Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 04:22 AM

833 posts, read 461,265 times

Advertisements

Hi yall,
We are possibly looking to buy some land that would be in a part of the state that would be good for totally off-grid living and gardening and growing at least some of our own food.I would like it to be far away from the big cities.Crime would not be a issue for me.I would want us to be able to live on it full-time if we had to and be able to hunt deer hogs and birds and turkey and axis and rabbits on it.I would like it to be at least 50 to 100 acres.I was watching the World According to Briggs and he said East Texas or towards the Eastern portion would be better than West Texas because of the water.I would like it to have good investing potential so I could maybe sell in 20 to 50 years and get my money back and then some.I would want it to be in a wet county so I could buy alcohol when I want without going too far.

I would like to be inland far enough from the gulf that a hurricane would not totally destroy the place.I want to be far away from any power plants,correctional institutions, and military installations.I would want easy access to water.My budget is possibly 100 Grand maybe stretch it to 150,000 if I really have to but 150 Grand is really pushing it.I was thinking of the West Texas Hill Country but I am giving it second thought because of water.I found out land is about 1,000 per acre in Ozona.I would also want to be in a county that allows muzzle loader hunting for deer.

I would like to stay between 1,000 and 2,000 maybe 3,000 dollars per acre.I would want the property taxes to be low and we would get ag exemption and/or wildlife exemption if possible.Living in a area with high crime would not bother me if I could buy in a safe area.However obviously low to moderate crime is more preferable than high crime.I would like to be at least 100 miles from any MSA/CSA.I would want to be at least 100 miles from any city that had 100,000 or more people.I would want to be away from the interstate.Basically I want to be way out in the middle of nowhere.I need to visit East Texas or that part of the state at some point.I would want to have internet and cell phone service available.It doesnt have to be in East Texas I just want to be in a decent part of the state for off grid living.It could be anywhere in Texas that is good for off-grid.I figure I would hunt for a lot of our own meat on the property.I would like to be in the Managed Lands Deer Program so I can take a lot of deer off it a year legally.It looks like my budget may be too low for East Texas so I may not buy there.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; Today at 05:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:44 AM

11,898 posts, read 27,024,867 times
That budget is about 20 years too late. The only places you'll be able to get land that cheaply are in the middle of nowhere in west Texas, and it will cost you a fortune to drill a water well. Ozona surface land is cheap because you do not own mineral rights, and your land can be taken over by the drilling companies at the order of whoever owns your mineral rights. Even then, finding land 100 miles from any city or interstate highway is going to be a tough order.

Old Today, 09:23 AM

4,695 posts, read 2,839,639 times
OK, so parsing the wall of text:

You want 50-100 acres, with good water, hunting, suitable for small scale row crop agriculture and large household gardening; wet county; far away from power plants, prisons, or military bases; 100 miles away from any city; but with internet and cell phone service; and good investment potential; and you want to pay no more than $150,000 for this.

Not going to happen.

Pastureland in East Texas is going for $5000-10,000/acre, no utilities. Much of this land requires very serious work to return the soil to usefulness for crops other than hay.

And the water tables are getting lower every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: