Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 02:58 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,829,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
After months of negotiations, San Francisco’s public employee unions are closing in on new contract agreements that include wage increases even as the city grapples with a budget deficit in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

By Monday, the city had struck tentative deals with unions representing over 20,000 workers, including the Service Employees International Union Local 1021, International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers Local 21, Laborers Union Local 261, the Deputy Sheriffs' Association and Transport Workers Union Local 200, according to the Mayor’s Office.

Specific details surrounding each union’s deal weren’t immediately available, though Local 21 told The Standard that its roughly 6,000 members would be receiving a wage increase of 13% over three years.
As the deadline for contract negotiations neared this spring, unions were threatening a strike that could have impacted a wide variety of city services.

Public workers haven’t gone on strike in San Francisco since the 1970s. After a city-initiated prohibition on striking that lasted decades, the California Public Employment Relations Board ruled in July 2023 that the ban was unlawful.

https://sfstandard.com/2024/04/15/sa...ns-labor-deal/
I can't imagine the chaos that will ensue once the unions decide to strike en masse. SF is a progressive city and public employee unions have the city by the cojones probably even more so than the state public employee unions have WRT California.

Interesting times ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 06:50 PM

580 posts, read 515,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I can't imagine the chaos that will ensue once the unions decide to strike en masse. SF is a progressive city and public employee unions have the city by the cojones probably even more so than the state public employee unions have WRT California.

Interesting times ahead.
SF has a hard enough time keeping public employees as it is. See the PD, teachers, etc.

The reason being:

No one wants to work in SF and commute from Vacaville or Davis. It's a miserable way to live. So you have to raise the wages in order to attract talent.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
SF has a hard enough time keeping public employees as it is. See the PD, teachers, etc.

The reason being:

No one wants to work in SF and commute from Vacaville or Davis. It's a miserable way to live. So you have to raise the wages in order to attract talent.
The pension is a big seller, especially for police.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:07 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
The pension is a big seller, especially for police.
I'm a public employee (different city/county), and yeah. We're here for the pensions and benefits. I assure you, we are NOT here for the high wages! I could definitely earn more in the private sector, but I like the stability and long-term benefits of working for a public agency.

You don't need to worry about us peons, as we're still earning a pittance by Bay Area professional standards. It's the highest-level administrators and corporate Fat Cats who are really bringing in the big bucks (and I don't fault them, either). These increases are mostly justified, and we're worth more than they pay us currently. I'm SEIU, for the record.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:

The reason being:

Yep. My job (public librarian) requires a Master's Degree, but as a public employee I'm still barely earning the county's median income. And as a single person, I don't even have a second income to lean on - so that's why I commute from the mountains, where I could actually afford to buy a house. And even then, I could only swing the down payment because my father left me a large inheritance.

If you want an educated society, you have to value your educators. And we can't pay the bills on our "love for the job" lol. So these wage increases are justified and overdue.

Old 04-19-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a public employee (different city/county), and yeah. We're here for the pensions and benefits. I assure you, we are NOT here for the high wages! I could definitely earn more in the private sector, but I like the stability and long-term benefits of working for a public agency.

You don't need to worry about us peons, as we're still earning a pittance by Bay Area professional standards. It's the highest-level administrators and corporate Fat Cats who are really bringing in the big bucks (and I don't fault them, either). These increases are mostly justified, and we're worth more than they pay us currently. I'm SEIU, for the record.
I know a couple of occupational therapists for the county and their pay is about $150k. That's about average for that job. I wouldn't call that a pittance. I also know some cops and deputies making more than $200k.

This is all public record.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I know a couple of occupational therapists for the county and their pay is about $150k. That's about average for that job. I wouldn't call that a pittance. I also know some cops and deputies making more than $200k.

This is all public record.
Yes, my salary is also public record - and none of us librarians earn more than $80-100K, unless you're an upper-level manager. That's likely the case for those jobs too, but the shock value is better when they just say "police officer" instead of "supervising district manager" or whatnot.

Our COUNTY Librarian earns like $250K, but she manages the operations for 8 libraries and 500+ employees. So I think that's a reasonable wage for those responsibilities in this area. And isn't an occupational therapist practically a physician? It does require some extensive schooling.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:37 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Quote:

The reason being:

Maybe AI can automate some of these jobs to drive more efficiency. For those remaining, it would allow them to be paid a fair wage without breaking the bank.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, my salary is also public record - and none of us librarians earn more than $80-100K, unless you're an upper-level manager. That's likely the case for those jobs too, but the shock value is better when they just say "police officer" instead of "supervising district manager" or whatnot.
I know what you're saying, but the occupational therapists I mentioned are not managers. They are just occupational therapists.

These are not one-offs, like that police deputy making $450k mentioned a few months ago.

In my own city, most of the police officers are making near $200k. The sergeants and lieutenants are making almost $400k in total benefits.

Quote:
Our COUNTY Librarian earns like $250K, but she manages the operations for 8 libraries and 500+ employees. So I think that's a reasonable wage for those responsibilities in this area.
$250k doesn't sound unreasonable in that case.

Quote:
And isn't an occupational therapist practically a physician? It does require some extensive schooling.
No, they are considered allied health. They have BS degrees. AFAIK, they don't have any licensing requirements like an RN or doctor.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I know what you're saying, but the occupational therapists I mentioned are not managers. They are just occupational therapists.

These are not one-offs, like that police deputy making $450k mentioned a few months ago.

In my own city, most of the police officers are making near $200k. The sergeants and lieutenants are making almost $400k in total benefits.
With benefits includes pension and health insurance, though. If you include my pension, it more than doubles my "salary" - so do keep that in mind. In the private sector, they typically have even more saved up for retirement. We just aren't privy to those numbers!

Yes, some city/public workers earn a very good living. But they're the top tier, not the norm. Now go look at median salaries for us, and you'll see it isn't all that impressive. Also, the ones who SHOULD be earning more typically aren't. Like teachers, librarians, custodians, groundskeepers, etc.

Quote:
No, they are considered allied health. They have BS degrees. AFAIK, they don't have any licensing requirements like an RN or doctor.
Oh, okay. Maybe I was thinking of physical therapists; they're not doctors, but do require education and training beyond just a BA/BS equivalent. If I'm not mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland