Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 08:08 PM

612 posts, read 1,512,610 times

Advertisements

I work in tech and my colleague and I work on same project as developers but the project needs to be implemented on different platforms (eg: creating a website for desktop and mobile). Functionality has to be same on both.

In a meeting we come to a conclusion on the design, but later colleague goes and privately talks to designers and other team members and gets it changed to her liking. I don't have a problem with that if it is happening for user interaction improvement and I don't mind colleague taking credit for it since it's their idea, but the decision made in that discussion never reaches to me. This results into difference in products developed, additional bugs against me and more rework that I have to do eventually. Also affects my performance review rating.

I confronted my colleague to not hide information, has been conveyed to other team members too to do a group chat, have complained to my boss and to skip as well but nothing has helped so far. My bosses talked to the colleague and others once, but after a few weeks they again continued doing the same and my bosses bounced back on me, told me I have an ego to not accept that there are defects in my work and I have an ego and told me to deal with it. I told them it's affecting the work and I have nothing personal against my work colleagues. Thing is that my colleague has been working with my bosses for last 12 years and I joined the company 3-4 years back, but we both are on same level.

Tech industry is worst right now due to recession and no jobs, so not sure how to handle this. I am tired, frustrated and losing interest in my job which I used to love and have worked overtime in past out of my own interest. The more I try to fix it, the more my bosses go against me and make fun of me behind my back including that coworker and the designer they collaborate with.

Have you ever encountered such colleagues? And how do you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 09:07 PM

35,053 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I dealt with the same thing about eight years ago.

I went from a fintech company that was investment banking oriented to a retail bank that won all these "best place to work" awards in the industry and in the metro in which it was headquartered. On paper, the role was perfect.

In reality, the person in the role refused to share information pertinent to the role. She wrote tons of critical ops processes. There was no documentation because she was the only person who worked in that role for any significant length of time since the founder started the company. She was an original hire. Our director was close with the founder.

We did get a new CIO between when I started and when I quit. He agreed I didn't get a fair shake, but at that point, I was already so soured on the experience that I told him I'd just rather move on.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I dealt with the same thing about eight years ago.

I went from a fintech company that was investment banking oriented to a retail bank that won all these "best place to work" awards in the industry and in the metro in which it was headquartered. On paper, the role was perfect.

In reality, the person in the role refused to share information pertinent to the role. She wrote tons of critical ops processes. There was no documentation because she was the only person who worked in that role for any significant length of time since the founder started the company. She was an original hire. Our director was close with the founder.

We did get a new CIO between when I started and when I quit. He agreed I didn't get a fair shake, but at that point, I was already so soured on the experience that I told him I'd just rather move on.
Thanks for sharing!

Honestly even I would like to move on rather than fighting and wasting my energy, but we all know what's going on in tech these days (layoffs). I am feeling not valued over here now and have lost trust in everyone including my bosses. My pay is also below market rate but I stay quiet thinking I am atleast getting paid unlike others in tech who had to go through layoffs and still unable to find jobs since months.

Company HR's are useless since they always go with what bosses have to say and my skip manager lies a lot. In past he even blocked my promotion twice and eventually he promoted me to retain me, but this favorite colleague of his (who is withholding info) went and told him that I shouldn't have been promoted. This colleague was promoted along with me, but they still had problems with my promotion.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:11 PM

35,053 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Honestly even I would like to move on rather than fighting and wasting my energy, but we all know what's going on in tech these days (layoffs). I am feeling not valued over here now and have lost trust in everyone including my bosses. My pay is also below market rate but I stay quiet thinking I am atleast getting paid unlike others in tech who had to go through layoffs and still unable to find jobs since months.

Company HR's are useless since they always go with what bosses have to say and my skip manager lies a lot. In past he even blocked my promotion twice and eventually he promoted me to retain me, but this favorite colleague of his (who is withholding info) went and told him that I shouldn't have been promoted. This colleague was promoted along with me, but they still had problems with my promotion.
All you can do in this case is look elsewhere. Try to make the best of what you have right now. Stockpile cash. Prepare to be fired or RIF'd when it's convenient for the company.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:01 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Sounds like the other colleague is more of a go-getter, she's the one who's setting up meetings and figuring out how to remedy these "bugs" you claim to be encountering. While I agree she should be sharing information, it falls onto YOU, not her, to create a functioning site and if she's doing so by meeting with other people then why aren't you as well?

I do not work in tech but have colleagues who do the same work as I do and if they are going above and beyond to figure things out that I haven't yet I don't get upset and start complaining to them or to higher ups, but that's just me.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:31 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Most of us have probably worked in a situation like that at some time or another. One time we had a new hire. He was actually 2 levels below me -- I was his supervisor's supervisor. Yet for some reason senior management was in absolute love with this guy. His performance was mediocre, below that of typical new hires yet management would sing his praises in staff meetings and he won both employee of the month and year during his first year at work.

One day in staff meeting, he flat out lied to our director about his supervisor. The director immediately, in the staff meeting, took what he said as true and jumped down his supervisor's throat. When I defended the supervisor to the director and pointed out the employee was lying to him, the director merely shrugged it off.

The only way I solved the problem was getting him transferred to another division as a career enhancement. The other division was wondering why I was willing to let them have such a "star" employee -- until he started throwing them under the bus.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:42 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Most of us have probably worked in a situation like that at some time or another. One time we had a new hire. He was actually 2 levels below me -- I was his supervisor's supervisor. Yet for some reason senior management was in absolute love with this guy. His performance was mediocre, below that of typical new hires yet management would sing his praises in staff meetings and he won both employee of the month and year during his first year at work.

One day in staff meeting, he flat out lied to our director about his supervisor. The director immediately, in the staff meeting, took what he said as true and jumped down his supervisor's throat. When I defended the supervisor to the director and pointed out the employee was lying to him, the director merely shrugged it off.

The only way I solved the problem was getting him transferred to another division as a career enhancement. The other division was wondering why I was willing to let them have such a "star" employee -- until he started throwing them under the bus.
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine promotes the crazy colleague so she no longer has to deal with him.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Sounds like the other colleague is more of a go-getter, she's the one who's setting up meetings and figuring out how to remedy these "bugs" you claim to be encountering. While I agree she should be sharing information, it falls onto YOU, not her, to create a functioning site and if she's doing so by meeting with other people then why aren't you as well?

I do not work in tech but have colleagues who do the same work as I do and if they are going above and beyond to figure things out that I haven't yet I don't get upset and start complaining to them or to higher ups, but that's just me.
Nowhere have I mentioned that I don't set up the meetings. I do schedule official meetings and invite her to it when I have ideas. But she instead goes and talks to others one-to-one without involving me. Also those are not bugs because of which she is going and talking to others. It's changing the design based on her preference which is fine and I don't have a problem with it as long as it is benefitting end users, but not sharing the new design with me is the problem. I also don't have a personal problem with any of them, but it's affecting my work and eventually affecting the business as well which my bosses doesn't seem to get. We both are at same levels/positions (senior) on the career ladder.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

I have experienced something like this too, but it didn't affect me much since I always have trail of proofs to support me. Peers lying to managers about you. We have a new hire who joined couple of years back and he wants to jump the ladder quickly which I see is common in tech. He has lied about senior engineers to my managers and I did defend the senior engineers. He has even bullied them in front of the entire team multiple times which my manager did take a note of.

Old 03-19-2024, 12:03 PM

3,215 posts, read 1,601,675 times
I only worked in shops that mainly used what some would call “big process” techniques.

There were written and approved requirements, something everyone could look at. Changes to the requirements had to be approved by the stakeholders, the folks paying the bill. No features could be added, removed, or changed without approval.

Two levels of independent test teams, and the end users had to base their acceptance of the software on how well it met the written requirements.

Is there no official record of what is being asked to be built?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment