Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 09:20 AM

50,503 posts, read 64,425,260 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this yet?

I just watched the first 2 episodes and it’s pretty entertaining. They choose three ugly houses in 5 sections of the country. In each episode, one of the three wins and it will compete for the ugliest house in America. That house will get a $150k remodel. So far, they have done the southeast and mid west. I suppose the remaining ones are NE, PNW, and SW.

The host is a woman I've seen somewhere before... but I can’t place where. Apart from the show, I’m enjoying her wardrobe. She is a very large woman, but her clothing is really attractive.

I just looked her up and she was in “Good Girls”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 11:46 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,817,453 times
I'm really enjoying it - it feeds the house voyeur in me. So far that former brothel takes the cake but it's a close call with the first one with the fishy themes. I'll be watching the rest of the shows - maybe the "best" is yet to come.

I've never seen the host before but I agree that she is very well dressed. She seems like a fun person and someone I'd like to know in real life.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 6,521,831 times
Oh yeah, the former brothel was something else. I like unique houses but that one would be a challenge for sure.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:34 PM

That jungle house tonight might need more than $150K worth of work to sort it out. Some of its issues are way more than superficial cosmetic touches. Like that interior waterfall/jungle in the greenhouse, I mean dining room. The humidity from that has got to be horrendous. I'd have to wonder about mold and mildew issues. I wonder if structural problems and mediation are within the scope of the $150K award?

Old 01-10-2022, 05:40 AM

I was surprised they chose the brothel house, because I thought they would choose a house with a family, rather than a house that a girls daddy bought for her.

A lot of the choices would have taken more than $150k.

Was that it, or will there be more shows, I wonder?

Old 01-10-2022, 01:31 PM

35,168 posts, read 57,346,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was surprised they chose the brothel house, because I thought they would choose a house with a family, rather than a house that a girls daddy bought for her.

A lot of the choices would have taken more than $150k.

Was that it, or will there be more shows, I wonder?
I didn’t think the house chosen was that bad. Others were worse than that one IMHO. I wonder if they selected it more because they knew they could fix it within the budget. Jay

Old 01-10-2022, 02:04 PM

I suspect that HGTV only wanted to use that $150K for cosmetic stuff - and so they could utilize Allison Victoria's decorating style and skills. Other than cleaning up the pool and landscape, the winning house (as far as they showed) wasn't full of construction flaws, mold and other unforeseen problems that would crop up and wreck the budget.

With the exception of the jungle house, which probably did need some serious work on that indoor greenhouse for health reasons, each of these houses were fixable to a point by just about any able bodied person with the help of a handyman. Much of it was decor-related. That ghastly gold bedroom? Get the furniture out of there, take down the drapes, strip the wallpaper . . . that sort of thing.

Frankly, I've seen uglier houses on some of the real estate websites. The ones HGTV chose are weird, maybe even more than ugly.

If they do another go-round of ugly houses, I hope they'll spread their net into the truly hideous houses that are out there.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:07 PM

Still, I think this show could have longevity. I liked the host, and poor Allison Victoria needs a job after her partner screwed her over in Chicago.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:04 PM

I hope they'll keep it going. It has lots of potential. There are plenty of disastrous houses out there to provide fodder for a long time. It's a lot more fun than the endless stream of houses trying to be mid-century modern when they were "born" as a completely different style. I love Retta - I'd watch her doing just about anything just because.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I hope they'll keep it going. It has lots of potential. There are plenty of disastrous houses out there to provide fodder for a long time. It's a lot more fun than the endless stream of houses trying to be mid-century modern when they were "born" as a completely different style. I love Retta - I'd watch her doing just about anything just because.
I know, right, and her outfits were beautiful for a big woman. Whoever designed them should have a show, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV