Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:15 PM

12 posts, read 13,006 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm wondering if it's nesassary to have a non-electric heating source in Chugiak. Does the power go out alot? Is a Hotwater baseboard system enough? It is the ONLY heat source in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 11:19 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,642,833 times
I think you'll find most homes just have one heat source. Ours is a forced air natural gas furnace.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:30 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,198,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augleeski View Post
Hi all! I'm wondering if it's nesassary to have a non-electric heating source in Chugiak. Does the power go out alot? Is a Hotwater baseboard system enough? It is the ONLY heat source in the house.
Hot water baseboard is just fine[lots of houses have it]. If you are worried about power failures you can replace the water with glycol.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:57 PM

12 posts, read 13,006 times
Sure lots of houses have it, but living in Alaska with only one heat source is nutts! Right?!?!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:38 PM

Gas forced air and wife!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,905,696 times
I don't know about Chugiak, but where I live (Interior middle of nowhere) it's very poor planning not to have a primary or backup source of heat that operates independent of electricity. Which is pretty much a woodstove. The electricity is regularly on the blink and a house freezes fast at twenty, thirty, forty, fifty below.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I don't know about Chugiak, but where I live (Interior middle of nowhere) it's very poor planning not to have a primary or backup source of heat that operates independent of electricity. Which is pretty much a woodstove. The electricity is regularly on the blink and a house freezes fast at twenty, thirty, forty, fifty below.
That is what backup generators are for. Don't you have one?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 AM

681 posts, read 1,213,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I think you'll find most homes just have one heat source. Ours is a forced air natural gas furnace.
This is not the case in the Interior. I know very few people who have only one heat source. Some may only use it when absolutely needed, but it's there. My primary source is hot water baseboard, but the woodstove is generally in use everyday from now until sometime in April. I also have a couple of kerosene heaters and an indoor rated propane unit that could be used in a pinch. If you live in the Interior you learn very quickly what it takes to stay warm in the winter and not to rely upon one source.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,642,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
This is not the case in the Interior. I know very few people who have only one heat source. Some may only use it when absolutely needed, but it's there. My primary source is hot water baseboard, but the woodstove is generally in use everyday from now until sometime in April. I also have a couple of kerosene heaters and an indoor rated propane unit that could be used in a pinch. If you live in the Interior you learn very quickly what it takes to stay warm in the winter and not to rely upon one source.
I should've taken more time in response... Since the OP was asking about Chugiak, I was basing my answer on homes in the Anchorage/Eagle River/MatSu Valley. Places on the grid with decent response times to power outages. For any homes outside of that; yes, a second heat source would make sense.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:54 AM

7,344 posts, read 6,970,200 times
If you have a serious seismic event , the gas will be more of a liability than an asset. IMO
I reserve as many different means if heating and cooking as is possible .
Having been through several disasters, it has always paid off.
I did a comparison in my wood stove to prove a point to my self .
I had rebuilt the stove because the sheet metal had rusted away seriously. ( an 1860s' shepherd's stove and oven)
Any way I made some modifications to make he unit more universal, including an insert gas barbecue burner, for cooking during the summer months.
What I found is that the gas burns with a shorter flame, and though good for heating a sauce pan, lousy for heating the house. If you have a good source of fire wood ,and know what your doing it is a good alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage