Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2020, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,440 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a young professional in my late 20's moving to St. Louis this year for work, and I was wondering how the Midtown area is to live. I am looking at the Coronado Place and Towers apartments that's close to SLU's undergrad campus. I heard Midtown might not have been the safest area in the past, however there have been a lot of new developments in the area and it is becoming a thriving part of the city. Could someone please let me know how Midtown is currently and if it is a safe area to move into?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 07:59 AM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
Hi there. I live very close to this area - actually in a neighborhood called the Gate District which is very close to SLU's hospitals. Safe is a relative term, that many view in different ways.

Generally peaking, the central corridor communities (those between downtown and Clayton, between Delmar to the north and I-44 or Russel to the south, are generally considered safe with property crime tending to be more relevant. However, gun violence in our nation as a whole seems to be on the rise. It has been said in the past that most violent crime is target, gang or drug related, but there have been instances where innocent victims have been involved. I do not think we in St. Louis are alone in this regard.

And, while these things happen, and are scary (not to down play), for every occurrence, there are examples of many more who are never impacted by the crime. Overall I am happy to live in the city and would not want to move further out to the suburbs that many deep as more safe. The city has a lot going for it, and the central corridor in general. Happy to answer other questions you may have.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
Hi there. I live very close to this area - actually in a neighborhood called the Gate District which is very close to SLU's hospitals. Safe is a relative term, that many view in different ways.

Generally peaking, the central corridor communities (those between downtown and Clayton, between Delmar to the north and I-44 or Russel to the south, are generally considered safe with property crime tending to be more relevant. However, gun violence in our nation as a whole seems to be on the rise. It has been said in the past that most violent crime is target, gang or drug related, but there have been instances where innocent victims have been involved. I do not think we in St. Louis are alone in this regard.

And, while these things happen, and are scary (not to down play), for every occurrence, there are examples of many more who are never impacted by the crime. Overall I am happy to live in the city and would not want to move further out to the suburbs that many deep as more safe. The city has a lot going for it, and the central corridor in general. Happy to answer other questions you may have.
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Appreciated. So overall, would you recommend living in the area? (Compared to a place like Central West End). The only reason I ask is that some of my acquaintances (who live in CWE) recommended not living in Midtown, however the reviews I read have been mostly positive about Midtown. As someone who has never lived in St. Louis, I just wanted to know the opinion of someone who has, before moving to St. Louis. Thanks again in advance.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:07 PM

Do you have a particular place in mind?

Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
At least 10 years ago, that building was pretty much entirely students. Wouldn't be my scene in my late 20s [loud parties every weekend, puke in the hallways, etc]

Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 PM

451 posts, read 364,593 times
The actual name of the neighborhood known as "Midtown" is Covenant-Blu/Grand Center. Most just say Grand Center. Its home to the Fox Theater, Powell Symphony Hall, The Sheldon, Jazz at the bistro and many other bars and restaurants. Yes, it is safe. The numerous event halls keep the street active well into the evening. The CWE is more posh, but does it actually experience less crime? Idk, you'll have to consult the data.

Soon the Foundry StL will be completed and will provide another excellent entertainment and eatery destination in Grand Center (or very close if not technically within the boundaries). Here is the link so you can see what is planned City Foundry – St. Louis – Opening 2020

Also, grand center is very close to the CWE, the Grove and South Grand. So, if its cheaper to live in Midtown, I think you should really consider it. After all, the other great neighborhoods are a short train, bus, or bike ride away.

Also, just for future consideration, try to ask transplants these types of questions. St. Louisans have a tendency to crap on their own town and overplay the crime.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:55 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNanym View Post
Hi, I am a young professional in my late 20's moving to St. Louis this year for work, and I was wondering how the Midtown area is to live. I am looking at the Coronado Place and Towers apartments that's close to SLU's undergrad campus. I heard Midtown might not have been the safest area in the past, however there have been a lot of new developments in the area and it is becoming a thriving part of the city. Could someone please let me know how Midtown is currently and if it is a safe area to move into?
There have been some recent carjacking incidents in that area that have received some media coverage:

Police: Suspects in Midtown carjacking are 13 and 14 years-oldfox2now.com › 2019/09/23 › police-suspects-in-midtown-carjacking-...
Sep 23, 2019 - LOUIS - St. Louis police are looking for a 13-year-old boy wanted for carjacking a ... apartments in the 3700 block of Lindell Blvd. The St. Louis University ... 9:30 a.m. today in a parking garage for Coronado Place and Towers, ...

SLU students ask for increased security after carjackings at off ...www.ksdk.com › article › news › crime › slu-students-ask-for-increas...
Sep 23, 2019 - LOUIS — A St. Louis University finance major, Erin Kress chose ... for her senior year, sharing an apartment with three roommates at Coronado ...

SLU students meet to discuss safety concerns following recent ...www.kmov.com › news › slu-students-meet-to-discuss-safety-concerns-f...
Sep 24, 2019 - Over 50 St. Louis University students met Monday night to discuss safety concerns following two carjackings near campus within the last week. ... petition calling on the property manager of Coronado Apartments on Lindell to ...

I'm not suggesting the area is unsafe based on this but I would say this is something that is happening more frequently in many areas of St. Louis. A woman was just car-jacked at a busy shopping center in Kirkwood where I live.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:27 AM

201 posts, read 219,615 times
Central West End and Midtown are generally safe and enjoyable if you're on your guard. There is one part of Lindell Blvd. as CWE merges towards Midtown (after Boyle Avenue) that is a little sketchy with a noticeable downgrade in restaurants and a security guard at the grocery store (or at least they did). Then, when you get to Midtown, things clear up again. Never had any issues driving through that area at night, but I wouldn't recommend going grocery shopping or anything over there really late.

Last edited by Metal To The Core; 03-14-2020 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-30-2023, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 854 times
Hello I am an international student about to resume at SLU. I am contemplating getting accommodation at The Icon, but the reports on St. Louis esp. Midtown is quite scary. The uni area was also in the news for crime. Would you mind giving an update on the situation around that area as of today. Thank you so much.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:58 PM

I stand by my comments from 2020. I am still in the area, just bought a condo a little further to the east of where I was then. Crime in the St Louis metro area is not that different than nay major American city; the city just happens to include a much smaller area than some, and is more of the urban core.

Currently, violent crime in down in the city (let's keep it trending that way!)

I visit the iCON area frequently for Snarf's Sandwiches or Chipotle (there is a Starbucks there, too). I don't know anyone who lives there, but I have never felt unsafe. There is a lot of traffic in the area with Grand, Forest Park Ave and then the University.

I welcome input from others who may have a different experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis