Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 PM

6 posts, read 23,735 times

Advertisements

I know that there have been a lot of posts for families looking for housing etc. but...

Does anyone have suggestions on a good apartment complex for a newly relocated (from Michigan) 24 year old female? Something safe, cost effective ($700 if utilites are included) and near restaurants, nightlife etc? I will be working in East Syracuse and would like to stay within 20 miles of work.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 PM

93,353 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I would say the Westcott neighborhood, when taking into account your criteria. It's a neighborhood on the East side of the city of Syracuse that is close to Syracuse University. Considering you are from Michigan, think of say, Ann Arbor when thinking of this neighborhood. Eastwood and the Tipperary Hill neighborhoods might also be what you are looking for. Eastwood is known as a village within the city, with businesses along James Street. It's also a straight shot down James Street into East Syracuse. Tipp Hill, as we call it, is more of an ethnic neighborhood(Irish), that has neighborhood bars and the others things you want nearby. It's also close to the Armory Square section of Downtown Syracuse.

If you want more of a suburban area, Liverpool has plenty of apartments within your range, but there isn't too much in the way of nightlife.

Here's some more information that might help:Housing Info (http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/IR/housing.asp - broken link)

syracuse rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tipperary Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eastwood, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Armory Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse NY :

Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

Syracuse NY : Apartments & Houses for Rent (http://syrahoo.com/hoocat_c_rentals.php3 - broken link)
Hope this helps and welcome!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 PM

Thank you very much!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 PM

By the way, where in Michigan are you from? Just wondering because I have family in the Detroit area and went to MSU for 3 years in the mid 90's.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 PM

Oh and here is some more important information you might like:Tipperary Hill Neighborhood Association
Tipp Hill Music Festival ~Welcome (http://www.tipphillmusicfest.org/sponsors.html - broken link)
2008 Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run

Eastwood Neighborhood Association Home (http://eastwoodneighbor.com/Eastwood_Neighborhood_Association_Home.html - broken link)
5 Star Rentals Home (broken link)
Walkable Eastwood

Westcott East Neighborhood Association
Westcott Community Center
SEUNA - Home
UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association (http://www.unpa.net/index.htm - broken link)
Westcott Street Cultural Fair
Westcott Cinema to Re-open Soon | WTVH-TV CBS 5 Syracuse, NY | Local News (http://www.wtvh.com/news/local/13029642.html - broken link)

Old 10-02-2008, 05:45 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times
If the economy does slip into a depression, you might want to reconsider moving to a city neighborhood. We have yet to see how a modern depression mixes with inner city crime. Unfortunately, most city neighborhoods are within a few blocks of lower income neighborhoods.

Just a heads up.

Most affordable suburban apartments are located in the Liverpool/Clay area. Which is halfway on the other side of town from East Syracuse. If you don't mind a 30 minute commute, you may want to look at Willow Stream Apartments North in Liverpool/Clay area. No nightlife nearby, but it is almost within walking distance from many restaurants and stores.

Link:
Willow Stream Apartments North

For some strange reason, most local jobs are located in the East Syracuse area. One of the main problems with this fact is that East Syracuse is the ugliest, most depressing suburb of Syracuse and most people do not want to live there. So there is little new development there. And the rest of the eastern suburbs are too expensive for most people. So most are forced to live within the city limits or on the other side of town. Not a good set up/city planning IMO.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:14 PM

I am coming from Canton (just east of Ann Arbor). Actually just graduated from Wayne State University!

Another person told me that Camillus (sp?) is a nice place?!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 PM

Default So......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakers View Post
I am coming from Canton (just east of Ann Arbor). Actually just graduated from Wayne State University!

Another person told me that Camillus (sp?) is a nice place?!
Did you go to Plymouth-Canton or Canton-Plymouth? I think those were the names of the HS's there.

Yes, Camillus is nice. To be honest, most, if not all, of the suburbs are nice to some degree. Some suburbs are more working class like Solvay, Mattydale, Nedrow, East Syracuse and the Galeville community in the Liverpool area. Then, you have your regular suburbs like most of the Northern suburbs in the towns of Clay and Cicero, Camillus, Westvale, etc. While affluent suburbs are communities like Fayetteville/Manlius, the Jamesville-DeWitt area for the most part, Onondaga Hill(again for the most part) and so on. There is hardly any serious crime in the suburbs, but the nightlife aspect is lacking for the most part.

I want to say that with due respect to bellafinzi, the city of Syracuse really is not that bad. I would like to see people here go to Detroit, Flint or Saginaw and tell how they look at Syracuse after going to those places. While there is crime here, it is pretty much among people living a certain lifestyle and in certain areas. We really don't have areas in the city of Syracuse that you can't drive through during the day or even the night, as long as you aren't living in a reckless manner.

Also, East Syracuse is only "depressing" in the area around Carrier Circle where there is an abandoned Howard Johnson's Motel and an old abandoned Gas station next to it. East Syracuse itself is a working class village of about 3000 that does have it's share of renters. So, with so much turnover, it's tough to keep some of the housing up better than it could be. Most of that is in the area east of Kinne St., north of Manlius St., west of McCool Ave. and south of Irving St. in the village. There are other nice areas in the East Syracuse zip code like the Franklin Park, Park Hill and Parkwood developments north of the village. Franklin Park actually has some nice apartments as well. There's also the Fremont section east of the village in the town of Manlius that is very much a middle to upper middle class housing area. So, it's not totally like bellafinzi is saying.

As for the city of Syracuse neighborhoods I suggested for you, they are areas that are generally safe and have a little bit to offer to people in that neighborhood. Downtown Syracuse might possibly be another option with all of the lofts they are building down there too.

So, I hope the information provided will allow you to make a decision that ultimately makes you happy.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 PM

Thank you ckhthankgod! I did graduate from Plymouth Canton, now there are three H.S. on one campus. Where did you grow up?

I am glad you can take the time to provide me with great information. Never having lived in Syracuse I keep seeing posts about crime, it can not be worse than Detroit. If I were to move "within City limits" what would you compare the crime to~ Ann Arbor, Inkster, Detroit?

Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakers View Post
Thank you ckhthankgod! I did graduate from Plymouth Canton, now there are three H.S. on one campus. Where did you grow up?

I am glad you can take the time to provide me with great information. Never having lived in Syracuse I keep seeing posts about crime, it can not be worse than Detroit. If I were to move "within City limits" what would you compare the crime to~ Ann Arbor, Inkster, Detroit?

I know about the Plymouth, Canton and Salem area due to meeting people from that area while going to Michigan State U.

As for what city in Michigan I would compare Syracuse to in terms of crime, maybe more like Lansing or Grand Rapids, if not in between those two. Check this information out about the crime rates of cities of similar size to Syracuse's: United States cities by crime rate (100,000 - 250,000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area