Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 10:24 PM

46 posts, read 53,667 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was just accepted into a two-year grad program at UNM as an out-of-state student, and several other programs as well. I think I could get a decent education at any of them, but I know ABQ well because my parents lived there for 10 years, and I like it well enough - especially outdoor rec options it provides. Plus, a friend in Albuquerque has offered to let me rent her mother-in-law apartment for super cheap and that would help defray the costs of the first year nonresident tuition. I have lived in Seattle a long time and, frankly, I'd welcome a break from the dark and rainy winters of the PNW. I will be renting out my condo in Seattle regardless of which school I choose to attend.

Nonresident tuition at UNM is almost 3x that of resident tuition, but when I looked into UNM's explanation of its residency rules, it sounded like I might be able to obtain residency status for my second year of school. Does anyone know it that's true? It sounded like as long as I get a NM driver's license, NM plates, and rent in ABQ for a year I would become a resident by the second year.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 02:19 AM

312 posts, read 279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suelli5 View Post
... It sounded like as long as I get a NM driver's license, NM plates, and rent in ABQ for a year I would become a resident by the second year.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info!
That's how it went for my son, who did all that -- this was about 3 years ago but maybe things have changed. We paid out-of-state tuition for about a year.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,950,615 times
UNM
Residency Information
Residency Tuition Petition | Other Residency Forms

Quote:
How do you establish New Mexico residency for tuition purposes?

In general, you must meet the following basic requirements:

U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency
The12-Month Consecutive Presence Requirement: You must physically reside in New Mexico for the 12 months immediately preceding the term in which you request resident classification. You cannot begin to establish the 12-month physical presence requirement until your 18th birthday.
The Financial Independence Requirement: If you are under the age of 23 at the time you apply for residency, you must be financially independent (i.e. not claimed on the Federal income tax return for the previous tax year) of parents or legal guardian who are not residents of New Mexico.
The Written Declaration of Intent Requirement: You must sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in any other state and to establish residency in New Mexico.
The Overt Acts Requirement: New Mexico requires the completion of several overt acts to support your written declaration of intent to become a resident for tuition purposes.
The entire page is at: https://registrar.unm.edu/residency/index.html

Old 03-23-2019, 10:35 PM

480 posts, read 320,322 times
The rules seem pretty clearcut. Not very difficult to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque