Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM

24 posts, read 80,877 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 years old and live in San Diego,Ca ... I'm still in school and have no "career" job just your average receptionist, I neither have a boyfriend or kids or anything really that I'm committed to stay in this city, except fear of missing out on stuff with friends but not a good enough reason I guess. I LOVE San Diego but am itching for something new.. I'm in my 20's and before it's too late would like to venture out.. So I'm contemplating a move to either NYC or San Francisco.. I'm a very outgoing super social person I love to cook, food , reading, good cup of coffee, theme parties, bars/nightlife, I like to try new things but am not an adrenaline junkie. I'm going to school to study Hospitality & Tourism, my question is what city is best?? I'm AWARE both cities are expensive, so I would plan to have a good savings before going and don't mind working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, I have done it before. Any experience or advice would be wonderful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
If I was in your situation, I would do New York (though it does help to be an adrenaline junkie there ). You definitely get more for the expense, and it would be a one-in-a-lifetime experience. The Bay Area is a better place when you get into your 30s and are looking for a lifestyle revolving around good food & drink & general QOL, while NYC is a lifestyle you experience while you still have the energy to do it.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keh06 View Post
I'm AWARE both cities are expensive, so I would plan to have a good savings before going and don't mind working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, I have done it before. Any experience or advice would be wonderful
But are you going to have any time or money left to enjoy life if you're working all the time, just to get by?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
I'd do NYC, simply because it's a 24-hour city. SF might be better for you in 5 or 10 years.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Well SF will be easier to move to. I'd apply to jobs in both places and see what happens, I don't think the economy is good enough yet to devote all your attention to one city that you pick. So it's good to have two (or more) places you're interested in.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
if your a native Californian, I would definitely pick San Francisco, plus you would be closer to family / friends and it would be easier to adapt to SF than moving across to the east coast

NYC just seems so far away and foreign to me? almost like a whole different country, plus I cant stand the harsh east coast weather, if your use to nice weather, NYC will be like hell compared to San Diego or SF

Last edited by mr bolo; 01-17-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
If you're really looking for a REAL change, go for the gusto, the Big Kahnuna, the Full Monty, the whole nine yards. That means The Big Apple. It will be the adventure of a lifetime and something real to write home about. Comparatively, SF is NYC writ very small.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 AM

24 posts, read 80,877 times
Thanks everyone!! All of your honest advice has given me lots to think about! I have been to SF and love it! I'm planning a trip to NYC in May and then after that will make my decision

Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keh06 View Post
Thanks everyone!! All of your honest advice has given me lots to think about! I have been to SF and love it! I'm planning a trip to NYC in May and then after that will make my decision
Very wise!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
moving to NYC is almost like leaving the country, it's over 3,000 miles away! you will be a very long way from home

personally I dont think I would ever want to leave California, it's such a great place to live, I dont see why you would want to leave it, I would guess more people from back east come to CA than people from CA moving back east

the weather alone is a good excuse to stay in California

plus it's a whole different culture in NYC, sounds like a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland