Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,873,256 times

Advertisements

$150 million floating exhibition center proposed for Oswego Harbor: Oswego Neighbors Today | syracuse.com

It would include an exhibition/trade center, office and lab space to accommodate 25 companies, an aquarium and aquatic gardens, a multimedia center, 20 luxury apartments and an observation deck. The 155,000 sq. ft. facility would be designed by world-class architects Waterstudio, of the Netherlands. The project would be financed through private equity bonds. Listed as potential partners are Fraunhofer Center for Sustainable Energy, USA/Germany and Citic Guoan Group, Beijing, China. The group indicates it would welcome “additional monies and tax credits.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,768,956 times
That's nice. It's THEIR money to risk, it should NOT be the taxpayers'.

They can welcome tax credits to their hearts' content... it shouldn't happen. Them thinking that it will be financed through 100% private sources will show just how realistic this project is.

No more hoping on a [taxpayer] dime. Put your money where your mouth is... and all that jazz.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post

They can welcome tax credits to their hearts' content... it shouldn't happen. Them thinking that it will be financed through 100% private sources will show just how realistic this project is.

No more hoping on a [taxpayer] dime. Put your money where your mouth is... and all that jazz.
I understand where your coming from, but tax incentives are a reality. The state of Georgia provided $410 million dollars for $1.2 billion Kia Auto Plant in West Point, Georgia, (rhetorical question) but would you oppose that in CNY? Granted, there is a big difference between an auto plant and an expo center, but the reality is they can build it anywhere. If CNY is going to be a center of environmental research and development, it makes sense to have a project like this (pending more details of course) in CNY. The economic mulitplier might be worth the initial incentive, due diligence is needed. It would be refreshing for the investors listed to complete the project without incentives, but I am sure they will be asking.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:06 PM

93,932 posts, read 124,723,742 times
That sounds like potential project that would fit in the Inner Harbor. I think Oswego is starting to push forward and make itself more marketable. So, I'm not surprised to hear about something like this up there. It has the history, water, a college campus, events, some nightlife and could appeal to those that like winter sports or the outdoors in general. There has even been some loft apartments built there. So, it is something to keep an eye on.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,280,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post

I agree with you 100% in theory and about 90% the way things work these days.

Something that are tax free locally like SU and Turning Stone and the above mentioned Kia plant make me wonder. Basically amounts to taxing the employees, sales and income and NY's thousand other taxes. I'd like to see some hard numbers from an independent source if they are a win or not.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I agree with you 100% in theory and about 90% the way things work these days.

I'd like to see some hard numbers from an independent source if they are a win or not.
I agree, I would have to see more details before jumping on the bandwagon.

As far as SU or Turning Stone vs. a (say) Kia, its apples to oranges. The former two are tax exempt, SU is a private not-for-profit university, T-S is protected by the Bureau of Indian Affairs as a soverign nation, but Kia is a private business looking for tax incentives to locate in West Point, Georgia. The amount of investment $1.2 billion, taxes paid by employees, property taxes, school taxes, etc. will far outweigh the initial $410 million investment by the state. I wouldn't mind a Kia plant in CNY, but its not going to happen since NYS is a union state.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That sounds like potential project that would fit in the Inner Harbor.
I was thinking the same thing, esp. the aquarium part of the project. I think the only problem would be the design, it would have to change. It would not fit in with the historic character of Franklin Square, but would actually complement Destiny USA. I still like COR's proposal for the inner-harbor, but open to ideas. If NOVA Oswego is feasible, it all works to the benefit of CNY. Syracuse will benefit indirectly and may tie into the CoE to Oswego. It is too early to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area