Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 PM

12 posts, read 79,203 times

Advertisements

We contacted the DHS and did get things reinstated. But it took a while. Only one person knew at the DHS about the law. I had my state rep in my office and he could not answer the question. My son is no longer on unemployment. I just want to do somethin for the young parents that have no one to fight for them and walk away with nothing.

I work for a City and do talk to several state rep. and our congressman and he was the one that got all of the things back. but that doesn't help the ones that are to come

The bottom line is we need to find out in which code,law or regulation code book this located and go before the senate and present it, I tried to get it where I could go to the state legalization meeting in Jan of 2008, but could not get on the adgenda

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-27-2008 at 03:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 06:13 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,210 times
First, nothing in the ArKids First site stated anything about a minimum income. It is true that Unemployment Income is unearned income. Any income that is reported on Line 7 of IRS Form 1040 is earned income. The rest are not. That includes income from unemployment compensation, which is itself another insurance. The law which you seek is nothing more than the federal tax code. So, I'm concerned that the ArKids First administrator would stop benefits due to a lack of income, which is what happens when one loses his job and unearned income counts for naught. That is inconsistent with the goals of the institution. Perhaps the problem lies with the rules they must follow, that they cannot pay their amounts on top of other [state sponsored] insurance payments, such as unemployment insurance.

Every one of these support agencies has a rigid set of rules to follow in doling out entitlements. In addition to qualifying recipients, the rules sometimes address the potential for simultaneous parallel revenue feeds to the same entity. In these cases, the rules are to prevent double dipping from unscrupulous opportunists, though it may seem injurious in the process. I'm only speculating here. Your answers lie with the good people responsible for administering the ArKids First program.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 AM

12 posts, read 79,203 times
thanks for your info. Should it not be that unemployment should not be considered as unearned income. the employer pays this as an insurance that if something happens and you are out of a job, you will have a small income until you can find another job. I understand there are rules and guide lines that we have to go by. BUT, when you have children especially one with special needs and they take away his or her meds, food and doctors visist just because his or her perent is drawing unemployment.right now there are several young people that are drawing umemployment and without a doubt until they have to take their child to a dr. they are not aware of this. This needs to be made public.
By the way Bull Winkus yor write as if you are or were a lawyer. Ar at least work in an high adminstative office. You need to get down to the Arkansasian lingo that we all understand.lol thanks for the info,I am still determined to find an answer.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM

Can't say that I always understand the rules either. And, in your special case, that rings true even more due to my being second party listener to the story you are relating from the ArKids First folks. It seems to me like they'd know if there was another way to take care of the child's need under the condition of unemployment. It's bound to come up before given that they deal with people's needs every day.

So, I guess I'm about as bumfuzzled about it as you are.

No, I've never held any high office, and I'm not a lawyer. BUT, thanks for the complement! I appreciate it. I'm just a grunt blue collar worker with a jim dandy computer and fast Internet connection. If I make a mistake typing or miss the spelling, my computer lets me know by putting a red line under it. Then I right click on the mistake and it (most times) shows me the correction and changes it. My vocabulary seems over the top because I'm so old and have traveled and read so much. I know that sometimes I sound like Ulysses Everett McGill, the lead character in the movie "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?", but I like the character and enjoy embracing his persona for grins. It's all in fun though. Hope I didn't seem stuffy or indifferent.

Good luck in your quest. May the blessings of life be yours to keep!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:49 AM

292 posts, read 1,307,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
No, I've never held any high office, and I'm not a lawyer. BUT, thanks for the complement! I appreciate it. I'm just a grunt blue collar worker with a jim dandy computer and fast Internet connection. If I make a mistake typing or miss the spelling, my computer lets me know by putting a red line under it. Then I right click on the mistake and it (most times) shows me the correction and changes it.
It missed that one.

Raise your hand if you know why.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:39 PM

Duh, ... because there are two words with similar spelling? Compliment and complement?

I'm at work now, so I don't have the benefit of my jim dandy computer. All I got's this Michael Dell thang.

So, off the top of my head, the one I used is a counterpart?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 AM

Yes, compliment is the one you wanted. Complement means to make complete. I don't usually point out things like that on forums (I'd spend my whole life doing that if I did!), but it just struck me as funny that it happened in the same post where you were talking about spell checkers.

Spell checkers are nice, but they don't catch things like that, do they? I find stuff like that in my local paper all the time, and also in the books I read. My daddy was the same way....you could always tell when he had read a book before you....it would be all marked up with spelling and grammar corrections! LOL

I sure wish I could figure out a way to make a living doing this, because that kind of stuff just jumps out at me....but my local paper doesn't think they need any more proofreaders. Once they wanted to say something was an eyesore....they said eye soar. I'm constantly reading bad sentences out loud from it to my kids, as an English lesson!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:58 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
Yes, compliment is the one you wanted. Complement means to make complete.
See................

That's another reason I love this forum.

Not only is it informative and entertaining, but you get book-lurnin' too!

Old 10-30-2008, 01:22 PM

You're never too old to learn Roger Dodger! My problem is I keep learnin' the same things over and over again!

LuvArkansas, we could all use a proof reader. Payin' for it's a different matter. Lot's of people get paid to proof read. They're usually called Editors. IMHO, if they miss something as obvious as eye soar then they are not really earning their keep as a copy editor. I see it all the time, too. It's funny, yet in a sad kind of way, when you're at the doctors office and pick up one of the slick magazines and try to read an article that deals with some serious subject only to be distracted by use of English that reveals a complete lack of training in that area. And they wonder why their magazines don't sell that well... Tisk ... tisk ...

Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM

Here's another example that I saw just a few days ago....I was reading a novel by a well-known Christian writer, and in the story line someone was trying to destroy the heroine's character.....the sentence said he "started making illusions" about her. Of course the word is "allusions". I have found at least one of these types of mistakes in every one of the books I've read by this author (and I've read, probably, over 20). He is a very well-known Christian author, with a huge number of published books by a well-respected publishing house. You would think, with words being their business, that they would be more meticulous with them. And, like you, I've also noticed more mistakes in magazine articles than I used to.

Here is something I've noticed lately that bugs me....tell me what you think about it. I read a lot of gardening magazines, and they've all taken to saying "backyard". Like this...."And in the backyard you will find many beautiful shrubs." I've always thought that, used in that context, it would be "back yard". It would only be "backyard" when it was being used as an adjective, before another word...."a backyard patio", for example. What do you think?

Oh, I could tell you so many stories about our local paper, but of course, I can't remember them all. LOL It's actually a pretty nice paper for a small town, with lots of coverage and great pictures, and the editor/owner is a really good man, but their spelling and grammar need work. Every so often, they will come up with a big headline with a subject/verb disagreement, and we all get a big laugh out of it at my house. I did offer my services as a proofreader once a few years back, but the editor said he had plenty. I read in the paper a few years down the road that his wife is one of them!

I know this is boring for the rest of you, so I won't keep going on it much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas