Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Canadian club is a good value whiskey. I've noticed they've come out with a few more versions of late. Like the reserve and sherry cask. Haven't had them but they look interesting.

They have come out with a spiced whisky as well called "Dock 57". I bought a bottle and while it was good, it was too sweet for my tastes. I just opened a bottle of CC last night. I can't remember the name but I think it's Classic 12, but the bottle is different than I can find on the net or on their website.
I dunno, but I have a hangover right now. lol

You should give their 8 year old, double matured "Sherry Cask" a shot if you can find it.

A couple other Canadian whiskies that aren't "worldly" like CC and Crown Royal (if you can even get your hands on them) are Alberta Premium, 40 Creek, and Collingwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,683,643 times
I just bought a bottle of the rittenhouse rye. This is quite good stuff. Especially for about $20. It is well balanced and doesn't have quite the heavy spice as some other ryes. I think that this must be around 51% rye which is the minimum by law to be called rye. It's almost like a good bourbon with an extra helping of rye in it. Really tasty and a good value too.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,811,137 times
VO. From a shot glass followed by an Old Style chaser; preferably the Old Style poured from a bottle into one of those little beer glasses popular in Midwestern taverns.

Or drink the VO directly from a half-dog bottle kept in the inside breast pocket of one's Carhartt coat.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,621,026 times
Quote:
Everything whiskey here. What whiskies do you like? Which don't you enjoy? What are some great value picks? Favorites? Been to a distillery before?

I have been reading the whisky advocate blog and they have been giving out their annual awards including best america, canadian, irish, speyside, islay, etc.. Give it a gander:

Whisky Advocate Blog

I have had the blue hanger and it's great (best malt blend). Cheers.
OK, here goes...

American whiskey -

Like: Maker's Mark

Don't like: Jack Daniel's

Scotch -

Like: Cragganmore, JW Black Label, Macallan

Don't like: Chivas, JW Red Label

Canadian -

Like: Tangle Ridge

Don't like: Canadian Mist

Irish -

Like: Black Bush

Don't like: Tullamore Dew

Nothing against any of my dislikes. I know lots of folks buy and enjoy them. Just my taste, is all.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,234,458 times
I bought a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch 12 year tonight. I really enjoyed it - very smooth and vanilla tones. For $22, it was a great deal.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I bought a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch 12 year tonight. I really enjoyed it - very smooth and vanilla tones. For $22, it was a great deal.
Yeah Elijah Craig 12-year-old is one of the best bourbons out there. Especially for 22 bucks. Actually had the 18-year-old too and the 12-year-old is better and much much cheaper. I think they're coming out with a 20-year-old version of Elijah craig but that's going to be over hundred dollars. I definitely would stick with the 12-year-old.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
OK, here goes...

American whiskey -

Like: Maker's Mark

Don't like: Jack Daniel's

Scotch -

Like: Cragganmore, JW Black Label, Macallan

Don't like: Chivas, JW Red Label

Canadian -

Like: Tangle Ridge

Don't like: Canadian Mist

Irish -

Like: Black Bush

Don't like: Tullamore Dew

Nothing against any of my dislikes. I know lots of folks buy and enjoy them. Just my taste, is all.
Johnny Walker Black is pretty good if you get a chance check out the Johnny Walker Green label. It's a vatted malt that's aged for at least 15 years its a pretty good deal too.

I've never heard of tangled ridge Canadian whiskey. I'll check it out though.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,621,026 times
Quote:
Johnny Walker Black is pretty good if you get a chance check out the Johnny Walker Green label. It's a vatted malt that's aged for at least 15 years its a pretty good deal too.
I've had the JW Gold and still prefer the Black. I'll have to try the green.

Quote:
I've never heard of tangled ridge Canadian whiskey. I'll check it out though.
You won't find Tangle Ridge in every liquor store, but it's the best Cannuck I've tasted.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,516,641 times
Quote:
I always liked the term vatted malt (meaning a blend of two or more malt whiskys that has not been diluted with grain alcohol) but alas, by law it has now been replaced in Scotland by the term Blended Malt.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I always liked the term vatted malt (meaning a blend of two or more malt whiskys that has not been diluted with grain alcohol) but alas, by law it has now been replaced in Scotland by the term Blended Malt.
True but that's for the SWA. As customers we can call it what we want. And I like vatted malt. Malt blend is too closely confused with a blended malt which contains grain and single malts. Seems a bit silly to put that confusion into the marketplace. I think Compass Box had a major beef about the term being changed too since they do a lot of vatted, yes vatted malts. I still call it the Sears Tower too...some things are hard to call by another name. Maybe Sheakespeare thought a rose by another name would smell just as sweet but I'd say if you called it a pig instead it might just loose some of its rosey luster. That's my two cents.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-20-2013 at 12:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages