Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 PM

91 posts, read 142,174 times

Advertisements

The city owns the land, but what to do with such a large structure. I know there are several other buildings that are there, but what should go there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 02:15 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,261 times
There have been many ideas floated over the years - large indoor market, rec area, mixed use shopping and residential. However, I'm pretty sure reigns have been given over to a development corp based in LA, that will work with the city to redevelop the space.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,624 times
They make excellent movie sets/props.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
There have been many ideas floated over the years - large indoor market, rec area, mixed use shopping and residential. However, I'm pretty sure reigns have been given over to a development corp based in LA, that will work with the city to redevelop the space.

I like the idea of a indoor market. The current market in the park needs an indoor space.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevationnation View Post
The city owns the land, but what to do with such a large structure. I know there are several other buildings that are there, but what should go there?
Continue on with the existing plan....

FROM: Albuquerque Rail Yards Redevelopment — City of Albuquerque
Quote:
Rail Yards Master Plan Process

The City and Samitaur Constructs, Master Developer of the Rail Yards, are pleased to announce the development of a Master Plan to guide the redevelopment of the City-owned Rail Yards site in Barelas. Information about upcoming meetings to seek input on the Master Plan and present drafts of the Master Plan is provided below.
Quote:
Redevelopment of Albuquerque Rail Yard Planned (from the Wheels Museum website)

Historic Barelas railroad yards to undergo revitalization. Work space, restaurants, and
performance venues planned, Mayor Richard J. Berry and City Council Isaac Benton announce.

Rich

Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM

350 posts, read 768,987 times
This is happening now. Email [LEFT][/LEFT]pmorris@cabq.gov to get on the listserv for all things railyard related. The first draft of the "master plan" is being unveiled at a community meeting Oct. 25 (location TBD). More info: http://www.cabq.gov/council/council/projects/current-projects/albuquerque-rail-yards-redevelopment

Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 PM

295 posts, read 592,078 times
The city should, and could do something amazing with the land. Like building shops, and condos to go along with it. Like what Denver is doing to LoDo, Get the area thriving! But it will be anything but that, a museum is not what that area needs.

This is Albuquerque, I guess I'm used to the nimby attitudes anyway.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM

350 posts, read 768,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
The city should, and could do something amazing with the land. Like building shops, and condos to go along with it. Like what Denver is doing to LoDo, Get the area thriving! But it will be anything but that, a museum is not what that area needs.

This is Albuquerque, I guess I'm used to the nimby attitudes anyway.
The Wheels Museum has been open for a while. The draft plans we have now seem to point toward development similar to what you're talking about. Lots of mixed-use space with retail, housing, food, etc. They're also considering opening areas of the rail yards to the public during the planning and early construction phases for things like grower's markets.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
The Wheels Museum has been open for a while. The draft plans we have now seem to point toward development similar to what you're talking about. Lots of mixed-use space with retail, housing, food, etc. They're also considering opening areas of the rail yards to the public during the planning and early construction phases for things like grower's markets.

I think the Grower's Market would be amazing. Currently it is in a park and it would be great to have it indoors. It would also be cool if they expanded it to include more finished goods, meats, etc. Similar to the Public Market in Seattle.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,261 times
^ Agreed, a large market is really good idea for that space. I think the weekend flea market at the fairgrounds should be combined with the downtown growers market and moved into that space - a sort of bazaar where you could buy anything. With the industrial backdrop and the lighting with those huge windows, it would be amazing, and a far better venue than where those events are currently held.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque