Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2024, 05:07 AM

2,725 posts, read 2,229,998 times

Advertisements

A while back I saw an article on one of the local TV stations about more federal money coming in for a solar power plan for residents of Arkansas. I can't find that article now.

Anyone know about this and how it works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 04:51 PM

9,013 posts, read 4,706,589 times
Well, it exists.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/bid...er-residential
Quote:
EPA announces 60 selectees under Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund grant competition to deliver solar to more than 900,000 low-income and disadvantaged households nationwide through the President’s Investing in America agenda
April 22, 2024
Something you may want to consider.
https://www.marketplace.org/2024/04/...nts-for-homes/
Quote:
“Do you need a new roof? Because you don’t want to put new solar panels on an old roof,” Baird said.

Solar panels have had early adopters, he added. “But then there’s this, like, valley of death before you get to the mass market. And that’s kind of where we are.”

Baird said solar is on the way out of that valley, but there are still challenges, even with a big investment like the one announced Monday. One is limited technical know-how.

“We are missing a generation of skilled construction workers in America and in Europe,” Baird said.
The real problem with solar panels: that valley of death is there, because the technology promised more than it can deliver.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:18 PM

16 posts, read 7,223 times
There is so much to think about I decided not to get them. The contractors are pushing hard with the salesman pressure. Trust me you are not getting the panels for free. As stated they will be an issue when you need a new roof or need work done on it. Most are getting loans. More of a liability selling your house unless you are just going to take a loss.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:25 PM

1,031 posts, read 554,808 times
You can put solar panels on an old roof. You just don't want to put it on a roof that has structural issues. Solar is a very simple install, much simpler that many other electrical installs. But you have to be in the right area for it. Primarily, this means Az, Hi, NM, etc. The deep South isn't very well suited to it due to the high humidity and frequent storms. I'm in Little Rock, and we had sun, storms, rain, sun, etc all just today! So solar panels need, well, solar stuff. Sunlight.

The solar installs in the states I mentioned are mostly out in the boonies where you have a choice of solar and nothing. Nearly all are put in by the owners, most of whom know little about doing this. But those systems are very simple. Small homes, inexpensive used golf cart batteries for electrical storage, propane fridges and water heaters, and most run on a 12V system, especially for lights and things. They're not going to have to work w/ 120 V in a 2,000 sg ft home w/ central A/C and heat. These are also stand-alone systems. I don't think I would tie solar into the existing grid and feed it back to a utility company because who knows if any of that is accurate? Besides, that's where the complications come in at.

Solar can seldom be a stand-alone system for traditional homes, or be cost effective on homes that are on an electrical grid which is shared w/ the utility companies. The whole idea of solar is to pull the plug on your electrical provider. Otherwise, I don't think the $$$ figures can even come close to making it worthwhile as an investment unless you got a deal on the batteries and had a small home to begin with. Preferably one that was built from the ground up to incorporate solar.

Adobe is your best bet. The adobe homes in NM are often hundreds of years old and are extremely energy efficient because they were designed that way from the beginning. Most have walls that are 1 1/2 feet thick or more. By the time the home starts to heat up in the summer or cool down in the winter the sun has set or risen, and the temperatures have changed. Those owners don't have to deal w/ a poorly insulated stick built home that transmits extreme temperatures quickly into the dwelling.

Last edited by stephenMM; 05-04-2024 at 08:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM

9,013 posts, read 4,706,589 times
A lot of people know how seldom I agree with stephenMM,

but on this, I think stephenMM is correct.

Old Today, 05:27 AM

2,725 posts, read 2,229,998 times
My brother has his solar panels built on a frame in his yard. He has close to 3 acres and plenty of room for them. My roof is three years old and I don't have enough sun space for a frame to have the solar panels put on. I do have a perfect roof for full sun.

Being I am retired and have very little taxable income the traditional method of getting tax breaks will not work for me. Then I saw an article on one of the local tv websites that mentioned that Arkansas was getting more money than they expected to help low to medium income families get solar panels installed. But I could never find more info on this article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas