Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2023, 09:59 PM

639 posts, read 402,590 times

Advertisements

I feel like I'm sick 24/7. Growing up I never had allergies. Then around the age of 23, I suddenly was struck with allergy symptoms. Since then I've always had them and my symptoms are progressively worse. I'm 32 now.

I feel extremely tired all the time, my nose is always running, ears are clogged, face always hurts under my eyes, nose, head. I don't hear well and at times I've blowed my nose, and my ears pop so bad I get bad vertigo and it's painful. My eyes are so itchy. I rub ad rub causing severe irritation to the point where every blink feels like scratching on glass. I saw an eye doctor and he said I'm causing minor scratches on my eye lid. I have steroid drops for my eye that help heal it. But I don't want to use them a lot, because they cause higher eye pressure.

I hate allergy medicine. I'm trying to avoid the side effects from nasal sprays. I'm getting desperate, should I just take the medication?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 02:49 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
I feel like I'm sick 24/7. Growing up I never had allergies. Then around the age of 23, I suddenly was struck with allergy symptoms. Since then I've always had them and my symptoms are progressively worse. I'm 32 now.

I feel extremely tired all the time, my nose is always running, ears are clogged, face always hurts under my eyes, nose, head. I don't hear well and at times I've blowed my nose, and my ears pop so bad I get bad vertigo and it's painful. My eyes are so itchy. I rub ad rub causing severe irritation to the point where every blink feels like scratching on glass. I saw an eye doctor and he said I'm causing minor scratches on my eye lid. I have steroid drops for my eye that help heal it. But I don't want to use them a lot, because they cause higher eye pressure.

I hate allergy medicine. I'm trying to avoid the side effects from nasal sprays. I'm getting desperate, should I just take the medication?
Looks like you're faced with choosing the lesser of two evils: living with allergic/histamine reactions or living with various side effects of preventing and treating them. Have you ever tried systemic oral antihistamines (like Claritin, Zyrtec, etc.) instead of trying to treat specific symptoms with multiple symptom relievers? I've found Claritin quite effective for such allergic reactions, but as always, YMMV.

Have you ever considered allergy immunotherapy (commonly known as an "allergy shot" regimen) that can boost your resistance to known allergens? Thousands of folks do. They can be tailored to your specific allergens so it requires testing first. I went through such testing and shot series as a kid. I went from almost incapacitated to functional. Well worth it IME. Of course, allergies and the intensity of someone's reactions to allergens can change over time.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20392876

As per the bolded, aren't the steroid drops a temporary treatment? If so, once the abrasions are healed wouldn't you stop using the drops? If they do increase interocular pressure wouldn't that side effect be temporary as well? Why bother to ask for a prescription but not follow the prescription's dosage directions? Have you asked the optometrist how temporary the pressure increase is? I'd probably exchange a temporary treatment side effect to avoid more permanent damage. I'd finish the prescription, have my eyes checked to be sure the abrasions have resolved, then stop the drops.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-08-2023 at 03:25 PM..

Old 11-13-2023, 10:53 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:

Have you seen an ENT as well as an allergist?

Old 11-13-2023, 11:54 AM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times
You need an assessment from an allergist as it appears you probably have environmental allergies based on rhinitis and eye symptoms.

It might be multiple allergies which can cause other allergies to add up inclusive of food. You are just hypersensitive to everything right now.

Testing can help to determine what things you are allergic to and to what extent overall with IgE levels.

There's not much you can do when you are outside and about. You want to consider using HEPA air filters to get rid of pollens and anything in the air at home. People also have problems with dust mites and so there are special mattress covers one can use. This can lower the allergen burden overall.

Old 11-23-2023, 10:37 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:

Histamine Intolerance or Idiopathic Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) come to mind. Search for a doctor in your area who specializes in these kinds of syndromes and schedule an appointment to see if you meet the criteria.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:25 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I even get back pain from allergies. Generally, a long hot soak in a tub helps w/ the pain, and I feel a lot better all over after that. In allergy season I may take several baths a day. It helps. Makes sure when you come in you wipe your face and hair w// a damp rag or step in the shower, and keep the living and sleeping area wiped down regularly.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:09 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Seems that the back pain would be due to arthritis not allergies.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:53 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:

You might be reacting to an unknown food allergy.

I recently discovered that I was allergic to wheat. I stopped eating it and within one week feel so much better. My allergies went away, my GERD stopped, and my anxiety diminished. Now I feel calm and happy.

Try it. You have nothing to lose.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:36 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
If you're not already seeing an allergist, I would consult with one, and try to find a good one. If there is a specific dietary or environmental stimulus that can be identified, and that you can avoid, that's really the best remedy.

Systemic inflammation is what causes the unpleasant symptoms and in some cases, harm in allergy. Both anti-inflammatory drugs and anti-histamines can provide relief, but both have side effects that you need to watch out for, especially if you would be using them daily for the long term, as opposed to short periods during "flareups". In both cases, newer drugs, e.g. "second generation antihistamines" have fewer side effects. When speaking with the allergist I'd say something like "I need some relief but I am wary of using medications that may cause as many problems as they solve. What do you think is my safest option?" ...something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies