickets were expensive
It's not wrong that Jakarta has the 3rd best transportation rank in Southeast Asia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lolcyfyiwbk
I'm not sure about that. Singapore would be number 1, then Bangkok number 2, then I think a toss-up for number 3 between KL and Manila depending on how you measure it, then a toss-up for number 4 among Jakarta, KL, and Manila depending on how you measure it.

It is great to have HSR though and it makes a lot of sense for Java since it's a rather narrow island with one axis being much longer than the other.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:27 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
I didn't want to open a new thread so I will ask in here. I have read different things online about English language in both the Philippines and in Indonesia. I have read the between 80-90% of Filipinos can speak English. I have also read that its probably closer to 40-50%. So I guess my question is how wide spread is English language in the Philippines?
Everybody who went to school had to do some studies in English as well as Tagalog/Filipino. As their second or third languages English tends to be used in legal and business situations while Tagalog is used more often in the media when not using the regions native language. So Filipinos abroad from different ethnic/language groups tend to use Tagalog/Filipino as opposed to the neutral English.

If you look like a stereotypical foreigner people will use English first with you. Just about everyone working for the government or in customer service down to cashiers will be able to speak in English. Most signage and forms will be in English. You would have to be far away from business or tourist areas with folks far removed from their school years to find an English desert.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:56 AM

1,002 posts, read 905,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not sure about that. Singapore would be number 1, then Bangkok number 2, then I think a toss-up for number 3 between KL and Manila depending on how you measure it, then a toss-up for number 4 among Jakarta, KL, and Manila depending on how you measure it.

It is great to have HSR though and it makes a lot of sense for Java since it's a rather narrow island with one axis being much longer than the other.
Yeah, Just look at the link that I shared with you .. 1. Singapore, KL, JKT , BKK . only 4 countries SE-Asian made the list and no manila on there

Old 12-08-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Yeah, Just look at the link that I shared with you .. 1. Singapore, KL, JKT , BKK . only 4 countries SE-Asian made the list and no manila on there

I've already outlined why that list doesn't make sense.

Jakarta and Manila are about equivalent depending on how you're weighting things. Bangkok is definitely a strong step up. This then means the highest Jakarta could hit is fourth since a set of criteria that puts Jakarta ahead of KL would also put Manila ahead.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:17 AM

1,215 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Everybody who went to school had to do some studies in English as well as Tagalog/Filipino. As their second or third languages English tends to be used in legal and business situations while Tagalog is used more often in the media when not using the regions native language. So Filipinos abroad from different ethnic/language groups tend to use Tagalog/Filipino as opposed to the neutral English.

If you look like a stereotypical foreigner people will use English first with you. Just about everyone working for the government or in customer service down to cashiers will be able to speak in English. Most signage and forms will be in English. You would have to be far away from business or tourist areas with folks far removed from their school years to find an English desert.
Interesting, thanks for the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia