Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times

Advertisements

Toyota and (mostly) Subaru came up with a RWD sports coupe. It seems like a compelling choice if you're shopping that segment, but power seems a little low. C/D (that's Car & Driver, not City-Data) seems to expect a turbo version but that hasn't been confirmed.

What do you think?

2013 Subaru BRZ Sports Car First Drive – Review – Car and Driver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Response it will likely trash it. I think subaru can make a kick ass sports coupe, and woohoo for RWD. AWD is nice but not everyone needs it.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:42 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
From what I understand, Subaru has been responsible for most of the technical where Toyota has been responsible for the aesthetics (broad lines, obviously), which is why we see the 2.0L Boxer and not an inline-4, well that and the fact that a boxer means the nose can be lower.

I really like what I see, both in Subaru (my first choice) and Toyota form, and with Subaru looking to launch this car as a motorsports alternative, I would be very surprised if a more powerful version weren't to follow.

That being said, I don't think it's a car you'd see me driving around in any time soon, but that's down to personal purchase preferences, overall I think it looks like a great little car(s), and a nice addition to the marketplace.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
It's not a response to the Genesis, the Genesis is a much larger car and much heavier. It's more a return to the old sports coupe days of the original RX7, 240Z, and 944. (it actually has more power and torque than any of those cars (with the exception of the later turbo versions of each one) A lightweight, RWD 4 cyl 2+2 with what should be perfect balance and a low CG. It's actually barely bigger than a Miata, and should appeal to those that want a Miata but need the practicality of a 2+2 coupe.

Subaru and Toyota both say no to a turbo version, as there is supposedly nowhere to mount the turbo, BUT, TRD is already working on a supercharger for it, so the aftermarket will probably step up. There will also never be an AWD version, even for Subaru (with the exception of the tube frame BRZ300 road race car).

I plan on looking at them when they arrive in the spring. Would be a killer autocross combination. I'll be more interested in the Scion version (we won't get the Toyota branded car here in the US) rather than the Subaru version, as the Subaru will come standard with the Nav and auto climate control systems, and thus be priced a couple grand higher than the Scion FR-S, which will have standard HVAC 3 knob setup and just a double DIN radio rather than the NAV. Expect a base price of $22k or so for the Scion and $25k for the Subie.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Subaru isn't known for having the smoothest gear boxes, except maybe in the STi. This one seems to resolve that. I hope it makes its way to the WRX and Legacy GT, if not the entire Subie lineup.

"the manual had us seeking a temple at which we might make an offering of thanks. The clutch pedal is a touch light—and a touch light on feel—but snaps to attention right off the floor and engages smoothly, and the stubby shifter snicks between gates with ease."

Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
It's not a response to the Genesis, the Genesis is a much larger car and much heavier. It's more a return to the old sports coupe days of the original RX7, 240Z, and 944. (it actually has more power and torque than any of those cars (with the exception of the later turbo versions of each one) A lightweight, RWD 4 cyl 2+2 with what should be perfect balance and a low CG. It's actually barely bigger than a Miata, and should appeal to those that want a Miata but need the practicality of a 2+2 coupe.

Subaru and Toyota both say no to a turbo version, as there is supposedly nowhere to mount the turbo, BUT, TRD is already working on a supercharger for it, so the aftermarket will probably step up. There will also never be an AWD version, even for Subaru (with the exception of the tube frame BRZ300 road race car).

I plan on looking at them when they arrive in the spring. Would be a killer autocross combination. I'll be more interested in the Scion version (we won't get the Toyota branded car here in the US) rather than the Subaru version, as the Subaru will come standard with the Nav and auto climate control systems, and thus be priced a couple grand higher than the Scion FR-S, which will have standard HVAC 3 knob setup and just a double DIN radio rather than the NAV. Expect a base price of $22k or so for the Scion and $25k for the Subie.
^This.

Do other people realize how small this car is? This car will be a blast to drive; there's no other car out there like this right now.

My only problem with it is that it should be branded as a Toyota here in the states. I'm not a fan of Scion that much as they will probably put a confetti gun to the interior and include optional steel wire rims.

Plus I've heard that the Subaru STI version will have somewhere "under 300hp".

If I didn't need the space and didn't like the WRX so much I'd strongly consider this car.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:26 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Love my bug-eyes WRX wagon, but I think this is one sweet, honest little car. Like a hardtop Miata/MX5 all grown up.

Honestly, how many of us really can handle much less use 400hp? A well balanced, light, sweet shifting and great handling car on the curves brings out so much more joy.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
It's actually barely bigger than a Miata, and should appeal to those that want a Miata but need the practicality of a 2+2 coupe.
I know the reviews for the Miata are great, but I can't help but think it looks like a chick's car. I could never own one. This Subie on the other hand... I wouldn't mind being seen in it. Letting Toyota design the body was a good idea.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:51 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Pretty cool 2012 Celica!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:15 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I know the reviews for the Miata are great, but I can't help but think it looks like a chick's car. I could never own one. This Subie on the other hand... I wouldn't mind being seen in it. Letting Toyota design the body was a good idea.
The Miata looks like teh Lotus Elan it was paterend after. Or much like my MGB. It's a traditional british sports car that won't leak in your driveway and starts all the time. If you think it's a chicks car, you're really missing out. And makes me wonder what your influences are that could make your mind miss the mark by such a wide margin..

Be that as it may, the Miata (like most traditional sports cars) are not really practical for most people to use if they have to have just one car. The Toyobaru will fill that niche nicely.

the Scion version will be identical to the basic Toyota version everywhere else. No steel wheels and no "confetti gun interior" whatever that means. The only difference on the interiors are the nav and climate control knobs. Seats, steering wheel,and door panels are all the same, and the Scion gets Toyotas carbon fiber look dash. Of course, like most Scions, it'll probably be very customizeable right from the dealer, which might help its appeal.

VWVortex.com - Scion fr-s officially revealed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru