Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 02:18 PM

858 posts, read 680,223 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite architectural style?

And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 04:02 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Neo-classical/Georgian-

Why? Well, just look at it!!!

Old 07-14-2022, 02:39 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I love traditional New England colonial. Jay

Old 07-15-2022, 06:40 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
The people have spoken, and it appears they're willing to buy houses in a style they don't much care for because they like what's inside them:

The Most Popular House Styles, According to Each State | HomeAdvisor

One interesting finding: People either really love contemporary houses or they really hate them: it's the only style to make both the most-popular and least-popular top four.

Another, however, is that colonials are among the least popular house styles — and I'd say that home builders churn out more of those (or derivatives of them) than of any other single house style.

Personally, I am fond of contemporary houses. I also like Craftsman-style houses (one of the other most popular styles). Midcentury modern, another style I like, is the most popular style in the state I call home, according to the survey, and there are plenty of great examples of that style in the Philadelphia area. Actually, come to think of it, I'd put midcentury modern at the top of my favorite-style hierarchy.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:25 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
I'm a big fan of Scandinavian modern. Love the classic lines and wonderful woodwork. It rarely goes out of style.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:45 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Stucco Spanish colonial or Pueblo revival or a fusion of those makes great sense in this high desert climate. Some of these might be adobe but these days they are mostly frame-built with stucco overlay. Flat roofs are climate friendly due to the periods of strong winds and the low rainfall. They will have ample covered outdoor space (portals) for outdoor activity protected from the sun. Some larger homes might have an interior courtyard, and many will have exterior walled courtyards, maybe two. Interiors will have tile floors, maybe Saltillo tile. Higher beam ceilings with vigas, maybe square or left round. Rounded corners, mostly white or light neutral colors. Maybe some exposed adobe surfaces. All of that is a modern version of regional vernacular and traditional homes.

Unfortunately, what we see being built is some sort of weird Tuscan/Pueblo/Palladian multi-storied monstrosity, draped with stucco, with some kind of tiled gabled roof.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:50 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

Unfortunately, what we see being built is some sort of weird Tuscan/Pueblo/Palladian multi-storied monstrosity, draped with stucco, with some kind of tiled gabled roof.
Yeesh, that does sound awful, and I haven't even seen any pictures of such houses yet. But I can imagine them in my head — they sound like builders are dressing up Colonials in Southwestern drag.

And you now know what people think about Colonials per that poll.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:27 PM

338 posts, read 616,756 times
Art Nouveau. Brussels is full of them.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:31 AM

899 posts, read 539,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The people have spoken, and it appears they're willing to buy houses in a style they don't much care for because they like what's inside them:

The Most Popular House Styles, According to Each State | HomeAdvisor

One interesting finding: People either really love contemporary houses or they really hate them: it's the only style to make both the most-popular and least-popular top four.

Another, however, is that colonials are among the least popular house styles — and I'd say that home builders churn out more of those (or derivatives of them) than of any other single house style.

Personally, I am fond of contemporary houses. I also like Craftsman-style houses (one of the other most popular styles). Midcentury modern, another style I like, is the most popular style in the state I call home, according to the survey, and there are plenty of great examples of that style in the Philadelphia area. Actually, come to think of it, I'd put midcentury modern at the top of my favorite-style hierarchy.
Clickbait article.

The most popular style in Maryland is adobe? Who would have thought?

Nor do I see what differs between most of the styles. Cottage versus colonial? Bungalow versus craftsman? Adobe versus Mediterranean?

Old 08-25-2022, 09:58 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
My favorite style is one-story home with clean lines and simple trim. No soaring 2-story open areas inside, no tacked-on bumpouts that invite roof leaks. My ideal home would have a 4-car garage around back, one 2 car garage for cars and the other 2 car space for my hobbies, ideally heated and air-conditioned.

Having a backyard garden saved my sanity in Covid. Gardens should be included in "architectural style" in my opinion, it's part of the homestead.

I LOVE the way 2 story homes look from the street but having built one and owned another I know how much more effort is expended going up and down. One story home built in Zone X above flood level is all I'll live in. We get so much more use from our home space on one level. Neither of us has difficulty with stairs, not overweight or health issues, etc. Nearby relatives have their guest room on second floor and due to 14 stairs straight up no one stays there after first visit. When you have 9' ceilings on ground floor the stairs up get treacherous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum