Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Probly got ya beat.

When I moved, I had a 2800 sq foot Victorian built in 1871, I swear the whole upstairs, and basement, was storage.

I tried to be realistic, and ordered a huge dumpster.

Filled that, then got a 26 foot truck to move my stuff. Filled that truck, then hired a mover, and filled my pickup and SUV after that in a 2 month move.

Good thing I've got a *big* ol' shop building.

Then sat around and said...."Gee, I wish I hadn't thrown *that* out!"

Buy me books and buy me books....yep..ate the covers.
I would be scared to have that much room. I'm a total knick-knacker. But I am majorly impressed that you were able to toss anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:37 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,269 times
Any predictions on the damage the 'gators are going to do the Hogs this weekend??? Anyone?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
No not me. That's my mother's thing. She is a hard core gator fan. I must root for the Hogs anyway.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:04 PM

297 posts, read 1,299,757 times
Default I agree also....

It would be nice to talk to the Arkansas "locals".

Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,210 times
Time to take this thread off topic.

The world is changing pretty rapidly these days. If anyone has been following the international banking crisis, it's easy to see that the world has shrunk. Just yesterday, there was a global coordinated bank interest rate drop, the first ever, by many different countries at once.

The stuff that made the US a wealthy country ($$) is rapidly leaving the country to pay for our oil addiction. Foreign companies have been buying traditional US corporations. Chrysler, & Budweiser to name just 2 recent ones.

So, it struck me with a weird sense of wonder when I watched this video from You Tube about Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds Park. I mean WEIRD!

YouTube - Arkansas Diamond Park

Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Time to take this thread off topic.

The world is changing pretty rapidly these days. If anyone has been following the international banking crisis, it's easy to see that the world has shrunk. Just yesterday, there was a global coordinated bank interest rate drop, the first ever, by many different countries at once.

The stuff that made the US a wealthy country ($$) is rapidly leaving the country to pay for our oil addiction. Foreign companies have been buying traditional US corporations. Chrysler, & Budweiser to name just 2 recent ones.

So, it struck me with a weird sense of wonder when I watched this video from You Tube about Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds Park. I mean WEIRD!

YouTube - Arkansas Diamond Park
Fasten your seabelt.

The last time I saw something like this, though not nearly as bad, I was working in the Chicago area, and the Japanese were buying everything.

I used to like to go to the 95th floor of the Hancock building, nice bar and restaurant up there. I remember getting on the elevator one night, and my date and I were the only occidentals.

Went to the crowded bar, and there were like 3 other american couples in there, and about 80 Japanese. Very surreal.

That passed, and this will too.

Now, we have been the bargain basement for foreign vacationers. I see land transfers in the local paper and I see Asians, Pakis, Indians....all buying up lots sight unseen.

They're not going to move there, they're just speculating.

Now Europe and Asia are getting their markets trashed also, and I'm listening right now to the talking head on TV saying this may be the death stroke for GM.

We have some terrible management for these monster corporations that have flushed untold billions of dollars with their bad decisions, and the "chickens are coming home to roost", as we say 'round these parts.

I feel bad for people still in the market, but I could see a lot of this coming years ago when I saw subdivisions springing up overnight and immigrants and young couples buying $300,000 houses made out of cardboard like it was a blue light special at K-Mart.

I'm sooooo glad I bailed from the market...and the world, basically, when I did.

Still......asprin bottle at the ready...this is going to hurt.

*All* of us.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 AM

620 posts, read 2,083,210 times
That it will. (hurt all of us.) Like you, I cashed out early. I've had my 401K in stable value fund for a year and a half now. I did have a brokerage account that I was playing and have lost more than half of it. But, that statement is measured from what I could have had, had I bailed at the top, which is not really a loss. Right now, that portfolio is still net positive from initial investment and will be much higher before I need to cash it out.

The same measure could be applied for most of the remaining market stocks. It just depends on where the entry point was. Long term investors see a set back. Short term investors see a loss. Either way, it ain't pretty.

Success or failure is not something they stamp on your Harvard degree on graduation. No, sir! You have to earn that, and in the business world, at the top where the big bucks are made, it's a shark infested complicated world. If you steer your ship into the reef, chances are you're going down with the ship. At least that's the justification for the high salaries and options grants CEOs get.

Funny though, even the collosal failures retire wealthy, even if they get jail term.

Enough of this rambling. It's someone else's turn.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:41 AM

12 posts, read 79,203 times
Thumbs up goverment issues for our state and the other 49???????

I am a Arkansasian borned and raisied. I just found this site yesterday. Looks good to me. I would like some opinions from some of you later on. I work everyday and have some problems that concern anyone that have children or grandchildren. They are goverment topics so I will get back with you guys at a later time today

Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 AM

12 posts, read 79,203 times
I found out last year that if a person is laid off and draws their unemployment, if they have children on ArKids insurance the insurance is cut off. My grandson has DiGeorge Sydrome and has had 2 open heart surgeries,has a pacemaker and was fed at the time with a feeding tube. He is 3 years old.He gets a small SSI check and when my son had to draw unemployment all of his benefits were cut off.His insurance was cut off, his ssi income was cut off everything, including the food he had to have with his feeding tube,just because his dad was laid off. I called about this and was told that there was a federal law that unemployment was considered as unearned income. I wrote to about 27 congressmen,senators, even the governor,and the president. no one could tell me where that law is written. Is this a law that has been swept under the rug? Can someone give me some advice as to where to go to find this law, rule or code. I have been working on this for over a year and no one can help me. i have spoke with several young people over the past year and one young couple told me that they had their home financed through FHA and because they started drawing their unemployment their house payment went up because unemployment is considered as unearned income. Is this not backwards? I am not doing this for myself but for all of the young people with children here in Arkansas, that have been or may have to draw their unemployment. Can we get together on this and find out how we can change this. As the econony is now, there are so many people being laid off and for these that have children on ArKids or a handicapped child this is not right. The children should be able to continue to have their insurance. I found this web site yesterday, now I know that all of us that live in Arkansas can find a answer to this.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:43 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymimi View Post
I found out last year that if a person is laid off and draws their unemployment, if they have children on ArKids insurance the insurance is cut off. My grandson has DiGeorge Sydrome and has had 2 open heart surgeries,has a pacemaker and was fed at the time with a feeding tube. He is 3 years old.He gets a small SSI check and when my son had to draw unemployment all of his benefits were cut off.His insurance was cut off, his ssi income was cut off everything, including the food he had to have with his feeding tube,just because his dad was laid off. I called about this and was told that there was a federal law that unemployment was considered as unearned income. I wrote to about 27 congressmen,senators, even the governor,and the president. no one could tell me where that law is written. Is this a law that has been swept under the rug? Can someone give me some advice as to where to go to find this law, rule or code. I have been working on this for over a year and no one can help me. i have spoke with several young people over the past year and one young couple told me that they had their home financed through FHA and because they started drawing their unemployment their house payment went up because unemployment is considered as unearned income. Is this not backwards? I am not doing this for myself but for all of the young people with children here in Arkansas, that have been or may have to draw their unemployment. Can we get together on this and find out how we can change this. As the econony is now, there are so many people being laid off and for these that have children on ArKids or a handicapped child this is not right. The children should be able to continue to have their insurance. I found this web site yesterday, now I know that all of us that live in Arkansas can find a answer to this.
OK, if I understand correctly, first you want to find the law?

I would think that going directly to a social security office with the inquiries would facilitate that. No?

The ArKids site listing eligibility has no mention of non-eligibility because of unemployment payments, but there is an eligibility hotline number to call for questions about eligibility:

Is my child eligible?

What about Medicaid? Has your son checked with DHS on eligibility?

As for changing things.........well, when small issues hit the "big" people, or when large issues hit the "little" people, the politicians take note. If this were widespread, I would think it would certainly get attention.

However, all these cuts to your grandson because his father got laid off work does not sound right. What is your son saying/doing about it?

I would think that at the very least, one may want to confer with counsel for some advice and to try to get the benefits reinstated.

That's why these folks exist:

Arkansas Legal Services Partnership (http://www.arlegalservices.org/Home/PublicWeb - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas