Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 AM

257 posts, read 609,985 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am not a resident of WV but I vacationed in Elkins. It seems to be the perfect mountain getaway. I really am thinking of moving there because of the nice people, scenery and small town lifestyle. But I noticed to the west side of Elkins what looks to be a mountain top removal site or some sort of excavating. I'm worried that this area will be stripped of its mountains. It's not that I wouldn't move there but it's sad to see such a perfect town's scenery be taken away. I even have a picture of it, I took the picture coming into Elkins from the east on Rt.33 in Bowden area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times
That actually is just a rock quarry, it is owned by J.F. Allen company and much of the rock was used for area highway construction. Like you, I'm not too fond of this scenery, but luckily you can't see this landscape scar much unless you're looking from the Tygart Valley Mall Complex or when driving by on Corridor H.

There isn't any substantial amount of coal in the area so I wouldn't worry about any mountain top removal in the area. Opposition to sites like this has risen consistently in recent years. There was another proposed quarry east of Elkins in Bowden near my home, and it literally has no chance of ever coming to be.

With Elkins becoming more and more tourist and aesthetics oriented, I don't think anything that would jeopardize the beauty of the area would ever happen. Regardless, Elkins and Randolph County are still beautiful places to live, work, and play

Old 06-21-2010, 04:57 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,788 times
I fly over Herd's part of WV almost daily. I haven't seen any coal mines north of Summersville. For that matter there aren't any where near the number of mountaintop mines you would think. There are a few between Beckley and Charleston, and they're dotted around Wyoming / Mercer/Mcdowell/Boone counties.

BTW Cody- There is a nice lake about 20 miles west of the Buchannon airport. It has beautiful, huge log homes around it. Any idea what the name of it is? Nothing comes up on my GPS...

Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
I fly over Herd's part of WV almost daily. I haven't seen any coal mines north of Summersville. For that matter there aren't any where near the number of mountaintop mines you would think. There are a few between Beckley and Charleston, and they're dotted around Wyoming / Mercer/Mcdowell/Boone counties.

BTW Cody- There is a nice lake about 20 miles west of the Buchannon airport. It has beautiful, huge log homes around it. Any idea what the name of it is? Nothing comes up on my GPS...
Stonewall Jackson Lake It is very beautiful indeed. It is near Weston in Lewis County... and you're right, it's about 20 or so miles from Buckhannon.

They're will also be a new lake in southern Randolph county in a few years.. about half an hour south of Elkins near Huttonsville. The lake will provide water for most Randolph County towns and Elkins in times of an emergency or drought well providing recreational activities...

Here is a link for Stonewall Jackson.

West Virginia Resorts: Stonewall Jackson Resort Roanoke WV Morgantown Clarksburg Fairmont state park lake FBI area pet friendly luxury hotels lodges spas conferences centers suites romantic family golf vacations getaways packages outdoor weddings mee

Old 06-23-2010, 02:10 PM

Sounds good, thanks for the answers too. I wish southern WV the best of luck with their environment. I understand people need jobs, ect but I hope they take care of the land best as possible. I love WV

Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Sounds good, thanks for the answers too. I wish southern WV the best of luck with their environment. I understand people need jobs, ect but I hope they take care of the land best as possible. I love WV
No problem, glad I could help. Elkins isn't located in the southern part of the state though. It would be in the north eastern / north central region of West Virginia.

I'm lucky to have grown up in an area that hasn't been ravaged by mtn top removal, where they fill in valleys and destroy the environment. While the area never had a significant coal industry with the above average wage / life threatening jobs, it is now paying great dividends in the Elkins region with the tourism industry continually adding jobs and helping to expand the tax base... while coal mining in WV continues to shrink its workforce while systematically ruining the environment. Which wouldn't have been possible if the coal corporations would have been in the area. Who wants to visit and live/work/shop/play in a wasteland?

Old 06-25-2010, 04:04 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Ahhh, the old mountaintop removal debate....

Old 08-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
No problem, glad I could help. Elkins isn't located in the southern part of the state though. It would be in the north eastern / north central region of West Virginia.

I'm lucky to have grown up in an area that hasn't been ravaged by mtn top removal, where they fill in valleys and destroy the environment. While the area never had a significant coal industry with the above average wage / life threatening jobs, it is now paying great dividends in the Elkins region with the tourism industry continually adding jobs and helping to expand the tax base... while coal mining in WV continues to shrink its workforce while systematically ruining the environment. Which wouldn't have been possible if the coal corporations would have been in the area. Who wants to visit and live/work/shop/play in a wasteland?
Yeah, lol I knew that, just wanted to wish Southern WV's environment some luck while knowing northern WV is pretty much safe.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Yeah, lol I knew that, just wanted to wish Southern WV's environment some luck while knowing northern WV is pretty much safe.
Oh I know.. I fly out of Huntington all the time... just yesterday actually. I always fly to the south usually so I get a pretty good view of southern WV, western VA, and eastern KY. Looking out the windows, it's so depressing to look out and see the mountain tops just cut off and the sludge dams... ugh

Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Oh I know.. I fly out of Huntington all the time... just yesterday actually. I always fly to the south usually so I get a pretty good view of southern WV, western VA, and eastern KY. Looking out the windows, it's so depressing to look out and see the mountain tops just cut off and the sludge dams... ugh
Yeah it is. I mean I have mixed feelings. I know families are supported by RR's and Trucking and Manual Labor from the mountain top removal sites but its so terrible to the mountains and underground mining is dangerous. I wish we could go green with windmills all over USA but then what would happen to Southern WV families.

This is off topic and I will start a new thread about considering a move to Charleston, WV area vs the Bridgeport area of northern WV or even Elkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia