Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times

Advertisements

The areas to the North and East of Lake Merritt are nice but the areas to the west and south of it have crime, people I've known who lived around there didn't feel safe going out at night and would hear shootings from time to time. The Lake Merritt BART station is in the area to the south of the lake and it's in kind of a dingy and sketchy area.

I would really not tell a woman to walk alone around the Macarthur or Lake Merritt BART stations at 1AM but that's just me. Rockridge is a hell of a lot less sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:13 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
The areas to the North and East of Lake Merritt are nice but the areas to the west and south of it have crime, people I've known who lived around there didn't feel safe going out at night and would hear shootings from time to time. The Lake Merritt BART station is in the area to the south of the lake and it's in kind of a dingy and sketchy area.

I would really not tell a woman to walk alone around the Macarthur or Lake Merritt BART stations at 1AM but that's just me. Rockridge is a hell of a lot less sketchy.
As a woman who's walked alone around both late at night, I'd have to say it depends I've also taken the bus home from MacArthur, as well. If you're walking through the Merritt neighborhood on your way home, it's a bit sketchier, but like I said, it depends.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I agree with lmkl1707. I am a woman and I've walked home from Macarthur plenty of times, incident free.

It does amaze me, considering how dense the areas around Lake Merritt are, how desserted it can be. It is just bizarre.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchWife View Post
Me & my husband are looking into moving to the East Bay from SF. I'm off work at 12 am and would be taking the last BART (weekends too), but it just occurred to me it might be better to avoid certain BART stations at that time.

Does anyone know which BART stations are particularly unsafe late at night?

We're looking as far out as Concord which would probably be fine but would prefer less of a commute so San Leandro, Hayward etc., and the stations around Oakland/Berkeley are the ones I'm asking about.

Thanks!

Last train is at midnight and that is from the last station on the line. You would have to hustle to make it.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,445,686 times
It depends. Are you looking to get shot or stabbed on the way home?

nyuk nyuk. jk. well, sorta.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Bart does not run at 1am.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 PM

17 posts, read 79,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Bart does not run at 1am.
It does if it's the last stop!

As I said, I'm off at midnight and would catch the last BART train, so depending on how long that trip takes it could be 1 am before I get home if move out far enough.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Last train is at midnight and that is from the last station on the line. You would have to hustle to make it.
A guy I work with lives in the Oakland and yes, he has to hustle out to catch his train.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM

I thought it might be helpful to post an email I got in response to which BART stations were considered safer by BART police:

Cc: Tyrone Forte <TForte@bart.gov>; Ken Dam <KDam@bart.gov>

First of all, thank you for contacting the BART Police Department while
performing your due diligence/research for a new residence.

In looking at our most recent 2010 police statistics for part 1 crimes
(i.e. felonies such as burglary, assault with a deadly weapon, etc.), in
comparison to recent years, crime on BART is currently low. You mention in
your e-mail that you have yet to decide which neighborhood in the East Bay
you will move to, so I can only give you a general location(s) of those
neighborhoods near BART stations which are generally considered safe. Here
you go:

Oakland/Rockridge area
Lafayette, Orinda, Walnut Creek, and Pleasant Hill areas
El Cerrito Plaza area
Fremont area

If you need specific criminal statistical information from BART Police,
please contact Crime Analyst/Officer Ken Dam (his e-mail is attached to the cc portion of this e-mail).

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you any further questions.

Regards,

Lieutenant Gil Lopez #L22
BART Police Department
800 Madison St., PO Box 12688
Oakland, Ca., 94604-2688
1(877) 679-7000 (Toll-free)
Voicemail: (510) 464-6599 Ext.: 51502
glopez@bart.gov

Aside from Laney College students travelling to and from school, the Lake
Merritt station is usually not very busy at night. Besides, the Lake
Merritt station is the location of BART Police Headquarters.

Hope this helps.

So that may explain the desertion at LK Merritt Stations at night!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,645 times
Wow, that was a really nice, detailed email. The comment about Laney students make sense. Lake Merritt BART also services a few predominantly Asian neighborhoods nearby, who seem to be the primary ridership when I get on there. It's quiet, clean, and nice-looking. The only reason it would be sketchy is if you lived somewhere that would involve having to walk through a sketchy neighborhood at night. It's super-easy to get street parking right in front of the station if you go at off-hours, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland