Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM

14 posts, read 49,056 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to east Arkansas. Possibly the Trumann area. Can anyone give me reasons to pursue interest in that area or should I look else where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 06:52 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
Why in the world do you want to move to Trumann? Small town with a drug problem and not many jobs. You would most likely be driving to Jonesboro every day for work-- might as well move there. If you are wanting to live in a small town why not Bay, Bono, or Bookland? They are closer to Jonesboro than Trumann and are decent communities.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Most of eastern Arkansas is either stagnant, or is losing population. The only exceptions to this are Craighead and Greene counties, in the northeastern part of the state. Jonesboro is home to Arkansas State University, and benefits greatly from that. Paragould's growth is closely connected to that of Jonesboro's. It has become kind of an alternative to those working in Jonesboro, but want a little smaller town, I guess. Jonesboro isn't very big, though. There is some industry in Paragould, but Jonesboro is where most of the region's jobs are located.

The eastern third of Arkansas, where all this and Trumann are located, is in the Mississippi Delta region. It's one of the most impoverished areas in the U.S. With an economy that's been stagnant since anyone can remember, there are few jobs in these areas. Of course, the afore mentioned are the exceptions. West Memphis, Arkansas is a suburb of Memphis. Not the nicest one by a long shot, but there are some decent neighborhoods.

I don't know a lot about Trumann, but there are some places in eastern Arkansas to steer clear from. Blytheville and Helena come to mind. A lot of those towns right along the river are pretty bad. Typical of rural America, the entire region suffers from drug problems. Particularly crystal meth.

One good thing about Trumann, is it's proximity to Memphis and Jonesboro. Less than an hour from the former, and thirty minutes or less to the latter. Watch out for speed traps on 63. They were supposed to tone down on those, but I'm sure there is still some around.

Whether or not you should pursue this depends greatly on if you can actually get a job in that part of the world.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 AM
GG2

2 posts, read 7,694 times
If you have children and are looking for a decent school system that is small...try Bay or East Poinsett County (Tyronza Elementary). If you are adults and wanting to live in a small community that is accessible to larger cities....Memphis or Jonesboro....live in Marked Tree. You can be in downtown Memphis in 35 minutes....about the same time it takes you to drive to Jonesboro.

It is interstate to both cities....with the speed limit 65 mph through those small towns that used to be big speed traps.

Hope this helps....need more information on what you are wanting....

Old 07-08-2008, 11:12 AM

17 posts, read 69,786 times
Moved to Trumann my Senior year of High School. IMO there is nothing attractive there. I agree with J Arp, drugs were a problem for that little town when I was in school.

I left as fast as I could after graduating and have never been back. I have friends who live in Manilla, AR and work in Jonesboro. They say Trumann hasn't changed much through the years.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Trumann had a major drug problem at least 12 years ago and it continues. Absolutely nothing there. Don't waste your time, look elsewhere.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Trumann had a major drug problem at least 12 years ago and it continues. Absolutely nothing there. Don't waste your time, look elsewhere.
Have to agree with Pearlbob. I use to have a route where I had three stops in Trumann, before the new wal-mart supercenter opened, and from what I can tell, its not a place I want to move. I also had to spend a week there once, because they couldnt find any workers in town to help reset one of the grocery stores. Wasnt a fun week.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM

14 posts, read 49,056 times
Default thanks for the Trumann info

Thanks to all of you who post replies. I am at a total lost where to go. But I think i will look elsewhere...

Old 10-18-2008, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,359 times
Default Trumann info

I've lived in Trumann 23 years out of the last 28 years. I moved away 2 times but kept coming back and have been here for the last 18 years.

Is there a drug problem in Trumann? Yes, but last time I read the newspaper and looked at the TV there is a drug problem everywhere. Do children not have many activities? Well we don't have a bowling alley, mini golf, arcade or city swimming pool if this is what you are looking for. What about jobs you ask? Well if you want one you can find one and if you don't you won't find one, kinda like everywhere you go.

So why did I keep returning and finally stay in Trumann? I love small town living. The house I purchased 18 years ago has over 2,000 square feet 3 BR 2 Bath on 1/2 acre lot and cost $ 66,500. A house like it in Little Rock at that time would have cost $ 95,000 to $ 120,000 and in Jonesboro would have been $ 85,000 to $ 105,000.

I can go pay my utility bills, buy groceries, visit with friends (know whats going on in town) LOL , fill up with gasoline and be home in a little over an hour. If my drivers license happens to need renewing just add about 8 more minutes to my trip.

I'm 15 minutes from Jonesboro where I can shop and purchase anything I can't get in Trumann or indulge in any entertainment that I might not have in Trumann. It would take me longer than that to get somewhere in a larger city.

I almost forgot to mention I passed the new High School being built on my way to the Super Walmart (we have one of those 24/7 here in Trumann) to pick up a $ 1.00 movie rental for my grand-kids. The High School will be equipped will all the things kids need to prepare themselves for their future just like the schools in a larger city.

We even let Physicians, Dentist, Lawyers and other white collar folks live and work in our small town. The Ford dealer just celebrated their 50 anniversary this past week and served BBQ pork, ribs, chicken slaw, beans, sweet tea and cake to over 500 folks in our area.

So before you go putting my small town down just meet me at the local coffee shop and you might find out Trumann is a GREAT place to live and when you slow down you just might live longer and enjoy it more.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 AM

12 posts, read 79,196 times
Default look some where else

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiemeeks View Post
Looking to move to east Arkansas. Possibly the Trumann area. Can anyone give me reasons to pursue interest in that area or should I look else where?
look somewhere else EXTENTED DRUG ALLEY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas