Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:41 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

This has maybe been discussed before, but I just read an article in Popular Science about the growing research into artificial meat. It said that artificial meat should soon be out on the market. While it doesn't mimic meat exactly, neither does a hot dog or McDonalds patty. If eaten with other things, it could closely pass as meat, yet no animal would be killed in the process and it is much more efficient than current animal raising techniques.

Would you try it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
There are already meat analogues that vegetarians and vegans eat, that are spiced and flavored and textured to resemble meat. I'll let them speak for themselves, but I don't see how an artificial meat would be any different from a meat analogue. They're two different names for the same thing: a non-meat substance that is designed to resemble meat.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
From what I know, I'm not opposed to it. Bit I don't want it.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There are already meat analogues that vegetarians and vegans eat, that are spiced and flavored and textured to resemble meat. I'll let them speak for themselves, but I don't see how an artificial meat would be any different from a meat analogue. They're two different names for the same thing: a non-meat substance that is designed to resemble meat.
I heard they are 3d printing lab grown cells, so the artificial meat would actually have the texture of meat. Flavor is trickier because that comes with the blood and fat. However, if you season your artificial meat and put it in a burrito, it could pass as meat.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 AM

584 posts, read 575,969 times
It's not something I would ever eat. I don't understand how any vegetarian or vegan could eat it, as it's made using stem cells and fetal calf serum. I know that once the process it started they could, in theory, continue without taking additional cells from living creatures. However, if there is big money involved, ethics will undoubtedly fall to the wayside. I've also read (sorry, I can't remember the article to link it) that other animal products like collagen and cochineal would be used to get the "right" texture and color.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Would I try it? Sure.
My entire opposition to eating meat centers around the torture of animals on factory farms and industrial feedlots.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:03 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
My view on science - Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

No Thank You!

Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
My view on science - Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

No Thank You!
im with you...

this lab meat is b.s. .. just cant see it selling,,, whats the country of origin sign going to say

"genetically modified burger, made in a petri dish"

no one will buy it..because of all the hyped up scares about meat

Old 11-02-2013, 04:27 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
If I was new to the veggie life, I might try it. But now, after a few years, I don't miss meat. Now, the texture of meat would probably make me gag, whether it was from an animal or grown in a lab.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
im with you...

this lab meat is b.s. .. just cant see it selling,,, whats the country of origin sign going to say

"genetically modified burger, made in a petri dish"

no one will buy it..because of all the hyped up scares about meat
That's probably what they said about test tube babies.
No one will buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food