Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 08:37 AM

1,290 posts, read 789,152 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/news/top-ranke...000149455.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 10:55 AM

1,124 posts, read 931,051 times
Who cares?

Old 04-03-2022, 12:43 PM

Perhaps you should ask Yahoo News and other news services that are reporting it. They generally share your views on the issues.

My headline would have been "College basketball team stands for the national anthem", referring to Louisville. That was the real news.

The coach is paid a lot of money to coach a game. College sports and the WNBA are supported by a lot of white people. Her premise for not standing for the anthem is there is 'systemic racism' in this country. Her life story proves that wrong.

Old 04-03-2022, 01:08 PM

Again, who cares? I don’t even know why they’re reporting about it, I’d hardly call it news. It was just a slow day at the office I’m guessing. And if you can correctly guess my political beliefs I will personally never respond again to a single thread on here. Generalizing people isn’t in anyones interest, whether it be me, or the “white people” who support a womens basketball team (though idk why race matters at all when being a fan of a sport).

Old 04-03-2022, 01:28 PM

If you don't care, why are you posting on this topic and insisting nobody cares.

You don't want to have a good faith discussion. My point was the coach complains about systemic racism in this country but she is a highly paid black woman. College basketball and WNBA are supported by many white people. The point of talking about the race of many of the fans is it contradicts her assertion there is systemic racism.

You present my comment as me randomly talking about the race of fans.

Old 04-03-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
If you don't care, why are you posting on this topic and insisting nobody cares.

You don't want to have a good faith discussion. My point was the coach complains about systemic racism in this country but she is a highly paid black woman. College basketball and WNBA are supported by many white people. The point of talking about the race of many of the fans is it contradicts her assertion there is systemic racism.

You present my comment as me randomly talking about the race of fans.
You can be a fan of a sport and still be a racist. You can have a black friend and still use the n word, does that make it not racist because you have a black friend. She could be the richest person on planet earth and still be marginalized by society because she is black. You’re proving nothing and I’d go to bet at least 75% of the people on this specific forum do not care. You’re tryna make a gotcha moment against Dawn Staley and black Americans in general and I don’t think anyones falling for it. I implore you to read about Dawns story and upbringing and the struggle she had to crawl her way through to get to where she is. She is one of the lucky few who was able to break through it. It being of course, systemic racism.

Old 04-03-2022, 01:42 PM

Your comments are in defense of the coach's position on systemic racism.

It seems insincere for you to say you don't care.

It is interesting to me that you get upset if somebody posts a news article about a protest based on a premise you agree with. It seems like you would want it to be publicized. What good is a protest if you don't want anybody to know about it.

It is not a gotcha to talk about a position another person has. Disagreeing with a position the coach has doesn't mean I'm out to get her. She seems like a great coach. I think she's missing an opportunity to deliver a positive message to young people. It is not good for young people to hear the deck is stacked against them.

I know several black engineers. Nobody was trying to hold them back.

I don't buy there are many white racists watching college basketball and the WNBA. There's no reason to believe that.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 04-03-2022 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-03-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Your comments are in defense of the coach's position on systemic racism.

It seems insincere for you to say you don't care.

It is interesting to me that you get upset if somebody posts a news article about a protest based on a premise you agree with. It seems like you would want it to be publicized. What good is a protest if you don't want anybody to know about it.

It is not a gotcha to talk about a position another person has. Disagreeing with a position the coach has doesn't mean I'm out to get her. She seems like a great coach. I think she's missing an opportunity to deliver a positive message to young people. It is not good for young people to hear the deck is stacked against them.

I know several black engineers. Nobody was trying to hold them back.

I don't buy there are many white racists watching college basketball and the WNBA. There's no reason to believe that.
Bro, I don’t understand what you don’t get about who cares. We don’t care that you’re trying to make it a big deal. It matters that they’re protesting yes, but who cares that the media and you are just pointing it out so that people can jump on and try to ostracize them. We don’t care because we support what they did, we being people who actually support Dawn and the teams decision. It may not be good to hear the deck is stacked against them but guess what, it’s the truth. And that’s worth fighting for. Why lie to a young person and make them feel like life’s a fairytale for them to grow up and be disappointed? Better to fight the good fight now so they can have an actual chance when they’re older. And people can be racist without even realizing, it’s called having a subconscious thought. It’s like someone driving through a black part of town and making the statement, “this is the ghetto.” Is it overly racist to say so? Many may say yes, but it’s the fact it’s a comment made towards a group of people that is off putting. Even if to you it doesn’t have a negative connotation, it does to them. It’s degrading, even if someone doesn’t realize it. Kinda like saying, “You’re so pretty for a black girl.” Implying that black girls aren’t or can’t be inherently pretty. That is what systematic racism is. “Oh Dawn, you’ve gone so far in life for being a black women.” The fact that that has to be said proves that systemic racism is a thing.

Last edited by BrandonCoombes; 04-03-2022 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-03-2022, 02:29 PM

8,797 posts, read 5,094,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Who cares?
I do. Hope they lose big time.

Old 04-03-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Bro, I don’t understand what you don’t get about who cares. We don’t care that you’re trying to make it a big deal. It matters that they’re protesting yes, but who cares that the media and you are just pointing it out so that people can jump on and try to ostracize them. We don’t care because we support what they did, we being people who actually support Dawn and the teams decision. It may not be good to hear the deck is stacked against them but guess what, it’s the truth. And that’s worth figuring for. Why lie to a young person and make them feel like life’s a fairytale for them to grow up and be disappointed? Better to fight the good fight now so they can have an actual chance when they’re older. And people can be racist without even realizing, it’s called having a subconscious thought. It’s like someone driving through a black part of town and making the statement, “this is the ghetto.” Is it overly racist to say so? Many may say yes, but it’s the fact it’s a comment made towards a group of people that is off putting. Even if to you it doesn’t have a negative connotation, it does to them. It’s degrading, even if someone doesn’t realize it. Kinda like saying, “You’re so pretty for a black girl.” Implying that black girls aren’t or can’t be inherently pretty. That is what systematic racism is. “Oh Dawn, you’ve gone so far in life for being a black women.” The fact that that has to be said proves that systemic racism is a thing.
So you believe in the 'woke' message but you said it is gotcha to talk about the coach's woke message.

It is humorous to me that people who make more money than most white people are complaining about systemic racism. She coaches a game and gets paid a lot for it. Nobody could have anticipated she would have that level of success as a head coach when she was hired , similar to Dabo, but she was still given the opportunity at Temple and based on her success there, she was offered the SC job.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 04-03-2022 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina