Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 AM

62 posts, read 310,807 times

Advertisements

I've heard so many people on these boards say that young, unmarried people would be bored to tears living in Sonoma County and should absolutely move to San Francisco instead. I've followed this advice and have lived in SF for almost six years now, and, as always, I'm so depressed by all the asphault and traffic, and I hate nightlife--and am longing, as I always have--to live in the country. And after dating an endless succession of successful business types for six years, all I've found in the city are city guys who love the city, live for flashy nightlife and when I say I want to spend the weekend in Sonoma, ask "Why?" I think I'll have a better chance of meeting someone who appreciates a quieter life if I leave the city and actually go to the place where other country-lovers are likely to be. But from what everyone here says, everyone North of San Francisco is already married (or divorced) and in the process of raising children and I'd stick out like a sore thumb. Is it true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
There are plenty of single well educated people in the North Bay. Sonoma County maybe more so than Marin, due to Sonoma State and the Santa Rosa Junior College. Now I understand that they are not in their 30's most likely, but there is quite the social scene in downtown West Petaluma, for instance...
You should start day-tripping up this way...you'd be surprised I think.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:30 PM

358 posts, read 1,036,970 times
Um, if you've always preferred country life, then why would you think that living in SF would be your thing or that you'd meet women with whom you had much in common? Most of the people who say a young single person would be bored to tears in Sonoma County are generally people who are not into living in a rural setting. Its all about what lifestyle you are interested in. If you are the type who would prefer meeting a woman at a small town farmer's market than a lounge or bar in the City, then you'd prefer Sonoma County. If you aren't that type, then you'd tend to think that Sonoma County was for people who are already "settled down" and aren't "looking for fun".

I always say live in an area that reflects who you are and you'll meet someone that appreciates your personality and interests.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
The wine industry attracts young, educated singles as do a number of "green" businesses well in vogue in the North Bay. Also, those who crave constant outdoor activities are well represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland