Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,164 times

Advertisements

This house was built in the late 1800 and I have corresponded with a lady who lived there with her grandparents who built it. It was a common style in east Pike County at that time and there is another across the mountain south, still standing but modified. The only changes that have been made to this one, as far as I can tell, are the steps are now in a different location and the fireplace has been removed from the near end. It is located at UTM (NAD-27) Easting 0449905 Northing 3783512.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-lewallen-house-1.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,441 times
does someone live in it now?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
This house was built in the late 1800 and I have corresponded with a lady who lived there with her grandparents who built it. It was a common style in east Pike County at that time and there is another across the mountain south, still standing but modified. The only changes that have been made to this one, as far as I can tell, are the steps are now in a different location and the fireplace has been removed from the near end. It is located at UTM (NAD-27) Easting 0449905 Northing 3783512.
It reminds me of Shepherd of the Hills.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
does someone live in it now?
Nope, it's a deer camp but they have done a great job of keeping it good, almost, original. The one across the mountain is also a deer camp but it has been extensively "updated".

Old 03-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It reminds me of Shepherd of the Hills.
Yep, it would make a great movie set. I have some photos of it that were made about 50 years ago and there is very little change. Only the limbs show in the photo, but there are a couple of huge black walnut trees at the front which probably were planted about the time the house was built. An interesting sidebar; The reason we were there was to look for a small family cemetery that is in front of the house. The people who built the house had 17 kids five of them died while babies and were buried there. We didn't find it. The graves probably were marked with plain rocks and may have been moved over the years, or were covered so deeply with leaves in that brier patch we fought our way through, we couldn't see them.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Exploring Arkansas

This is a modern rock quarry in west Clark County. The round "post" sticking up in the middle of the photo is an old water well casing. There was a house on top of the hill in the distant past. On the left of the casing you can see a fault line angling down to the left. On the right you can see where the whole rock formation has collapsed down and slipped to the right. At some time in the distant past there was a "lot of shakin' goin' on" or it could have been a slow process. Anyway, the photo does not do it justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-rock-quary.jpg  

Old 03-04-2010, 08:24 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
Quote:
I love those old houses....there is one on our "cabin neighbor's" land that looks almost just like that, only a little bigger. It's not livable inside, but a previous owner did a "historic preservation" and put up a sign to that effect, with the date and original owner's name, etc., and our neighbor keeps it up also. There is also the barn, spring, smokehouse, and blacksmith shop left....until recently the outhouse was there....I think a tree fell on it. Our cabin neighbor built a little covered bridge over the little creek that runs right through the middle of it all. It's really picturesque, and I love to go down there (our neighbor is a really nice guy and gives us free reign to roam his acreage) and just sit on the front porch steps, look at the beautiful pastures and mountainsides, listen to the creek run, and think about what life was like for the people who lived there.

Slim, you're my kind of guy....an explorer! Love this thread, keep it coming!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I love those old houses....there is one on our "cabin neighbor's" land that looks almost just like that, only a little bigger. It's not livable inside, but a previous owner did a "historic preservation" and put up a sign to that effect, with the date and original owner's name, etc., and our neighbor keeps it up also. There is also the barn, spring, smokehouse, and blacksmith shop left....until recently the outhouse was there....I think a tree fell on it. Our cabin neighbor built a little covered bridge over the little creek that runs right through the middle of it all. It's really picturesque, and I love to go down there (our neighbor is a really nice guy and gives us free reign to roam his acreage) and just sit on the front porch steps, look at the beautiful pastures and mountainsides, listen to the creek run, and think about what life was like for the people who lived there.

Slim, you're my kind of guy....an explorer! Love this thread, keep it coming!
Thanks, my pleasure, but I'll take all the "roses" I can get.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Default Exploring Arkansas

Many think this is a tombstone and was once "officially" reported as such. It is a memorial monument to Benjamin Crow located at UTM (NAD-27) Easting 0463620 Northing 3768725. He was born in Delaware in 1757, was in the 4th Virginia Regiment December 1776 - December 1779 and during that time spent some time at Valley Forge. He moved to Arkansas in 1819 and died in west Clark County in 1930. His actual burial site is unknown. In 1977 the Sons of American Revolution erected this memorial at a nearby location which was thought to be near his actual burial site. A later property owner wanted the memorial off his property so it was moved to it's present location which is more accessible for public viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-b.-crow.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-benjamin-crow.jpg  

Old 03-04-2010, 01:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Many think this is a tombstone and was once "officially" reported as such. It is a memorial monument to Benjamin Crow located at UTM (NAD-27) Easting 0463620 Northing 3768725. He was born in Delaware in 1757, was in the 4th Virginia Regiment December 1776 - December 1779 and during that time spent some time at Valley Forge. He moved to Arkansas in 1819 and died in west Clark County in 1930. His actual burial site is unknown. In 1977 the Sons of American Revolution erected this memorial at a nearby location which was thought to be near his actual burial site. A later property owner wanted the memorial off his property so it was moved to it's present location which is more accessible for public viewing.
He died in 1930??? Or did you mean 1830? Because he deserves more than a monument if he lived to be 173 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas