Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times

Advertisements

I saw a house in Concord (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed) that looks beautiful and seems to be in a decent neighborhood. It's going for $550K. Closer to the bay, that home would go for at least $1M in Fremont. Why is Concord so inexpensive? It's not "ghetto", as you head south closer to Walnut Creek, the neighborhood seems nicer, crime is a similar rate to north San Jose... so, aside from the school system not being good, what gives?

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 12:21 PM

540 posts, read 652,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
I saw a house in Concord (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed) that looks beautiful and seems to be in a decent neighborhood. It's going for $550K. Closer to the bay, that home would go for at least $1M in Fremont. Why is Concord so inexpensive? It's not "ghetto", as you head south closer to Walnut Creek, the neighborhood seems nicer, crime is a similar rate to north San Jose... so, aside from the school system not being good, what gives?
I don't think many people know about concord. Bart runs out there it's not that far from Oakland or SF I really don't get it. Prices are only a little more expensive than high crime suburbs like Pittsburg and Antioch.

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 07:30 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Maybe I should go back and edit the post to say something like Pittsburgh or another city and keep Concord a secret... ! hehe

Old 01-07-2016, 12:25 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Parts of Concord are "ghetto" and have occasional shootings and gang activity, not the area of that property you listed though. Some areas can be kind of far from the freeway too, but those areas tend to be the nicer areas with slightly better schools too so kind of a trade off. I think it's mainly the schools that contribute to Concord's more reasonable housing costs. It is definitely one of the better deals in the Bay Area overall imo. I live in Concord and its fine and we're satisfied, if we still live here when my kids go off to school we'll send them to private though.

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 07:29 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 12:28 PM

35 posts, read 33,591 times
Quote:
Quick look on Zillow, the schools. Martinez, Walnut Creek, and some place called Pleasant Hill are showing 8s and 9s on School rankings... Concord is right beside Pittsburg with 3s, 4s, and 5s.

Rankings aren't everything but strong rankings tend to drive demand into an area... for someone completely naive about an area, rankings mean even more as they are seen as an indicator of the sort of area. Personally, I believe high test scores and good grades come as much from parents setting expectations at home (and in PTA meetings) as the actual teachers. Those types of expectations come from parents who are highly educated and successful themselves, they place a premium on education and grades. If I move some place with highly rated schools, I'll likely have neighbors with similar beliefs and backgrounds.

There are expectations to anything... but that's my logic.

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 12:43 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
The bolded is why. It's farther from the Bay, and it's not upscale, like Lafayette or Walnut Creek.

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The bolded is why. It's farther from the Bay, and it's not upscale, like Lafayette or Walnut Creek.
But Livermore is even farther and far more expensive. Is Livermore much more upscale? I thought it was rural. What about Dublin? It's a lot more expensive than Concord and roughly the same distance from the bay. Isn't Dublin about the same in terms of affluence as the better parts of Concord?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:59 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEmmert View Post
Quick look on Zillow, the schools. Martinez, Walnut Creek, and some place called Pleasant Hill are showing 8s and 9s on School rankings... Concord is right beside Pittsburg with 3s, 4s, and 5s.

Rankings aren't everything but strong rankings tend to drive demand into an area... for someone completely naive about an area, rankings mean even more as they are seen as an indicator of the sort of area. Personally, I believe high test scores and good grades come as much from parents setting expectations at home (and in PTA meetings) as the actual teachers. Those types of expectations come from parents who are highly educated and successful themselves, they place a premium on education and grades. If I move some place with highly rated schools, I'll likely have neighbors with similar beliefs and backgrounds.

There are expectations to anything... but that's my logic.
So it sounds like Concord is a bargain for those who do not have any need of a good school system. E.g. empty nesters, childless, homeschoolers, etc.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:41 PM

13 posts, read 16,808 times
The price of a home is what the current market is willing to pay for that home. The Appraisal will reflect that with any Neighborhood Comps plus upgrades. The list price is not necessarily what the home will sell for. I am a local Realtor I would be happy to help anyone looking to buy or sell or has any questions regarding real estate, message me anytime.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:57 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
But Livermore is even farther and far more expensive. Is Livermore much more upscale? I thought it was rural. What about Dublin? It's a lot more expensive than Concord and roughly the same distance from the bay. Isn't Dublin about the same in terms of affluence as the better parts of Concord?
Schools are a lot better overall in those cities. Plus those cities don't really have any bad areas like Concord does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland