Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,808,582 times

Advertisements

Scenario is an exempt employee (i.e. salaried) goes to a conference. They fly out on a Sunday. There are a couple of things happening on that Sunday (opening reception and such) but nothing that is required, they just get there to be settled and ready for the events that start on Monday.

Then the employee goes to their manager and asks if they are able to take a "comp day" (day off without using the time accrued in their Time Off bank) since they travelled for work on that Sunday.

Is that legit? Should the employee get a comp day for that Sunday? Is your opinion different if the employee is non-exempt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
My husband never got paid for "travel days".
Do you normally work on Sunday?

Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

9,425 posts, read 8,401,916 times
I think the employee is being petty. Flying out Sunday for a conference that starts Monday morning isn't necessarily considered "work", you're just sitting on a plane for a period of time. If you're going to get into that game, then why not allow all employees comp time for all time traveling to and from work? It's the same concept. So it took me an hour to get to work today due to heavy traffic, I'm leaving an hour early to make up for that hour spent in traffic. Imagine trying to keep track of that?

Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

15,496 posts, read 7,538,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Scenario is an exempt employee (i.e. salaried) goes to a conference. They fly out on a Sunday. There are a couple of things happening on that Sunday (opening reception and such) but nothing that is required, they just get there to be settled and ready for the events that start on Monday.

Then the employee goes to their manager and asks if they are able to take a "comp day" (day off without using the time accrued in their Time Off bank) since they travelled for work on that Sunday.

Is that legit? Should the employee get a comp day for that Sunday? Is your opinion different if the employee is non-exempt?
For an exempt employee, it would be nice of the manager to grant a comp day, but it's not legally required. For a non-exempt employee, overtime pay would likely be required if the total hours for the week exceeded the statutory number of hours they are subject to. Federal law requires overtime pay after 40 hours in a week. California requires overtime for more than 8 hours in a day as well as for over 40 per week or for working 7 days in a row.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
An hourly employee would be paid for travel time.

A salary person would get a half day or full day of comp time, depending on the circumstances.

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I think the employee is being petty. Flying out Sunday for a conference that starts Monday morning isn't necessarily considered "work", you're just sitting on a plane for a period of time. If you're going to get into that game, then why not allow all employees comp time for all time traveling to and from work? It's the same concept. So it took me an hour to get to work today due to heavy traffic, I'm leaving an hour early to make up for that hour spent in traffic. Imagine trying to keep track of that?
Sunday is not a normal work day. If you're flying somewhere, that time is not yours to use as you please; it's now business time. I know a lot of people think going to a conference or to a business meeting is like jetting off for vacation somewhere, but a mix of boredom in the room and boredom in the meeting. But I know people, who never travel for work by the way, that think even paying for meals is wrong "because you have to eat at home anyway." Never mind that restaurant meal is way, way, way more expensive that eating at home.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,632 posts, read 81,333,263 times
I flew from Seattle to Las Vegas every April for 12 years for a week-long business conference, and I am exempt. I was paid for my travel time because I flew on Mondays, returned on Fridays, both work days and my travel was for work. If someone chose to fly there on the weekend it was their choice, usually to have fun before the conference, so exempt or not they did not get pay nor comp time for the travel.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Sunday is not a normal work day. If you're flying somewhere, that time is not yours to use as you please; it's now business time. I know a lot of people think going to a conference or to a business meeting is like jetting off for vacation somewhere, but a mix of boredom in the room and boredom in the meeting. But I know people, who never travel for work by the way, that think even paying for meals is wrong "because you have to eat at home anyway." Never mind that restaurant meal is way, way, way more expensive that eating at home.
Well okay then how about my example of travel time to and from work every day? 5:01pm is not a normal work time for me, why should I not get comped for that time as well?

What about sales or client service people who work on salary/commission who travel extensively, often times during off hours and weekends? Are you really going to try and grant them PTO time every time they travel off hours?

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I flew from Seattle to Las Vegas every April for 12 years for a week-long business conference, and I am exempt. I was paid for my travel time because I flew on Mondays, returned on Fridays, both work days and my travel was for work. If someone chose to fly there on the weekend it was their choice, usually to have fun before the conference, so exempt or not they did not get pay nor comp time for the travel.
But how would that work if the conference starts very early on Monday a.m. and someone is flying cross country? It would not be possible for them to fly in Monday before 8am to make the conference on time. They don't really have a choice necessarily.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

23,576 posts, read 24,102,669 times
I traveled for years on Saturday (returning from a week of business somewhere) or on Sunday (traveling out for business somewhere, same situation as the OP described) and was never “officially” provided a “comp day.”

I did, however, mention to my manager that I would take time off when times were slack, due to long travel days. On “gentleman’s agreement” type terms. My managers never had any issues with that.

I suggest speaking to your manager about it and get his/her feedback. Exempt employees are not compensated by hours worked, but by the value they provide to the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment