Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 01:48 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
Just went into NYC Health Department Chat. I was told to check back on January 15th as there is no current policy / request form for adoptees.
Thanks for posting--- after my post yesterday I went to their website and sent them a question but haven't heard back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 01:49 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
NY Adoptee rights posted on FB

Quote:
There are many questions coming in regarding the implementation of #S3419. We have been given limited information from our DOH contacts—as others may have received—that the state and city are both “diligently” working on the application forms but such forms are not yet available or fully developed. We have been advised that there will be a webinar with all applicable agencies sometime during the week of 1/6/20 to help make the process more efficient.

Unfortunately, they’ve not let us know what the actual procedure will be. We are not anticipating much more information to be released to us before January 15th. If we find out more we will be sure to let everyone know.

Hang in there folks.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the link, I can access that information even without a FB account. I think I'll just wait until well after Jan. 15, since there are so many others who have a more urgent need for that document than I do, people who haven't been able to find their birth families. I can wait since I already found mine, so I don't want to delay it for other people. For me it would just be a curiosity.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:47 AM

Latest I found was this from NY Adoptee Rights Coalition:

"Where To Apply":

https://nyadopteerights.org/where-to-apply/

If born in one of the five boroughs of NYC:

New York City Department of Health
Since you were born in one of the five boroughs of New York City, you must apply for a copy of the original birth certificate with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

The city currently has stated that the application will be available on January 15, 2020, and will be accepted by mail. Online submission of applications will be available later in the year.

If born outside the five boroughs:

New York State Department of Health
Since you were born in New York but not in one of the five boroughs of New York City, you must apply for a copy of the original birth certificate with the New York State Department of Health. More information is here, including a FAQ that should answer additional questions.

Once the application is available on January 15, you will be strongly encouraged to apply for it online through VitalChek and pay by credit card. Paper forms that are mailed in or dropped off at the state department of health will likely take much longer to process, resulting in a longer wait time for you to receive the OBC.

The application will be available on January 15, 2020, and we will post a link to it here once it is available. While you may be able to apply in person to local registrars (other than New York City), those local offices may not have the information required to issue an original birth certificate.

I found this on the NYC DOH website:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/servic...tificates.page

Starting on January 15, people who were born in New York City and then adopted will be able to order their pre-adoption birth certificate by mail. We will also start taking orders online later in the year.

Check back on this webpage on January 15 for more information on how you can get your pre-adoption birth certificate.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:24 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Good for New York. I can't imagine a worse violation of a persons rights that to stripe them completely of their identity.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:37 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Good for New York. I can't imagine a worse violation of a persons rights that to stripe them completely of their identity.
I agree.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I can't imagine anyone having a problem with this. We have 2 adult, adopted children and I have always encouraged them to seek out their biological family. For whatever reason they have chosen not to, but they should always be given the choice. I understand why it used to be thought as a bad idea, but times do change. I also know some searches have turned out to be a bad choice, but this should be the decision a young adult makes, knowing not all searches turn out well. I will add one thing, our kids were adopted through the LOs Angeles bureau of adoptions and we were given quite a bit of background information on the parents that we were able to pass on to them. This is not the same as an open record but it did help the kids have some identity in the world.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:05 PM

The NYC form (to mail in) is already available on the NYC Health Dept. website linked above, a day early.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:13 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The NYC form (to mail in) is already available on the NYC Health Dept. website linked above, a day early.
Posting the link for those that do not see the link due to how many posts you have showing per page.

Order a Birth Certificate. Link to the application PDF. There is also a link to order a birth certificate online which will be available to people at a later date. Pre-adoption birth certificates are sealed records and require additional processing time. It will take 12 to 16 weeks to complete the request.

You can also see Order a Pre-adoption Birth Certificate where you'll see things you can click on to get more information.

I was adopted, or I placed a child for adoption, or I am the biological sibling of an adopted person and I would like to learn more about my birth family. Where can I find more information?

Who can order a pre-adoption long-form birth certificate?

To order a copy of a pre-adoption long-form birth certificate, what do I need to submit and what is the fee?

What will I receive when I request a pre-adoption long-form birth certificate?

How long will it take to process the request?

How do I order a pre-adoption birth certificate of someone who is deceased?

How can I submit my request?

I am an attorney retained by an entitled party, and I need to order a pre-adoption long-form birth certificate for a client. How can I order the certificate?

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-16-2020 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-17-2020, 08:15 AM

82 posts, read 78,478 times
We're not supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth.

It still BS that NYC does not allow online ordering for OBCs. You can only order by regular mail. That means 12-16 week processing, assuming they don't claim it can't be found. NYS allows online ordering, but NYC is still stuck in the 19th century?

The form must also be notarized. I know plenty of notaries - banks I deal with, neighbors, etc. I don't like the idea of sharing this information with any of those people.

NYC is making this more difficult than it needs to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption