Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:21 PM

28 posts, read 269,447 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here live in Ojai,Ca?...If so, could you please tell me what it is like?
Is is very rural?...also, is there any local culture? art galleries, theatre, farmers markets? How does it fair as to cost of living?

Thanx for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 PM

98 posts, read 605,074 times
Hmmm...I think of Ojai as not just the City of Ojai proper but also the Ojai Valley, which includes the unicorporated communities of Mira Monte, Meiners Oaks, and Oak View. It's a semi-rural area with lots of orange and avocado orchards, and other agriculture, 4H and all that stuff. The city has local live theater, cultural events like Jazz in the Park, and is known for spas, golf and tennis tournaments. There is a movie theater in town and some nice, but expensive, dining. There are also quite a few events, such as the wine festival, held at Lake Casitas in the valley. The farmers' market is on Sundays, and there used to be one other day but not sure if that's still happening. Housing costs? Well, it's in southern California so it's expensive. Low end housing might be about $500,000. Average house, about $700,000. The City of Ojai does not permit franchises but there are some fast food places, Star Bucks, Rite Aid, Blockbuster, in Mira Monte. For most shopping needs we go into Ventura or Oxnard (Costco, Home Depot). But there is a great hardware store, where my husband spends lots of time.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:22 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsseasand View Post
Does anyone here live in Ojai,Ca?...If so, could you please tell me what it is like?
Is is very rural?...also, is there any local culture? art galleries, theatre, farmers markets? How does it fair as to cost of living?

Thanx for the info!
Start here: ojai news :: The Ojai Post :: blog, newspaper, events in Ojai, California.

Tons of natural beauty, engaged citizens, artists, writers, very hot in summer, one way in and out, traffic is a big concern. Great bike path all the way to the ocean.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM

26 posts, read 193,928 times
Can I pick your brain?
How bad is traffic exactly? I was born and raised in Oxnard and Ventura, so I know Ojai, but I've never lived there. Also, how hot do the summers get? In your opinion, what is the danger of wildfire to "suburban" areas and homes in Ojai/Oakview?
We have been considering Ojai as a compromise, because my husband wants to back to Ventura, but I am desperate for somplace with 4 real seasons, access to snow in the winter for my kids, the beauty you can't find in the city. It's location, nearby to Ventura and Santa Barbara would be ideal, and living in a smaller town is something we both want. How would you say the schools are? And what would be the very biggest downside, in your opinion, other than the fire danger? Are your homeowner's insurance rates sky-high?
What are the places to avoid, currently? I'd love some inside information from you!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Traffic - I've read other posts that mention Ojai as having a lot of traffic but I don't see it that way. I am lucky enough to live and work in the valley, and I rarely encounter anything I'd call real traffic. It does tend to back up a bit down in Casitas Springs but it's not bad.

Summers do get hot, especially in the east end of the valley, but normally we just have a hot spell (95 to 105) here and there during the summer. Last summer was horrendous, this summer was truly delightful.

We live in the middle of the valley and the only time we felt any possible threat from a wildfire was in 1985 I think, but of course the closer to the mountains you are, the more of a threat. Can't remember the loss of any houses due to wildfire, certainly not in the valley. And, no, our homeowner's insurance is not sky high.

Ojai, Meiners Oaks, and Mira Monte are all served by Ojai Unified Schools, and that district overall has a good reputation. In Oak View there is one elementary school and it is part of Ventura Unified. I would be too biased if I were to tell you what a fantastic school it is, so I won't.

Areas to stay away from? Parts of Casitas Springs, which isn't actually in the valley, are rather rough. Most of the valley is pretty decent overall.
IMHO the Ojai Valley is the nicest area in all of Ventura County, but again, it depends on what you like. I love that it's not crowded and that it is semi-rural. We have to drive to Ventura for any major shopping, but that's the only drawback, if you can call it that, to living here. Oh, ya, there is one more that probably wouldn't affect you at all, but affects us directly. There is no land to build on for under $260,000. So if you happen to be a one-at-a-time spec house builder then you are out of luck. Which means there is a fair chance we will be moving.

Otherwise, great place to raise kids, great place to be.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 PM

No clue as to why the post icon on my just-sent post was a sad face. Accidental.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:35 PM

42 posts, read 175,487 times
Hi, could anyone describe what the rental situation is like in Ojai, and where to look for the best deals and availability on rental housing? Also, what types of jobs are most plentiful there? I'm guessing resort work, holistic therapy, farm employment, education...? Is this place affordable for those whose incomes are under $50k?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 PM

110 posts, read 752,796 times
ojai is a wonderful rural, creative community- there are actually two ways out but if you depend on commuting to a job -- especially northbound, it can be unpredictable at times

Old 02-18-2009, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 24,671 times
Remember the Ortega Trail?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Highway 33!!!!!!!!!Great drive!!!! All the way up to highway 58 at Carrizo Plains. Great day trip!

Last edited by Capt. Dan; 02-19-2009 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: omission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County