Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,570 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone first time posting but have been reading the forums for awhile, glad to see a wealth of information and thanks for your help in advance...

I have a possible job offer in santa barbara but don't care to live in santa barbara..I was told a lot of guys live in ventura to avoid that situation however I am not 100% sold on ventura. I am currently from orange county (Irvine/Newport) and love it here, would love to stay however I need to do whats best for my situation..I am engaged and she would be able to transfer to a location up in thousand oaks so that is what is great.. but I am worried about how bad the commute would be from thousand oaks to santa barbara.. the good thing is the job requires only a 3 day work week, so I would only be driving 3 days a week, and every other week would be 4 days. I love the thousand oaks area and think it would be great to raise a family and have similar amenities to what I am use to now down here in orange county especially with low crime and no "riff raff". We are in our late 20's and not partiers/drinkers, don't care for a bar scene or night life. Our days consist of walking the dog and we actively workout at a crossfit gym which isnt hard to find, but we aren't into biking or trails or hiking. It's also great to have nice shopping choices within reasonable distance (i.e. trader joes, costco, sprouts) and a nice restaurant every now and then From the research i've done, Its about 55-65 miles one way, and thank goodness I have a hybrid so it won't bite me too hard in the gas expense fund. My last job was an hour drive one way but with absolutely no traffic, so it went pretty smooth. Would love to hear peoples thoughts who are familiar with the area and maybe do the drive themselves. Thanks again for any info and help and I look forward to hearing some responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
Not a bad commute, IMO. T.O. to Ventura is usually 35 minutes (+ or - where you are coming from/going to in those towns), traffic is almost always light. Nice views from the Conejo Grade and through Ventura. You'd be driving away from the sun, too.

From Ventura to S.B. is almost the same, but goes down to 2 lanes in places, so jams more common. But mostly good traffic, and very scenic to see the ocean each day.

Sometimes, return trips different. Both directions affected by leaving/coming hour, of course.

T.O. has all the amenities you have wished for, including a great residents-only library with lots of recorded books, perfect for its commuters

Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,570 times
thanks for the response. I am going to spend a day/weekend and really do some scouting to get a better idea. and also I will monitor sigalert during the day just to check traffic conditions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County