Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM

41 posts, read 51,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Everyone has different tastes and some people do not like the "world class" beers that you do.
For others it is the cost and since it isn't your money others are wasting why do you care?
Lol, you're just not reading.

As I have already pointed out numerous times, you can get good beer for a price that is not materially higher than crap beer.

And if you can't afford good beer, you either have a drinking problem, a money problem, or both.

And it's not just my opinion- about 10,000 people have done independent reviews of Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light on Rate Beer, and they are so bad it's nearly impossible to assign a score to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,955,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
There are truly world-class beers available for not a lot of money- I pay $7.99 a six-pack for Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery, which scores a 96 in independent reviews on Beer Advocate.

It just seems like a shame to waste perfectly good money on semi-fermented skunk **** flavored rice water, mass-marketed as a potable liquid by some mega-brewery.

Why do guys wear girl pants, do everything they can to be feminine and worry about what other people drink?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:29 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,255,044 times
Quote:
Lol, you're just not reading.

As I have already pointed out numerous times, you can get good beer for a price that is not materially higher than crap beer.

And if you can't afford good beer, you either have a drinking problem, a money problem, or both.

And it's not just my opinion- about 10,000 people have done independent reviews of Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light on Rate Beer, and they are so bad it's nearly impossible to assign a score to them.

I fixed one line: "...about 10,000 people that pre-determined they didn't like American Light Lagers have done independent reviews..."

Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM

11,280 posts, read 11,050,318 times
I saw this thread, and as a beer drinker, I just had to respond.

EVERY beer has it's place. Many people call me a beer snob, but I drink all kinds. There are times when I just want to guzzle cheap beer, such as while at a BBQ with friends, or while playing cards, or on a hot day after mowing the lawn. It hits the spot, quenches the thirst, and kicks you down a nice buzz.

Then, there are times when I prefer a good craft brew. Nothing touches a good pint of Pliny, Ruination, Racer 5, Double Jack, Palate Wrecker, Workhorse, ect.... The first couple pints are incredible. But I can't drink these like I do the cheap beers. Often times I'll start with a bomber of one of these, and then switch over to a macro if I'm still in the mood for more.

I've got buddies that slam nothing but Beast or Nattie Ice all day and think that the micros are disgusting tasting. To each their own I guess. I keep an open mind, and believe that ALL beers serve a wonderful purpose.

Don't hate - Partake!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
Quote:
And you are free to take your own advice.
I'm not the one pontificating about what types of beer people drink.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
Quote:
See, that's my point. Actual beer, good beer, is readily available for prices not materially higher than that of crap beer. It would be like you walking into a Ford dealership, and telling the salesman that you REALLY like driving, and he tells you today is your lucky day, because the 662-horsepower Supercharged Shelby GT500 is on sale today for the same price as the base-model auto-trans Fiesta 5-door hatchback destined for the rental car fleet- and you choose the Fiesta.

Just out of curiosity, what "micro brew" is it that you prefer "a Bud" over?

And as MJ7 pointed out above, nobody is "bashing" you. We're talking about beer, not your anatomy. You're probably a swell human being, regardless of what you choose to drink.

"Good beer" to you may not be good beer to me. That Shelby GT may be just the ticket for you, but I'd want the F350 diesel dully. The salesman can tell me the Shelby is more fun, worth more, etc., etc., but it's simply not to my taste. My point is that most micro beers I've tried, I've not liked.

Which ones do I prefer Bud over? I can't give you the names. If I don't like it, I don't remember the name. There's a micro brewery in town that I've gone to a couple times. My wife and I enjoy beer and thought we'd enjoy the food, brew and atmosphere. Alas, the food and atmosphere are good, but we've tried all their beers, and our choice was "which one do you dislike the least?"

The best beer I've ever tasted was Schmidt Special Import. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it in years. Personally, I like Coors, but since my wife won't drink it, I quit buying it. I think someone posted up topic that it's what we get used to. I'd agree with that 100%. Years ago I enjoyed dark ales but no longer.

The topic of the thread and the way the question was worded seems to suggest that there's something wrong with people who prefer the major beer brands over the OP's favorites. I disagree with that premise. We all have different tastes in food and drink. I might add, those tastes often change many times over the years. I've lost my sense of smell, and when that happened my tastes in most food and drink changed immediately, especially in wines where it's all in the fragrance.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Sorry to disappoint you, but I drink crap beer because I like it.

I have tasted every manner of "craft" beer out there and it all tastes like it is spoiled to me. I prefer pilsner to wheats or ales and I have yet to find a single brewery that comes up with something light and sweet and tasty. If you can recommend one, I'll be glad to give it a try. But until then, I'll stick with my Milwaukee's Best, thank you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM

11,280 posts, read 11,050,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blansten View Post
Milwaukie's Best is not really a Pilsner. It is an Adjunct Lager, which means that it is made largely with cheaper adjunct cereal grains, such as rice and corn. It scores a solid 47 ("awful") in independent reviews on Beer Advocate:

Milwaukee's Best Premium | Miller Brewing Co. | Milwaukee, WI | BeerAdvocate
You come off as somewhat of an arrogant jerk, and that's really sad because I think you have a pretty good taste in brews. But, you know what? Beer Advocate is a site that is designed to promote craft beer. It has a very strong bias against macro's, so it is not fair to toss info like that up. I visit the site quite often, because I like craft beer, and many of my choices are based off of their reviews. It is not designed to be used as a tool to mock people who like something different than you. And I got a newsflash for you. You mentioned Black Butte Porter earlier. Deshutes is what is considered a "mass" brewer of micro style ales, much like Pyramid is. You can find it in mass volume in ANY store you enter. They may make certain small batch seasonals, but BBP is not one of them. So, you're still drinking a brew that is mass produced. If you were really a craft beer guy, you would look for brews that are from small batch breweries that are so small, nobody's done a review yet on their beers. I found two just last week.

Try to be nicer to people for a change. You're acting like an ugly troll.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 PM

5,511 posts, read 3,943,972 times
IPAs are to me what porters and stouts appear to be to you, Gurn Blanston/Blansten. I don't understand people who continue to drink the Budweisers of the world, either, but as long as Southern Tier keeps stocking my local convenience store with their IPA (the best non-imperial IPA around, IMO, although as a resident of upstate NY I haven't had the opportunity to try many of the most acclaimed IPAs/microbrews in general that are produced in CA/OR), I don't really care if 90% of those around me choose inferior options (I would care if 100% of those around me chose inferior options, as that would put Southern Tier/Ommegang/Great Lakes/etc out of business)

Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Hmmm - maybe drinking too much "good beer", ranked highly by Beer Advocate causes one to not be stoned and instead to be stened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages