Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 05:40 PM

35 posts, read 95,363 times

Advertisements

If someone could give me some info (schools, housing, cost of living, etc.) on Waelder, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 15,906 times
Waelder Texas and Flatonia Texas surrounds the Historical Armstrong Colony Texas. We will be celebrating our 134th Homecoming each 1st Sunday of August and we will be there once again this August 2nd, 2009 at the Mt. Olive Baptist Church.As a 7th generation Grandson of these communities who ancestors answered the call for the settlement of Texas after land granting. My ancestors brought with them Religion, Education, Ranching, Farming, and Cotton Gin Technology.These ancestors are interned in the Waelder City Cemetery, Andrew Wesley Chapel Cemetery (This was our 1st Church/School named after Andrew Winkfield), and Mount Olive Cemetery (Armstrong Colony) of which we are Multi-Cultural in our ethnicity.Land values continue to blossom (Gonzales County and Fayette County)due to the growth of Austin, Texas North of this location and this area still produces Oil & Gas under the producers of different Operators dating on or before 1939.Not mentioned in many of the histories of these communities were many African Americans and/ or Blacks who contributed to the economic development and delt with the hard scores of discrimination and "separate but not equal" school district issues. Therefore, the Winkfield and Haliburton family answered with their 1st African American District and forming Wesley Chapel, 2nd Clines School, and 3rd Albright School which the teachery continues to stand as a historical marker and museum in Armstrong Colony Texas.Therefore, Waelder, Texas and these surrounding communities continue to grow. Waelder recently placed on the ballot a bond that passed to build a new addition to it's school and it's official continue to annex additional land for it's use. Estates continue to appear with great square footage and many are finding this area a great place to escape Houston, TX, Austin, TX, Dallas, TX, San Antonio, TX, and even as far as California!With the transportation infrastructure improvements and the pass through opportunities many are discovering that West of Houston, TX; East of San Antonio, TX and South of Austin, TX - as a great opportunity for a place to Retire and Recreate. And if gaming is in your nature, then hunting in this area is still a way of life and a sport.Being that I have first hand knowledge of these communities and ancestors who contributed and continue to contribute to the economic boom - I'm proud to share with you and other some of the things I've known and enjoyed since a child of Waelder, TX, Flatonia, TX, and Armstrong Colony, TX.The history is rich and the opportunities are vast as a discoverable community called Waelder, TX in the shadows of the hills and country with rolling hills of cedar, pines, and mesquite trees.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,654 times
Riverciti1827,
Can we connect and start a dialogue? I am very interested in your Winkfield and African American History involving Gonzales County, Texas. My great Grandfather Green Hardaway established Wesley Chapel School sometime in 1900. Green married Eliza Cline and Josephine Greenwood. I was surprised not to green Hardaway in your response, but I am very interested in how Andrew Chapel got its name--through Andrew Winkfield and if you know anything else about the genesis of schools in the area. Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best,
Andrew Hardaway
San Antonio, Texas
hardaway.andrew@ gmail.com

Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 9,613 times
There is Waelder I.S.D.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
waelder texas - Google Search

Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverciti1827 View Post
Waelder Texas and Flatonia Texas surrounds the Historical Armstrong Colony Texas. We will be celebrating our 134th Homecoming each 1st Sunday of August and we will be there once again this August 2nd, 2009 at the Mt. Olive Baptist Church.As a 7th generation Grandson of these communities who ancestors answered the call for the settlement of Texas after land granting. My ancestors brought with them Religion, Education, Ranching, Farming, and Cotton Gin Technology.These ancestors are interned in the Waelder City Cemetery, Andrew Wesley Chapel Cemetery (This was our 1st Church/School named after Andrew Winkfield), and Mount Olive Cemetery (Armstrong Colony) of which we are Multi-Cultural in our ethnicity.Land values continue to blossom (Gonzales County and Fayette County)due to the growth of Austin, Texas North of this location and this area still produces Oil & Gas under the producers of different Operators dating on or before 1939.Not mentioned in many of the histories of these communities were many African Americans and/ or Blacks who contributed to the economic development and delt with the hard scores of discrimination and "separate but not equal" school district issues. Therefore, the Winkfield and Haliburton family answered with their 1st African American District and forming Wesley Chapel, 2nd Clines School, and 3rd Albright School which the teachery continues to stand as a historical marker and museum in Armstrong Colony Texas.Therefore, Waelder, Texas and these surrounding communities continue to grow. Waelder recently placed on the ballot a bond that passed to build a new addition to it's school and it's official continue to annex additional land for it's use. Estates continue to appear with great square footage and many are finding this area a great place to escape Houston, TX, Austin, TX, Dallas, TX, San Antonio, TX, and even as far as California!With the transportation infrastructure improvements and the pass through opportunities many are discovering that West of Houston, TX; East of San Antonio, TX and South of Austin, TX - as a great opportunity for a place to Retire and Recreate. And if gaming is in your nature, then hunting in this area is still a way of life and a sport.Being that I have first hand knowledge of these communities and ancestors who contributed and continue to contribute to the economic boom - I'm proud to share with you and other some of the things I've known and enjoyed since a child of Waelder, TX, Flatonia, TX, and Armstrong Colony, TX.The history is rich and the opportunities are vast as a discoverable community called Waelder, TX in the shadows of the hills and country with rolling hills of cedar, pines, and mesquite trees.
Note: Please give reference (credit) to the author!

Author: Charles E. English, grandson
Winkfield, Harris, Pettit, Stanton, Saunders, Sanders, Whittenberg, Curtis, (Simms, Wiseman, Jones)
P.O. Box 831336
San Antonio, Texas 78283-1336
ceenglish2006@yahoo.com

Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverciti1827 View Post
Waelder Texas and Flatonia Texas surrounds the Historical Armstrong Colony Texas. We will be celebrating Homecoming each 1st Sunday of August and we will be there once again this August 01, 2010 at the Mt. Olive Baptist Church. As a 7th generation Grandson of these communities who ancestors answered the call for the settlement of Texas after land granting. My ancestors brought with them Religion, Education, Ranching, Farming, and Cotton Gin Technology. These ancestors are interned in the Waelder City Cemetery, Andrew Wesley Chapel Cemetery (This was our 1st Church/School named after Andrew Winkfield), and Mount Olive Cemetery (Armstrong Colony) of which we are Multi-Cultural in our ethnicity. Land values continue to blossom (Gonzales County and Fayette County)due to the growth of Austin, Texas North of this location and this area still produces Oil & Gas under the producers of different Operators dating on or before 1939. Not mentioned in many of the histories of these communities were many African Americans and/ or Blacks who contributed to the economic development and delt with the hard scores of discrimination and "separate but not equal" school district issues. Therefore, the Winkfield and Haliburton family answered with their 1st African American School District and forming Wesley Chapel, 2nd Clines School, and 3rd Albright School which the teachery continues to stand as a historical marker and museum in Armstrong Colony Texas. Therefore, Waelder, Texas and these surrounding communities continue to grow. Waelder recently placed on the ballot a bond that passed to build a new addition to it's school and it's official continue to annex additional land for it's use. Estates continue to appear with great square footage and many are finding this area a great place to escape Houston, TX, Austin, TX, Dallas, TX, San Antonio, TX, and even as far as California!With the transportation infrastructure improvements and the pass through opportunities many are discovering that West of Houston, TX; East of San Antonio, TX and South of Austin, TX - as a great opportunity for a place to Retire and Recreate. And if gaming is in your nature, then hunting in this area is still a way of life and a sport. Being that I have first hand knowledge of these communities and ancestors who contributed and continue to contribute to the economic boom - I'm proud to share with you and other some of the things I've known and enjoyed since a child of Waelder, TX, Flatonia, TX, and Armstrong Colony, TX. The history is rich and the opportunities are vast as a discoverable community called Waelder, TX in the shadows of the hills and country with rolling hills of cedar, pines, and mesquite trees. I've been contacted by a few people who challenge the history of the past in this community, however they have shown that their research is in adequate and incomplete.
Note: Please give reference (credit) to the author!

Author: Charles E. English, grandson of these families;
Winkfield, Harris, Pettit, Stanton, Saunders, Sanders, Whittenberg, Curtis, (Simms, Wiseman, Jones)
P.O. Box 831336
San Antonio, Texas 78283-1336
ceenglish2006@yahoo.com

Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,067 times
i am the grandson of the late alton armstrong i know very little of my family history before my grand father.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,858 times
Default Alton Armstrong

I am a relative of his. My father's mother was Lula Armstrong, Daughter of Mitchell and Fannie Armstrong.
I am trying to find out about the Armstrong Family Reunion in August 2013. Do you have any information?

Deborah Toney Nix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas